[Mk2] [Turbo] Resetting the fuel gauge

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Craigo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Resetting the fuel gauge

Post by Craigo »

hi guys, i broke my fuel gauge about a year ago when fitting new dials. anyway i took the car to rogue for a service where they managed to get it working. However, ever since the gauge has always read incorrectly (e.g. 1/4 tank indication actually meant it was empty but when it was full the needle was off the scale). anyway....i've tried to fix this but now the needle isnt moving again at all..

can someone please tell me the correct process in terms of putting the needle on/starting the ignition etc as its p1$$ing me off!! :evil:

cheers for your help

craigo
Moo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Resetting the fuel gauge

Post by Moo »

Is the needle not moving at all? If the gauge is broken again there's not much point in resetting it.

Assuming the gauge is working ok and you want to reset it you'll need to take the clear plastic cover off the front of the clocks so you can get get access to the needle. Connect the clocks up with the plastic cover off and with the ignition off remove the fuel gauge needle. Go to the petrol station and fill it to the brim with petrol. Start the car and leave it running long enough for the fuel gauge to have risen to the correct point for a full tank, 5 minutes should be long enough. With the car still running put the fuel gauge needle back on in the correct place for a full tank, just under the F mark at the top of the gauge. Try to get the needle on in one go without moving it up or down as this will throw the reading out again. Once you've got the needle on you can then remove the clocks and put the plastic cover back on again.

This will calibrate the fuel gauge to a known value, i.e., a full tank, but will only work if the fuel gauge is definitely working to start with.
Craigo

Post by Craigo »

cheers mate, very helpful.

seems to be working now - if not...you may see a black Mr2 on the side of a motorway near you alongside a man walking down the hard shoulder with a petrol canister
Moo

Post by Moo »

Craigo wrote:cheers mate, very helpful.

seems to be working now - if not...you may see a black Mr2 on the side of a motorway near you alongside a man walking down the hard shoulder with a petrol canister

Lol, hope it doesn't come to that!

Glad you got it sorted :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Craigo wrote:cheers mate, very helpful.

Just keep it topped up and reset the trip when you fill up, then you can figure out how much you have by how many miles (roughly).
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Craigo wrote:if not...you may see a black Mr2 on the side of a motorway near you alongside a man walking down the hard shoulder with a petrol canister

This might sound bizarre, how about filling the can now... thus eliminating the need to walk along a motorway?

Simples...

:lol:

Return to “Mechanical”