Tyres again!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

4age

Tyres again!!

Post by 4age »

Currently running mk 3 rims on my mk 1 and I have goodyear eagle f1's 185/55/15 tyres on them.
Have had trouble with the Goodyears so going to try a change of brands.
Next week Costco are doing 20% off their tyres when buying 4. The only thing is Costco only sell Michelin tyres and they are the pilot exalto 2, does anyone have any opinions on these? Are they any good?
Next thing is the 185/55/15 are over £25 more a tyre than 195/50/15, would the bigger size fit on the mk3 rims and my mk1 car without any problems? If they would fit are there any advantages/disadvantages to running the 195 tyres.
Cheers
dopiaza

Re: Tyres again!!

Post by dopiaza »

195/50/15 is the preferred size for 15" rims - it's almost exactly the same rolling radius as the original 185/60/14 size. As you've already discovered this size is much cheaper as it's widely used.

Goodyear Eagle F1s are amongst the best you can get for all round road use - what problem did you have?

You can get a full set of Toyo Proxes T1R or Yoko Parada Spec 2 (check ebay) fitted for around £150 and I also highly rate the Marangoni Zeta Lineas I've got on mine (also on Mk3 rims). I believe century motorsport are heavily promoting these.

No doubt everyone will have their opinions and Lauren will tell you to get a set of Advan Neova LTS - I don't doubt they are the best but at £100/corner you're geting into the realm of tyres worth more than the car!

I guess a lot depeneds on if you drive the car hard and how many miles you do...
jimi

Post by jimi »

The handling will be crap with 185 x 55's on, change to 195 x 50's all round. I've been running F1's on my MK3 alloys for over 4 years and never had a problem with them, brilliant road tyre for the MK1 :thumleft: that good that I just replaced the rears earlier this year when I got the alloys refurbished and didn't even consider buying an other tyre, went for F1's again :D

Last edited by jimi on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System-G

Post by System-G »

We ran 195/50/15's on our Roadster allows on the SC. They were fine. But our motoring use does not suit Goodyear F1's or Toyo Proxes.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
4age

Post by 4age »

Thanks for the replies guys,looks like it will be 195's all round then!!
This is my second set of eagle f1's and I do really like them and they are awesome in the wet.
The problem I had is the car developed a wobble at about 70mph, so I took the car in to have the wheels balanced and still no better. I thought they hadn't balanced them properly so took it to the garage where I used to live and I know they are S**t hot and really know their stuff! As soon as the guy put the wheels on the balancing machine he told me don't bother the tyres are miss shaped. I know this sounds odd,but when looking at the tyres on the machine it was if they were going up and down! All 4 were like it,I still got them balanced,but they still aren't right.The wobble seemed to appear suddenly,I just took the car out one day and I couldn't hold onto the wheel,but haven't got a clue what caused it.
So anyway that's why I don't fancy eagle f1's again.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

you have to be carefuly with f1's. some are made in germany and brill and some are chinease and awful!
iirc if they are the german ones they say made in germany, but if they say nothing the chances are they are made in china.
have you considered the new asymetrics? ive heard a few people have switched to them and been very impressed.
4agte on the way
buba

Post by buba »

I had a simular prob with some yokohamas. I suspect they had stood around a while, maybe in the heat, and just weren't round. After a while, as the tyres wore, I developed a huge vibe at about 85 (erm . . . . I mean 65 officer) Stuck a pair of kumho's on the front, problem solved. Interestingly I also got a pretty nasty vibe under heavy breaking which went after changing tyres.
4age

Post by 4age »

The only thing I could think of was maybe where the car had been stood and with the heat they had gone out of shape. I don't use the car a huge ammount,but it always goes out at least once a week. I'm not sure if its possible for this to happen as it's not like the car was stood for years with flat tyres.
Anyhow any opinions on the Michelin exalto 2 tyres,I have always had Michelin tyres on my previous cars and have been impressed so think I may give them a whirl this time!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Basically no tyre will ever be perfectly round.

Have you seen the yellow, red & white dots on the sidewalls of some tyres?

These dots indicate various things like stiffest part of the sidewall (White), lightest part (Yokohama Yellow) of the tyre and highest part of sidewall (Yokohama Red). Different manufacturers use different colours though.
Not all tyres will have all the marks and those that do usual only have the Lightest and highest marks (Yellow & Red). The yellow dot is meant to line up with the valve. The red dot (if there is one, should take precedence though and should line up with the lowest part of the rim of the alloy (usually marked with a dimple.

Naturally balancing can help sort out the imperfections so it's not really that important for the yellow dot to line up with the valve.

Then there are the coloured stripes that run the circumference of the tyres (in the tyre tread). These are run-off stripes which prevent the car from pulling to one side. The lightest stripe should be on the outer part of each wheel. If both stripes are biased to the right, the car will have a tendancy to pull to the right.

It's not necessary to adjust the tracking as the tyres will wear to comensate for the run-off. It can also be difficult for directional tyres to be fitted with correct run-off as the suppliers can deliver un-matched sets. The pulling to one side will only be short term until the tyre "beds in"

If a car is left standing for long periods, the tyre can egg. Also locking up will cause flatspots. Either of which balancing will not sort.

And then as mentioned above, Chinese fakes can also show bigger in-perfections.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've got 195/50/15s on my Mk3 Roadster alloys.

I first started out using Goodyear Eagle F1s which were about £32 each a few years ago - these were the best tyre I have had, wet and dry they are awesome!

I then went to Toyo T1Rs as I was feeling a bit skint as the F1s went up in price, these were about £30 each delivered from Camskill - they were good in the dry but pants in the wet but they lasted over 20k miles all round!

I am currently running Vredstein Sportrac 3s at the moment. I was hoping they'd be how they are reviewed - good in the dry but better in the wet, but i am disappointed. They stick like xxxx to a blanket in the dry, but in the wet they are slightly better than the toyos. But it depends how you drive of course.
4age

Post by 4age »

Thanks for the replies so far,I didn't realise how much was involved with tyres! but all interesting stuff.
Checked my tyres and the say made in Germany on the side, so not Chinese fakes which I guess is a good thing.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”