Guess what...Three Red lights .....AGAIN !!!

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Guess what...Three Red lights .....AGAIN !!!

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Yup the ring of death once again haunts my XBOX, This time i cant march it back into the shop and swap it for a new as its out of its twelve months. Thank god for the three year warranty, although it appears to be a pain to send it off.

How long does it actually take from the day you send it....to getting it back in working order ? Does it actually take 20 days ?

What do they actually do to it ? Just patch it up until it breaks again ?

This seems to happen to me when i am just getting into a game !

Mike :mad:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
matt_mr2t

Re: Guess what...Three Red lights .....AGAIN !!!

Post by matt_mr2t »

How many have you had and how old is this one?
Do you play on it for very long periods of time?
Is it in a ventillated area?
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

matt_mr2t wrote:How many have you had and how old is this one?

none of that really matters with 360's i use my ps3 and 360 in the same tv unit, i play the ps3 a hell of alot more then the 360. since ive had my ps3 ive had 3 360's due to red lights :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

H3RB wrote:

none of that really matters with 360's i use my ps3 and 360 in the same tv unit, i play the ps3 a hell of alot more then the 360. since ive had my ps3 ive had 3 360's due to red lights :thumleft:

Come on, I know your not stupid.

You cant compare them, the PS3 is not prone to over heating, the Xbox is.
There must be a reason why you and this chap have gone through so many. My first one died, it was about 3 years old when it went. The replacement I bought last year has been fine.
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

matt_mr2t wrote:
H3RB wrote:

Come on, I know your not stupid.

You cant compare them, the PS3 is not prone to over heating, the Xbox is.
There must be a reason why you and this chap have gone through so many. My first one died, it was about 3 years old when it went. The replacement I bought last year has been fine.

I make that 2 years to go, if you start saving now it'll only cost you a couple of pounds per week. :thumleft:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

My previous two xboxes got played for hours on end and they were not the Elites and had the old internals which were made of Chocolate.

This Elite has lasted me a year and a half. Ive hardly played it to be fair over the last six months and only just started to get back into it. Ive never left it on longer than it needed to be.

It worked fine last night when i played it for an hour and the rings appeared when i turned it on today.

It is in a very well ventilated room...it sits on a shelf on its loner with nothing around it.

Any way thats not the problem....its when will i get it back fixed im half way through a decal design on Forza !!!!
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

This is my third and it was bought March 08. How long would you say is a very long period of time ? Yes it well ventillated.

#-o
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

When you say you dont play it that often, does that mean it's not even turned on? Do you use it as a DVD player?

I know some people that still have and use their 360's that they bought on launch day...

My old one that died was a launch day one and tbh, never actually got the RROD. My colleague fixed it for a fiver and is currently using it almost daily. :thumleft:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

matt_mr2t wrote:When you say you dont play it that often, does that mean it's not even turned on? Do you use it as a DVD player?

I know some people that still have and use their 360's that they bought on launch day...

My old one that died was a launch day one and tbh, never actually got the RROD. My colleague fixed it for a fiver and is currently using it almost daily. :thumleft:

Well i played it rarely over the past six months....before that it got abused on Halo 3 for 8 hours a day. Ive not used it as a dvd player. Think it stayed turned off for atleast a month running.

Maybe ive just been unlucky.....i met someone once who said thet were on xbox number 7 !!!

UPS picked it up today and i had a chat with the UPS guy.

He said they pick up around 10,000 a week to send to be repaired. Good news though he said it rarely takes two weeks and should have it back in ten days or maybe a week. Most of them get replaced with a new one ....sweet !!!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:When you say you dont play it that often, does that mean it's not even turned on? Do you use it as a DVD player?

Well i played it rarely over the past six months....before that it got abused on Halo 3 for 8 hours a day. Ive not used it as a dvd player. Think it stayed turned off for atleast a month running.

Maybe ive just been unlucky.....i met someone once who said thet were on xbox number 7 !!!

He said they pick up around 10,000 a week to send to be repaired. Good news though he said it rarely takes two weeks and should have it back in ten days or maybe a week. Most of them get replaced with a new one ....sweet !!!

I think thats your problem. Forget if the Xbox can or should be able to work for 8 hours, YOU shouldnt be playing for 8 hours. Thats not good for anyone.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I dont think they actualy fix yours and send it back, they have pre fixed ones in stock and on recipt and diagnosis of yours if it`s warrenty covered the stock one is dispached.

Well thet what happened with mine :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Least MS fix them, by the sounds of it Sony have little interest in fixing broken PS3's. I notice they are now advertising a £5 monthly charge to cover you in the event of a failure.
I'd rather put £5 a month a side and dip into the savings to buy a new one if mine broke.
craig

Post by craig »

platmatt8 wrote:I dont think they actualy fix yours and send it back, they have pre fixed ones in stock and on recipt and diagnosis of yours if it`s warrenty covered the stock one is dispached.

In the case of mine, they fixed it and sent it back, I noted the serial number on mine and it came back with the same one.
Last edited by craig on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

matt_mr2t wrote:Least MS fix them, by the sounds of it Sony have little interest in fixing broken PS3's. .

yup, not a bad service to be fair. UPS paid for send and return plus fixed for free. Can't fault that.
craig

Post by craig »

Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:Yup the ring of death once again haunts my XBOX, This time i cant march it back into the shop and swap it for a new as its out of its twelve months. Thank god for the three year warranty, although it appears to be a pain to send it off.

How long does it actually take from the day you send it....to getting it back in working order ? Does it actually take 20 days ?

Sorry to hear of yet another dead xbox, happens so much there is a term for it lol. I'm on my 3rd 360 now. The first 2 xbox's died within the 12 month warranty so was a simple exchange under 12 month warranty.

I sent my current one to Germany, registered the xbox with MS on xbox.com, requested repair and got the UPS labels to email address, I phoned up UPS and organised collection, and they sorted out the return. Monitored it all online and had my fixed xbox back in 8 days. In my case, the fan had become detached from motherboard, which had warped under heat, so they replaced motherboard, slapped 12 months warranty on it and gave it a 2 hour continuous test.

All the best with getting yours fixed mate :thumleft:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

matt_mr2t wrote:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:

I think thats your problem. Forget if the Xbox can or should be able to work for 8 hours, YOU shouldnt be playing for 8 hours. Thats not good for anyone.

NOTED !!!!

Thats why i no longer play Halo.....
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

platmatt8 wrote:I dont think they actualy fix yours and send it back, they have pre fixed ones in stock and on recipt and diagnosis of yours if it`s warrenty covered the stock one is dispached.

Does your warranty start again if they replace the machine ?

Mike
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

RedMR² wrote:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:Yup the ring of death once again haunts my XBOX, This time i cant march it back into the shop and swap it for a new as its out of its twelve months. Thank god for the three year warranty, although it appears to be a pain to send it off.

Sorry to hear of yet another dead xbox, happens so much there is a term for it lol. I'm on my 3rd 360 now. The first 2 xbox's died within the 12 month warranty so was a simple exchange under 12 month warranty.

I sent my current one to Germany, registered the xbox with MS on xbox.com, requested repair and got the UPS labels to email address, I phoned up UPS and organised collection, and they sorted out the return. Monitored it all online and had my fixed xbox back in 8 days. In my case, the fan had become detached from motherboard, which had warped under heat, so they replaced motherboard, slapped 12 months warranty on it and gave it a 2 hour continuous test.

All the best with getting yours fixed mate :thumleft:

Sounds very similar to me mate !!!
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

nope... its a 3 yr warrenty with no extensions
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

H3RB wrote:nope... its a 3 yr warrenty with no extensions

Im guessing il have to buy a new one eventually then. Any talk of a new XBOX coming out yet or is that still years away ?

Return to “Games Consoles”