Warm MR2 turbo - effortlessly fast but ......boring?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

JJ

Re: Warm MR2 turbo - effortlessly fast but ......boring?

Post by JJ »

it IS illegal to have your car sideways on the public highway as it's driving without due care and attention

In my young childish days, I came out of a petrol station hanging the Corollas ar5e across two lanes..... all in control... when straightened up... noticed a nice white car with a flashing roof rack ! :mrgreen:

How magoo of me not to notice that when I pulled out.... #-o

I was totally in the wrong, but as it was damp.....and the nice law obiding officer wouldnt let me off without apologising... could only put my head down and apologise and plead that it was a loss of control on my half... ! :mrgreen:

No points inccured....

Incidently, on another offending topic.... you know you can be slapped for eratic acceleration.... ??!! 3 times I've been pulled and ridiculed... blitzing it off roundabouts... but not breaking the limit... go figure... :-k
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

it IS illegal to have your car sideways on the public highway as it's driving without due care and attention

It is not necessarilly illegal to do it, but would be classified under driving without due care and attention, but then lots can be. Running out of petrol so that your vehicle ends up in a place whereby it causes risk to other road users then that can also be classified as driving without due care and attention. I know someone who actually got cautioned under this.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

in response to the original poster, unless you go for an Elise a VX220, or a stripped out car like an Integra Type-R or Megane R26.R I would put a tuned MR2 turbo among the MOST interesting and "eventful" cars to drive.

I mean drive a fast BMW, Audi (zzzz), Subaru or VW and they are just so, so cosseted and competent to drive they lack any thrill. the MR2 has a turbo and a raw, rally-bred engine popping away behind your head in a proper sportscar cockpit. A 3-series might have a nice engine and a balanced chassis but its a commuter car. A Golf R32 makes a nice noise, but its fat and soft and has the same interior as my mother's car but with more leather and fake brushed aluminium trim.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I know exactly what this guy is getting at, thrashing a high reving N/A engine to get evey last drop of fun out of it can be more interesting than driving a very capable 2L turbo.

If you are bored of your tubby you need to try a Mk1.5.......AMAZING
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Does nearly 6 months count as necroposting? :eye:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Nothing wrong with waking the dead!.......Is there?
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Imo the only nice NAs to rev are the VTEC engines. Really sweet and rewarding. The BEAMs 3sge comes close too.

Other than that, I would say high displacement V8s, V10s and V12 all the way! :thumleft:

There's more fun in a 2 litre with a turbo (or supercharger) slapped on it.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

I love both the Na and Turbo :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

sw20GTS wrote:Imo the only nice NAs to rev are the VTEC engines. Really sweet and rewarding. The BEAMs 3sge comes close too.

Other than that, I would say high displacement V8s, V10s and V12 all the way! :thumleft:

There's more fun in a 2 litre with a turbo (or supercharger) slapped on it.

my brothers black top 20v we put in his corolla is great to rev ,every time i drive it a wring its neck to 9000rpm :lol: i turn into the devil him self every time i get init :lol:
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

I think the biggest "problem" with turbo cars is that, on the sort of roads where driving is really enjoyable, you are likely to end up travelling (and, most importantly, cornering) at inappropriately high speeds IF you make full use of the power.

A few mates of mine bought themselves trail bikes for riding around a disused quarry.
They all bought Yamaha DT125s or Kawasaki KMX125s etc except one guy who thought he'd get himself a 250 instead.
He regretted it almost immediately.
125s was fast enough to be enjoyable whereas the 250 was just mental and, as a result, required far too much concentration to really be fun.

Also, as my mate inevitably discovered, crashing a 125 at "fun" speeds required the rider to dust themselves down and get back on whereas crashing the bike at 250 warp-speed required an ambulance, a plaster cast and a new bike.

He bought a 125 second time around.
Blacklightning66

Post by Blacklightning66 »

Ive just recently got my 2 back on the road after changing the clutch.

Its deffo faster and handles better than my Golf Gti, Id still say its less involving driving the 2 as its just does it and as the poster above states with the bike comparaison, if I was to drive the 2 the same way as you need to drive the Golf to get it going, Id be in the dock with a Judge up my ass and the book being throown at me.

The 2 is still fun in its own way, (destroying anything at the lights, especialy if its a some plick in his Bimmer or a car full of Chavs or a Porker boxer driver ) put a smile on me chevy chase :)
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

lol i litterally got my mr2 driving again 2 days ago, its been off the road for 4years (apart from a couple of months running in @ summer last year) while i built a monster engine, its currently pushing 420bhp 370 lbft and im bored of it already lol.

yes its fun, crazy and gets lots of attention, but its still not 'ultra fast' !! I think i will never be happy with the power until the day comes that i press the go pedal and scare the living daylights out of myself! i now know that i will most certainly need the 500whp that i have been planning for from the start 4 years ago. 8)
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

RyanRs wrote:lol i litterally got my mr2 driving again 2 days ago, its been off the road for 4years (apart from a couple of months running in @ summer last year) while i built a monster engine, its currently pushing 420bhp 370 lbft and im bored of it already lol.

yes its fun, crazy and gets lots of attention, but its still not 'ultra fast' !! I think i will never be happy with the power until the day comes that i press the go pedal and scare the living daylights out of myself! i now know that i will most certainly need the 500whp that i have been planning for from the start 4 years ago. 8)

Only thing is, once you get to 500bhp these things really aren't reliable at all. It won't be turbos going at this power, it'll be the bleeding driveshafts lol
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

I'm missing the Tubby now, I never thought I would - always thought it was "just another car" but I think I want another one, try and get a decent one this time though!!! have to save up for a while, but definitely want another!!!
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Bottom line the MR2 brings a huge grin factor. Makes you work hard - part of the fun!

E.g., my Evo, pushing almost 650BHP is fun, but your almost connected to it. Its unbelievable how cocky you can get with the Evo, mid-corner you plant the throttle and it stays planted!

My MR2 on the other hand, even at a bar of boost creates something like 520BHP but is soooo much more fun then the Evo. And when you get it right, its so rewarding!
M5
greeny

Post by greeny »

RyanRs wrote:

Ha Ryan, mine scared me for the first time on saturday at york!

I started in the left lane and finished in the right :mrgreen:

Start pushing 2+bar then things get more interesting :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
greeny

Post by greeny »

V8Killer wrote:Bottom line the MR2 brings a huge grin factor. Makes you work hard - part of the fun!

E.g., my Evo, pushing almost 650BHP is fun, but your almost connected to it. Its unbelievable how cocky you can get with the Evo, mid-corner you plant the throttle and it stays planted!

My MR2 on the other hand, even at a bar of boost creates something like 520BHP but is soooo much more fun then the Evo. And when you get it right, its so rewarding!

Have you had yours at the strip yet V8killer?

Are you doing TOTB?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “Driving Experiences”