Most comfortable coil overs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobCrezz

Most comfortable coil overs

Post by RobCrezz »

I really want a set of coilovers (got some redundancy money to spend :D ), but dont want a rock solid ride as the car is 90% road car. Alternatively, I could go for a good set of springs, but the springs that are on the car are not too good, as the car feels under damped (apparently the black billies are still ok) .

Anyone got any recommendations?
Peter C

Re: Most comfortable coil overs

Post by Peter C »

Avoid Tein springs.

I had a set of -40mm Tein springs on my previous Rev3 and ride comfort was absolutely dreadful.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Well dont get Cusco's then, rock solid ride with them :lol:
mks2005

Post by mks2005 »

i got some yellow spings on mnie no idea what make they are but it hurts when you go over bumps..

oh wait this dont help one bit LOL.. other than steer clear of the yellow ones kinda like yellow snow.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Haha, all the springs you guys have sound like my ones.

Im not after a softly softly ride, but im sure there must be a way to get a firm ride that doesnt crash and bottom out all the time.
Moo

Post by Moo »

I've not used them myself but have heard good things said about Eibach Pro lowering springs in that they don't sacrifice much of the original ride quality.

Another set of springs to avoid are the Fensport ones. Had a set of these once and omg, talk about harsh ride :shock:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Tricky question since it's the combo of spring AND strut that will determine ride comfort and roadholding. I also have experience of the Fensport springs and found them very harsh but then they were matched (or rather not matched) to standard and very old shocks and topmounts. Currently I'm on Teins and find them tolerable comfort wise on the road though at slow speeds on poor surfaces I'll admit they can be irritating. 95% of the time though they're fine but then they are coupled with yellow billies and TRD topmounts.
Looks like you have what... 18s on your car? I think if it were me and didn't want to change my wheels and/or struts then likewise I might be looking at the Eibachs.... don't lower much though I've heard.

R.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

PS. If you're going to JAE you could use it as a great opportunity to get some rides in variously sprung cars to get a feel for what you want.

R.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

I have stock shocks and springs and the ride is also a little bumpy. Running standard wheels and tires as well on recommended PSI (on the door).

I use it as a daily driver and most of the roads here are reaaaaaaly bad. Some of them are even cobbled :(

I am wondering if there are any (adjustable?) aftermarket solutions that could perhaps achieve a more comfortable level? Lowering it of course is a bonus :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've got these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MR2-TRD- ... ccessories

And the ride is lovely, no crashing over bumps but still feels nice and stiff. YMMV depending on damper and arb setup.
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Ive had a set of BC Racing coilovers on for a week now and the ride is pretty smart. And it is set at level 8 hardness on a scale of 0-30 positions with 0 being the hardest.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

I done a bit of research on the US owners club forum a while ago regarding coilovers. Everyone seemed to agree H&R coilovers are easily the best coilovers for comfort, expensive at over a grand though.

And if you don't want coilovers then Koni yellow inserts with rebuildable struts combined with Eibach pro springs as the sport springs are a little more harsh.
steve

Post by steve »

the most comfortable coilovers i've had are my current H&R's, the ride isnt much different to the standard turbo setup :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

coilovers and comfort in the same sentence, :shock: i thought all coilovers had a hard ride for you trackday junkies, comfort would be standard shocks with decent springs and then it wouldnt be comfortable either best buy a standard boring car. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

nofearmadbiker wrote:coilovers and comfort in the same sentence, :shock: i thought all coilovers had a hard ride for you trackday junkies, comfort would be standard shocks with decent springs and then it wouldnt be comfortable either best buy a standard boring car. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Any recommendation for decent springs? Stock tires, wheels, shocks and springs and its still pretty punishing since the roads here are really bad. :(
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

HighwayStar wrote:Tricky question since it's the combo of spring AND strut that will determine ride comfort and roadholding. I also have experience of the Fensport springs and found them very harsh but then they were matched (or rather not matched) to standard and very old shocks and topmounts. Currently I'm on Teins and find them tolerable comfort wise on the road though at slow speeds on poor surfaces I'll admit they can be irritating. 95% of the time though they're fine but then they are coupled with yellow billies and TRD topmounts.
Looks like you have what... 18s on your car? I think if it were me and didn't want to change my wheels and/or struts then likewise I might be looking at the Eibachs.... don't lower much though I've heard.

R.

17s.

Tempted by them TRD springs...
Marf

Post by Marf »

I think we may have had this conversation before, but is there something specific that you don't like about the stock bilstein setup?

I've just replaced my aged billies/springs/top mounts with some much lower mile second hand ones(along with rosejointed drop links) and the handling has sharpened up immensely.

The dampers react quickly whilst still providing comfort, and the rosejointed drop links have eliminated a noticeable amount of body roll.

Will also be fitting a poly bush kit shortly 8)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Yeah maybe mine are just tired...

Maybe my dampers are fine, and its the springs that are no good. I dont know enough about this to figure out whats making it crashy.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yeah mine was pretty crashy too before replacing the shocks/springs/topmounts. Its much better now.

Not sure where you can buy springs on there own, I know TCB offer black billies, dunno if they do the springs too :-k
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

What springs did you go for?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”