Supercharger light fog conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

viperrr

Supercharger light fog conversion

Post by viperrr »

Hi all,

I have some Supercharger lights from the USA, I've done the necessary wiring and bulb change to make one of the reversing lights act as a rear fog light... problem is that the light looks VERY pink, and not particularly bright! I think this might be down to the really quite thick white plastic lens (and possibly my eBay special 10LED red brake light - but this does shine quite bright red when not in the lens.).

Has anyone with Supercharger lights successfully managed an MOT passing rear fog light?

Cheers,
Nick
Neil_turbo

Re: Supercharger light fog conversion

Post by Neil_turbo »

I went with a bolt on one underneath the bumper, (though i put it on the N/S which it failed on - it has to be on O/S)

Could be an interesting one to convert a reversing lamp though - hadnt thought of that!

Make sure you have it on the O/S one though!
System-G

Post by System-G »

I have heard of the reverse lamp being used before, but to get it bright enough you just need a higher wattage lamp IIRC.

A quality light gel/filter (the type used in theatre & concert lighting) can also be used on the inside of the cover to get a better red colour, but you can only buy the gels from reputable sellers. The cheapo mobile disco & Maplin type places may sell the gels, but they are poor quality and will fade/melt easily.

This is a company I used to use professionally:
http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/prod ... C0C1B557F/
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

2 things:

1. Fog guard lights have a reflector in them to better directionalise the beam - it may be an idea to go to a scrappers, get one and cut it down to suit.

2. I've used sweety wrappers in the past to colour bulb outputs - like the strawberry ones in a Roses tin :whistle:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

When I did the conversion on my car to SC lights, I used the empty red reflecter on the O/S and used the UK standard o/s light loom which already has the fog light built in(this plugs straight in and requires minnor modification to fit) I then made a hole into the back of the relector area and used the silver backing from a uk fog light to fit in behind fog light, Its not been to the MOT man yet as I only done it a few months ago but cant see it being an issue as its brighter than the side lights.

Basically the fog light is in the same place as a uk car but it looks like a standard SC light from the outside :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
viperrr

Post by viperrr »

Thanks for the answers guys! :thumleft:

I might go ahead and try modding the inside of my light cluster like oukie mentions, as this way I get to keep my second reversing light too! Now to see if I still have those UK clusters....
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

i converted one of the reverse lamps on my old MR2 ages ago, its so easy, swap one connector over and thats it done. anyway, it passed 2 MOT's like that, it just had a red bulb in there. im not sure there is a requirement for brightness, so long as its red and works. if your MOT tester is that picky then go somewhere else!!
viperrr

Update

Post by viperrr »

Hi all, a quick update for you...

I went the way of the Oukie and hand crafted (bodged!) my supercharger light unit and the reflecty fog light bit from a UK unit together.

This works like a dream, and I passed my MOT today!
:D :D :D
Cheers for all your comments :thumleft: :thumleft:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Been meaning to do this for 'years' on my SC conversion ;) I always just fitted the ugly dangly fog light for MOT day... took it off when I came home but obviously would be good to have one fitted in AND save the 2nd reverse light which always looks better than one :)

Also I have a spare set of N/A rear lights so will try the method above, should be no problem!
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Ive got to say I did it that way just because I did't want the dangly light .

My MOT man thought it was very good :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
viperrr

Post by viperrr »

Hello,

I posted some pics up over on the mk1 club if anyone is interested...

www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2179
BMR2L

Post by BMR2L »

Nice one, going to have a go at this myself.

-Alan

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”