Mk1b restoration... its alive..and painted!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jon_st205

Re: Mk1b restoration... its alive..and painted!!

Post by jon_st205 »

I feel your TPS pain, I've become an expert recently! If it now won't start or just burps a couple of times I'd suggest your dizzy is now one tooth out - as Lauren suggested on my thread just line it up with no.1 on the dizzy cap (with the cap removed). I found this easier than trying to line up the blobs.

In my case I'm fairly sure the TPS problem was actually down to corroded connections on the TPS multiplug, but a little way back from the boot itself making it tricky to isolate. Could be worth a bash.

Jon
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

From your description, it seems to me that the ign timing is too far out Sam

Set it on TDC & make sure the dizzy isn't a tooth out I would suggest
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Jon did you suffer with poor timing issues with your TPS problems?

I have a flat spot which I think is down to not having a working TVIS, but it has been mentioned that the TPS could be out...
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Yeah basically you can't get it to idle properly as the ECU thinks it's off the throttle stop and adds a load of advance; you can't then set the timing at 10DBTDC as you normally would.

I could be wrong but I think the TPS input to the ECU on a UK spec car is fairly limited, as it uses the MAP sensor instead. If it's not detecting WOT properly I guess that would give you a flat spot, but that would be a failed TPS rather than one that needed to be adjusted. Not sure it's your problem in this case.

Jon
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

this is not getting any better...

I charged the battery, re set the engine to TDC, pulled the dizzy, reset the dizzy to Number 1, re insert the dizzy.

Get the wife to turn it over while i try the throttle and spraying easy start into the plenum.... Nothing... not a sausage, not even a splutter, just the sound of the starter motor cranking it over.

I have checked for fuel (although not fuel pressure) and the Pump is definitely delivering it to the rail, there are no diagnostic codes flashing up when i bridge the ports..

I got the wife to crank the engine over as i put the induction bit of my timing light on the HT leads to each cylinder and each one flashed so there should be a spark.

i have some how right royally managed to balls this one up!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This may have already been asked and answered, but have you got a spark?
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

boondougal wrote:this is not getting any better...

I got the wife to crank the engine over as i put the induction bit of my timing light on the HT leads to each cylinder and each one flashed so there should be a spark.

Not conclusive but was a quick and simple test... i'll pull the plugs and check the old fashioned way tomorrow
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sorry I did read that part, then forgot it immediately!!!

Leads in the right order? Most of the time its the simplest of errors which are overlooked.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Sorry I did read that part, then forgot it immediately!!!

Leads in the right order? Most of the time its the simplest of errors which are overlooked.

i think so, i checked it loads of times..

It has really knocked me for 6 this one... i even bought all the paint in anticipation of starting the respray next week!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Reading back on the thread Sam, the engine ran OK last Saturday

Yesterday you tried & failed to set the timing

Then you fiddled with the TPS

It was from then that the engine would not start

So logic tells me it's a TPS problem .......
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

When you tried to set the timing, you did short T and E1 didn't you? This stops the advance so you can time it up.

If the engine was running, I'd say the timing is unlikely to be miles out really.

Good luck with it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The engine will start without the TPS even connected so it's not that.

Sam sounds to me like you have timed the distributor wrong, are you sure the TDC you chose was #1 ready to fire and not #4? It just winding over with no firing sounds like it's 180* out.

Double check your dizzy mate.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

OK, so we're homing in on this

It's not the TPS, the fuel's OK so it's either lack of sparks or a timing problem

Check the old fashioned way that you have strong spark at each plug

And re-check the timing Sam

And stay cheerful, you're not far off the answer to this :thumleft:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Work has got in the way of progressing this today but to be honest I am pretty sure I had the dizzy right, and it was defo set to TDC...

My understanding is TDC is TDC, ie 1 and 4 will be at the top of their Stoke, the vital thing would then be the dizzy.

I definitely had it at TDC... And I am 99% sure I had the dizzy correct but I will do it again just to check.

Ok stupid question time... If I had removed the dizzy and placed it on the engine still connected to the coil and with the battery attached switched the ignition to on could I have blown something.. Tracing back my steps I did do this by accident when taking the key out of the ignition.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

boondougal wrote:
My understanding is TDC is TDC, ie 1 and 4 will be at the top of their Stoke, the vital thing would then be the dizzy.

No.

Whilst pistons 1 and 4 are both at TDC the cam positioning will be different. One cylinder will be at the top of it's compression stroke, the other will be at the top of it's exhaust stroke.

You'll know you've got it right if you can see the notch in the inlet cam through the oil filler hole with the piston at TDC. If you can't see the notch, spin the crank through 360 degrees (which turns the camshaft 180 degress) and the notch will be there.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Indeed, like i said a few posts ago Sam, TDC happens twice every cycle of the engine, the crank turns twice past TDC for every single revolution of the cam pulleys.

At TDC either cylinder 1 is ready to fire, or 4 is ready to fire, so if you timed the dizzy at TDC with the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder contact but it's actually #4 that is ready to fire then all it will do is crank over and won't fire.

I'm 99% sure you are 180* out.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

well if you are all true then that's another lesson learn't on my part...

Just goes to show how beginners luck struck on my first start up!

Tomorrow morning will tell..... :pray: :pray:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

I have literally woken cold sweats thinking about this... Obviously will be out there soon checking TDC etc but i!m not convinced I have it wrong tbh

When building the engine I marked up the top of the cam pulleys with a White dot, I have a clear cam cover so ever time I set TDC i ensure the White dots are at the top and the crank pulley is lined up to the pin... I though that was #1 firing position!!!!!!

That relation ship only happens once every 2 turns of the crank and I have always made sure it is set back to that when removing installing the dizzy.

I have not had the belt off since it ran before messing with TPS and the dizzy so tbh I don,t think I am 180 degrees out.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

boondougal wrote:
I have not had the belt off since it ran before messing with TPS and the dizzy so tbh I don,t think I am 180 degrees out.

It'll be 180 degrees out once every full revolution of the crank, so you wouldn't need to take the belt off for that to happen.

Fingers crossed this is it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Nothing.. not a sausage..

Based on my earlyer post i have always had the engine at #1 TDC, i re checked it and the notch in the cam is clearly visible through the oil filler cap, i have just pulled and refitted the Dizzy definitely ready to fire on number 1.

Just cranking.

Pulled #1 plug and its damp so petrol getting through.

Just come in to seek assistance to check for spark when cranking... just dragging the wife out to the garage a the moment.

I'll report back.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”