VW Passat Estate TDi ont he way to work yesterday...

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

fizz

Re: VW Passat Estate TDi ont he way to work yesterday...

Post by fizz »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I had epic bad drivers last weekend.

On a large round about, 3 lanes, going straight over. Left lane is marked left turn only. So middle straight over, and with some common sense, right lane to turn right.

Right lane is for straight ahead as well unless specifically marked for turning right only.

I do that all the time outbrake on approach to roundabout, right hand lane then ahead by the exit. :+:

I got a better one.. where the right lane is marked as right only at a round about.. i drive down it passing all the traffic waiting to go ahead take the round about literally and do a 360% drive round it and exit ahead of the other drivers. Safe and totally legal. :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

fizz wrote:
Lauren wrote:

On a large round about, 3 lanes, going straight over. Left lane is marked left turn only. So middle straight over, and with some common sense, right lane to turn right.

Right lane is for straight ahead as well unless specifically marked for turning right only.

I do that all the time outbrake on approach to roundabout, right hand lane then ahead by the exit. :+:

I got a better one.. where the right lane is marked as right only at a round about.. i drive down it passing all the traffic waiting to go ahead take the round about literally and do a 360% drive round it and exit ahead of the other drivers. Safe and totally legal. :)

Fizz - considerate.
Lauren - yet again admitting to being a horrible, selfish and inconsiderate driver.
I can just about tolerate it when the car in the wrong gets a move on and doesnt cause a problem. But when they drive along side you vying to get in the 1 lane, then they need a sideswipe to their car IMO.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Lauren - yet again admitting to being a horrible, selfish and inconsiderate driver.
I can just about tolerate it when the car in the wrong gets a move on and doesnt cause a problem. But when they drive along side you vying to get in the 1 lane, then they need a sideswipe to their car IMO.

How is that so? What have I done wrong? Am I not correct in foreseeing that approaching a roundabout with two lanes that the right hand lane is for going straight across as well as turning right?

There is absolutely nothing horrible or selfish about it. Please enlighten me as to how you might think that could be.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Lauren - yet again admitting to being a horrible, selfish and inconsiderate driver.

How is that so? What have I done wrong? Am I not correct in foreseeing that approaching a roundabout with two lanes that the right hand lane is for going straight across as well as turning right?

There is absolutely nothing horrible or selfish about it. Please enlighten me as to how you might think that could be.

Do us a favour Lauren. You know full well that performing that sort of manoeuvre causes more trouble than it's worth. One day you'll find yourself trying that with some inexperienced person behind the wheel who'll sh!t themselves and end-up hitting you or being hit from behind as they have to brake.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

There is a thing in life called curtesy. You should learn it sometime.
What you describe is no different to pushing in queues in a shop, would you do that?

And quite a lot of round abouts have designated exit markings on them these days, so it's not always as simple as "you can go straight across fom the right lane"

My instructor also taught me that for anything up to 12 o'clock you use the left lane (unless otherwise marked) and anything after 12 o'clock you use the right lane.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

matt_mr2t wrote:There is a thing in life called curtesy. You should learn it sometime.
What you describe is no different to pushing in queues in a shop, would you do that?

And quite a lot of round abouts have designated exit markings on them these days, so it's not always as simple as "you can go straight across fom the right lane"

My instructor also taught me that for anything up to 12 o'clock you use the left lane (unless otherwise marked) and anything after 12 o'clock you use the right lane.

To be fair....who listens to their instructors? They just get told what to do by other inexperienced drivers who don't know their ar$e from their elbow. Driving is talent....you either have it or you don't
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I listened to mine. He'd been an instructor for nearly 40 years and was a very good driver.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Amelio wrote:
Do us a favour Lauren. You know full well that performing that sort of manoeuvre causes more trouble than it's worth. One day you'll find yourself trying that with some inexperienced person behind the wheel who'll sh!t themselves and end-up hitting you or being hit from behind as they have to brake.

It doesn't cause any trouble at all in my experience of doing it for the last 20 years.

Why would someone hit me if they are in another lane?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:There is a thing in life called curtesy. You should learn it sometime.

Who listens to their instructor, what absolute rubbish. I learnt to drive over 20 years ago.

If you had listened to what I said you would have had no trouble in understanding that I said that on roundabouts where the right hand lane is not marked right turn only.

It's not discourteous either, if there is another lane, why not use it? It's a perfectly acceptable manouevre and is in the highway code if you look.

So, sorry I cannot see anything wrong whatsoever in what I'm doing. I've been doing it for 20 years without a single incident.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Lauren wrote:

If more people new that one traffic would flow so much easier, so many times i see people fighting for the middle lane when the right is virtually free, two lanes in, two lanes out...

Saying that, on said rounabout another entrance is left and straight on, middle is straight on and right and the right lane is right only, but it is marked for that...
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If you fly down the outside, overtake on the round about then cut in while exiting you are the one risking an accident which is just not on. While it may be perfectly legal, sometimes you just have to show a bit of curtesy to other drivers and realise that certain risks are not worth taking. If you get past the person with plenty of space it's almost acceptable. But when you make them brake because you cut in right at the last possible minute you're asking for a collision and IMO, it'd be your fault.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:If you fly down the outside, overtake on the round about then cut in while exiting you are the one risking an accident which is just not on. While it may be perfectly legal, sometimes you just have to show a bit of curtesy to other drivers and realise that certain risks are not worth taking. If you get past the person with plenty of space it's almost acceptable. But when you make them brake because you cut in right at the last possible minute you're asking for a collision and IMO, it'd be your fault.

Who said I was 'flying' down the outside? Are you making assumptions?

Not cutting in at all, well ahead by that point, solely because I realised way ahead of the duffer that the roundabout is clear so I don't need to stop and look around for the sake of it.

So, no i'm not risking an accident. If anything what i'm doing is perfectly correct. There is no risk, not if you look ahead which lets face it 99.9% of drivers are incapable of doing.

But i'm not cutting in at the last minute.

Remember not everyone (thankfully) drives like you do.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:If you fly down the outside, overtake on the round about then cut in while exiting you are the one risking an accident which is just not on. While it may be perfectly legal, sometimes you just have to show a bit of curtesy to other drivers and realise that certain risks are not worth taking. If you get past the person with plenty of space it's almost acceptable. But when you make them brake because you cut in right at the last possible minute you're asking for a collision and IMO, it'd be your fault.

Who said I was 'flying' down the outside? Are you making assumptions?

Not cutting in at all, well ahead by that point, solely because I realised way ahead of the duffer that the roundabout is clear so I don't need to stop and look around for the sake of it.

So, no i'm not risking an accident. If anything what i'm doing is perfectly correct. There is no risk, not if you look ahead which lets face it 99.9% of drivers are incapable of doing.

But i'm not cutting in at the last minute.

Remember not everyone (thankfully) drives like you do.

lmao :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The people I have mentioned on this thread DO pass you then cut in at the last minute, you said it was fine, so yes, I did assume that by you condoning that action that is what you did.

If you are well ahead by the time you pass, I do indeed see no problem.

No need to get so touchy though.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

seems like the left lane for roundabouts is left or straight over, right hand lane for turning right or going all way round. Unless of course the lanes are marked differently. As ever some folks do what they want cause they know better.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070338
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

allan welsh wrote:seems like the left lane for roundabouts is left or straight over, right hand lane for turning right or going all way round. Unless of course the lanes are marked differently. As ever some folks do what they want cause they know better.

Thats what I was taught. Although there are quite a number of instances where the left lane is left only and is marked as such with an arrow.

The roundabout I was talking about is the same. Left for left. Middle and right for everything else. And yes, there is an arrow in the right lane for straight over. It's not that I dont agree it's legal. I just dont agree with people zooming down the right lane then cutting people in the middle lane up. Especially when some xxxxx in the left lane didnt go left and decides to cut you up from the other side at the same time ](*,)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

allan welsh wrote:seems like the left lane for roundabouts is left or straight over, right hand lane for turning right or going all way round. Unless of course the lanes are marked differently. As ever some folks do what they want cause they know better.

Thing is though when you have two lanes on the approach and two lanes on the exit in the straight ahead position then the right lane is an appropriate lane to use to go straight over because you approach in the right hand lane and join the right hand lane on the exit.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Lauren wrote:

Thing is though when you have two lanes on the approach and two lanes on the exit in the straight ahead position then the right lane is an appropriate lane to use to go straight over because you approach in the right hand lane and join the right hand lane on the exit.

well that diagram doesn't mark it like that so i guess that woould be for the insurers to argue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

allan welsh wrote:well that diagram doesn't mark it like that so i guess that woould be for the insurers to argue

Obviously the diagram doesn't cover every eventuality. No idea why insurers would be that interested in all honesty. I don't normally call them to check after making a manouevre.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

That happened to be back in 2001: I was in the left hand lane approaching a roundabout with two lane exit straight over. The car in the right lane next to me wanted to use the same exit, but instead of following the road round and exiting into the right lane they decided to come across into my lane and clip the rear end of my Focus. Luckily it was at relatively slow speeds so no spinning out or anything, but for some reason he missed the bloody great lump of a car that was ahead of him at the time :evil:

Insurers were good as gold about it though, as although they went knock for knock (and I was too young/inexperienced to know any better to argue) I didn't lose any NCB or even my excess, and had no premium increase the following year. No idea how that worked out to this day, but then again it was so long ago I don't really care. As Lauren has said, I can't see any issue about doing that at all, however it does p1$$ me off (never mind is actually highly aggressive and bloody dangerous) when there's a queue in the left lane to go straight over, and someone can't be bothered to wait and comes flying down the right hand lane and cuts everyone up to go straight over, just because they're too impatient to wait and use a roundabout properly =;

Return to “Driving Experiences”