K&N Air Filter fitting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mister2mk1

K&N Air Filter fitting

Post by mister2mk1 »

Hi All

I have a K&N Filter cone and have seen these fitted direct to the T-Vis - I have a 1988 mk1b. I want to benefit from both the performance improvement as well as being rid of all the pipes and air boxes the question is:

Can a K&N Air filter be fitted direct to the T-Vis and what do you have to do with all the smaller tubing???

Is there a write up anywhere??

with thanks
un1eash

Re: K&N Air Filter fitting

Post by un1eash »

Rossyboy99

shield

Post by Rossyboy99 »

is there anyway to modify a sheild for this to prevent heat soak as thats pretty confined in the engine bay and will suffer from the heat, on other cars i've made stainless sheilds to confine the filter within the bay from as much heat as possible etc.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Once moving theres plenty of air flow up through the engine bay to not worry about heat soak.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

un1eash wrote:Once moving theres plenty of air flow up through the engine bay to not worry about heat soak.

If you don't believe this, undo your engine catch and go for a drive, the force of the air will lift the engine lid open at a high enough speed, I cant remember the speed 50-60mph maybe.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: shield

Post by Lauren »

Rossyboy99 wrote:is there anyway to modify a sheild for this to prevent heat soak as thats pretty confined in the engine bay and will suffer from the heat, on other cars i've made stainless sheilds to confine the filter within the bay from as much heat as possible etc.

It doesn't matter, loads of air flow up through the engine bay as other's have said.

Don't worry about it. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

cartledge_uk wrote:
un1eash wrote:Once moving theres plenty of air flow up through the engine bay to not worry about heat soak.

If you don't believe this, undo your engine catch and go for a drive, the force of the air will lift the engine lid open at a high enough speed, I cant remember the speed 50-60mph maybe.

That just demonstates that there is a high pressure in the engine bay compared to above the deck, doesn't confirm that there is high airflow when the cover is closed at all.

/pedant :lol:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

click the link in my sig below for my solution to ensuring cold air! :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

:clap: that is very clever neil looks abit odd that far back but it would work very well :thumleft:

ImageImage
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

LOL cheers for that! :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kaiowas wrote:
That just demonstates that there is a high pressure in the engine bay compared to above the deck, doesn't confirm that there is high airflow when the cover is closed at all.

/pedant :lol:

But it does, because I bungied mine closed really very tightly, due to when I had the original SC conversion and I didn't have the catch in the right place. At around 70mph it was lifting up and the bungie was chuffing tight wrapped around the rear gearbox mount!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

It's still the pressure difference which opens it rather than airflow though.

If you sealed up all the vents so that no flow was possible at all you'd still have the essentially the same pressure differential (it'd actually be slightly higher) and consequently the same force trying to open the lid.
superwhite

Post by superwhite »

Your right, it is the pressure difference. However because the vents are there and there is a big pressure difference then lots of air will be being pulled through the vents = air flow past the filter. just my 2p's worth..

Dave

Edit:

So does that mean if all those daft air scoops that we have seen sticking out of the engine cover were pointing backwards (instead of forwards) they would work quite well. Allowing the air to flow easier from below the car through the engine bay and out of the top?
Most scoops I've seen (and there has been some really big daft ones) are pointing forwards trying to force the air down into the engine bay and I think its known this doesn't work well. Anybody any thoughts?
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

superwhite wrote:Your right, it is the pressure difference. However because the vents are there and there is a big pressure difference then lots of air will be being pulled through the vents = air flow past the filter. just my 2p's worth.

Due to the design of the vents in the engine lid (i.e. not designed for this purpose) they restrict the air flow a fair bit. Air is pushed through the vents, but not lots.
In theory, there's probably still a great deal of air under higher (than atmospheric) pressure circulating inside the engine bay. Some of this air (most likely the hotter air due to convection) will be escaping through the vents at the top. But much of the air will be moving around the engine heating up before either being pushed out the top or sucked in by a filter in there. You can alleviate this problem by ducting some cold air to the filter from under the car...

You're right in that a reversed scoop will help reduce the pressure in the engine bay, but it has to be well placed. A scoop that opens up right into the recirculating flow area directly above the engine lid will not be hugely useful...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”