carbotech users

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quigonjay

carbotech users

Post by Quigonjay »

need new pads before i go on a trackday
i was wondering if anyone has gone from redstuff pads to carbotech or vice versa and can compare the two, never used either personally, always been on stock
always been said on here that the carbotechs are the ultimate pad but they are over £300 now for a full set on rogues website :(
can get a set of redstuffs for £95
yes they are better, but are they 3 times better? :-k
cheers
Jay
travisfububarker

Re: carbotech users

Post by travisfububarker »

Not sure how useful this is as I've never used Redstuff of carbotechs, but I run Mintex M1144 all round on standard disks with braided lines and they were excellent :thumleft: (£80 a pair for info)

Jonny
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

a pair or a full set? (all 4 corners?)
travisfububarker

Post by travisfububarker »

Roughly £80 for front and £80 for rear, that's on a rev2+ setup. It's kindof midway pricewise between carbotech and EBC.

Jonny
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i'd still go for the redstuffs at that price unless there any more suggestions
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

forget the redstuffs - go for yellowstuffs - they are proper track pads - redstuff are rubbish by comparison.
Full set ~£110
Carbotechs are the best but at a price, yellowstuff 95% as good.
Mark
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

are they not a bit much for the road if not a track regular? (wont be doing another trackday for a while)
how are they from cold?
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

I had a set of red stuff front and rear which i used on one track day, the stopping power was amazing for the cost. I then fitted yellow stuff to the front for my next track day and i found them far less impressive. I'll defo be switching back to reds before i go on track again.

Personally i can't justify the price of carbotechs for a road/track car. Maybe if it were solely for track use.

Bri
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Get carbotecs mate trust me u won't regret it! I've had red stuff b4 and found them 2 b worse than stock if I'm honest!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

three times the price of even yellowstuff isnt easy to justify though, this is the point
i mean is the difference like and night and day? it would have to be to sway me to the carbotechs
Baker

Post by Baker »

300 for brake pads?

ive just paid 40 for a whole set and my car stops on a pin! :-k

But i guess i dont use it for tracks, so theyd probably fade within 5 minutes.
JJ

Post by JJ »

1 more vote for Yellow stuff ! :thumleft: Need some bedding in though.. so dont expect them to sharpen up soon as you fit them, you'll end up in the back of another car !!

Red stuff.... agreed... stock are better.... I've never been so dissapointed in brake bads to the point I took them off after 2 weeks ! I've been told the compound has improved in recent years... but I take some convincing !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

for 300 quid, you could upgrade the size of your brakes, more stopping than a pair of pads
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

can get a full set of the yellowstuffs for £107 delivered on ebay :thumleft:
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

im running redstuff pads on standard discs and the stopping power on the road is very good!

i done my first trackday using standard pads, and it melted them within the day and were rubbish for the track, i couldnt go any faster on the track, even though i wanted to as i had to drive within the limits of the standard setup.

I spent 3 weeks researching what to do about it and after speaking to many people with a huge topic on this (below) i went for brand new oem discs all round and redstuff pads. as i said, i havent tested them on the track yet, but they seem to work great on the road

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

another vote for yellowstuff! :thumleft: need a bit of bedding in but are excellent, even from cold.

matt
JJ

Post by JJ »

mattymr2 wrote:another vote for yellowstuff! :thumleft: need a bit of bedding in but are excellent, even from cold.
matt

Yeah.. that something that opened my eyes... the bite is pretty good from cold as well.... :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

First off - Carbotech pads are expensive and there's no way to argue otherwise. They are however used almost exclusively throughout the MR2 Championship, even though competitors are free to choose whatever pads they want. I currently have eight MR2 Championship race cars and three Super GT cars - all of which run Carbotech XP8 brake pads. Believe me if there was a cheaper way to kit out all of these cars I'd be doing that...

I was about to make the point that road use might be a different case, but I've just remembered that Carolyns brakes came up for renewal earlier this year and I put Carbotech Panther Plus on her car. It already has AP Racing four pots on the front. I guess I'm just not willing to compromise where her safety is concerned. 8-[

The long and the short of it is that there are plenty of pads out there that are better than stock. Carbotech sit at the very top of that pile, you just have to decide for yourself what's worth it for you.

BTW, if anyone wants to experience Carbotech pads then I'll happily demonstrate for you in one of our road legal race cars.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

When I first bought a nicely sorted rev5 turbo a few years ago, I jumped straight in from a daily hack rev3 n/a with Carbotech pads, to the turbo equipped with Yellow Stuff Pads.
On the way home I sensed there wasn't the usual bite I was used to, but braking from 70-80 relatively hard the difference was staggering.
Needless to say the Yellow Stuff pads came off and Carbotech's went on.

Once you've experienced not just good but brilliant braking power on an MR2, it's very difficult to go back.
Part of that may well be psychological, the driver becomes familiar with their own stopping distance and has no desire to lengthen the time it takes to stop the car - who knows?

60-0 in less than 2 seconds, that'll be the Carbotech pads...

8)
Marf

Post by Marf »

Which carbotech pads would people recommend for road use?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”