sans airfilter

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobbyh

sans airfilter

Post by bobbyh »

after recently seeing some filter-less bike carbs, (on a bike). how many people run their mk1's without filter?
i mean with the location, a nice dry dust free boot, i dont think there is much risk.
most cars, its hanging out front. and no filter is obviously ZERO restriction. why pay 40-120 quid for k&n induction stuff..

cheers
phipck

Re: sans airfilter

Post by phipck »

why not do an experiment, put a brand new washable filter on and leave it for about 6 weeks normal running, then give it a wash in a container and see how mucky the water gets.........no dirt would mean little issue.....grimy water means absolutely no chance!

i would still put a filter on just for the sake of something stupid getting sucked down there!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

It's all good until you drive down a dusty road #-o
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

how do those bike engines survive? the guy with the bikes said, the crap just gets incinerated? he's an engineer with a 12k classic Norton, not some muppet...
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

bobbyh wrote:how do those bike engines survive? the guy with the bikes said, the crap just gets incinerated? he's an engineer with a 12k classic Norton, not some muppet...

I don't think sand and small stones can get incinerated.

Your tyres will be constantly throwing these up from the road and your engine will be gulping in air at dozens of litres per second at high engine rpm.

If you have ever tailgated a car at high speed (eg on track) you can hear the grit and stones from the car in front hitting your car. It sounds bad... That's on a road that isn't particularly dirty either.

I guess on a mk1b the bigger stones/grit wouldn't make it round the long intake plumbing pipe but it would be very dodgy on a mk1a.

Best to fit a filter either way :thumleft:
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

even if the filter is just a pair of tights, id always run a filter of some description. good filters really arent that restrictive, i seriously doubt youll ever find more than 1% from not running one, if that. its not worth the risk. even F1 cars run air filters.

if youve got enough surface area then the restriction just isnt there like most people have set in their head. paper (and synthetic equivalents) is still the best medium for pure surface area and the smallest particle filtration

for anyone who doubts what can end up inside an engine without a filter, how does a bolt sound on a 4 mile race track, on a car WITH a filter but with a 5-10mm gap down the side where the airbox was damaged. if anything can find its way into the engine, you can bet it will if you give it the chance to. the bolt destroyed the engine btw, about £15k of damage.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Jim-SR wrote:If anything can find its way into the engine, you can bet it will if you give it the chance to. the bolt destroyed the engine btw, about £15k of damage.

:shock: Luckily your losses on a MK1 are limited to about £150. :lol:

I'd say it's just not worth it. If you're going for a big power, you don't start with a 120bhp 1.6

THese engines are fantastically revvy and reliable with a stock air filter on, I see no need to mess with a good design.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

If you are feeling a bit strapped for cash, I bought a Corrola GTI RamAir filter off of ebay for a cool £17 which had all the pipes and stainless steel fittings. I just used the filter though and bolted it straight onto my pipe in my boot. It fits perfectly and is a lot better for my mpg
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Of course the big difference that has not already been mentioned is that bike owners think nothing of a rebuild every 10-15k, after all it only takes a couple of leisurely hours to strip a bike down. MR2 motors are designed to do a couple of hundred k. Formula 1 motors would run without a filter if a) the induction force wasn't so high for a motor running 18k rpm/200 mph and b) if they had more than 7 engines per season.

Cheers,
Jon
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

thanks for the informed input.

I like the Corolla filter idea.

its more about keeping within the classic ins policy parameters, of no mods that increase performance...
they agreed to the ss exhaust...
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:If you are feeling a bit strapped for cash, I bought a Corrola GTI RamAir filter off of ebay for a cool £17 which had all the pipes and stainless steel fittings. I just used the filter though and bolted it straight onto my pipe in my boot. It fits perfectly and is a lot better for my mpg

If you are feeling strapped for cash use the standard filter, the inserts are cheap from Hellfrauds :oldtongue:
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

hell even the Apexi filters for the mk1 are only £20 from temple tuning
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Ramair do a foam panel filter that'll drop into the box on a Mk1b, good airflow, and you're not drawing in hot air from the engine bay, and it stays clean a good while.

Works for me. :thumleft:

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

WeirdNeville wrote:
Jim-SR wrote:If anything can find its way into the engine, you can bet it will if you give it the chance to. the bolt destroyed the engine btw, about £15k of damage.

:shock: Luckily your losses on a MK1 are limited to about £150. :lol:

I'd say it's just not worth it. If you're going for a big power, you don't start with a 120bhp 1.6

THese engines are fantastically revvy and reliable with a stock air filter on, I see no need to mess with a good design.

it was a 4A-GE engine as well, running in a Formula Atlantic car. blowing an engine on an MR2 is a major PITA. its not like you can just drop the slam panel and the radiator and slide the whole thing out the front like you can in front engined cars. its just not worth running without a filter for the zero/minimal gain. i doubt youd even be able to feel it, the noise and the knowledge that the filter isnt there will give a placebo effect and thats it. its the same with induction kits, usually they lose torque unless the stock airbox setup is very restrictive to begin with.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”