[Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegate seems to not fully close, is this a known problem, fix?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rsevo6

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegate seems to not fully close, is this a known problem, fix?

Post by rsevo6 »

I have a problem with my Rev3 Turbo's CT20.
It normally runs at about 1.05 bar (about 15psi) with my Mines ECU.
All of a sudden, last thursday it wouldn't boost over 0.55 bar, and building up boost slower than normal whyle making more hissing noise than usual (I have a Arc intake, so can hear it spool up).

After some checking, it turned out that:
-when applying boost to the actuator hose, the actuator did move the wastegate valve, so that was working
-even when taking off the compressor to actuator boost signal hose (in this way the boost is not restricted at all and should peak at over 1.6 bar), it still wouldn't boost more than 0.9 bar, so my guess was that even though the actuator was working, the wastegate valve wasn't fully closing for some reason.

I then with a boost/vac pump applied boost to the actuator a few times, letting it snap back a few times, and hey..... when making a trial run, all was well again, problem fixed......I thought :?

Next day (friday) I went away for a long weekend run (1100 Km) to Duderstadt meeting in Germany and the first 200km or so all was well.

However at some point I again couldn't boost more than 0.55 bar, so the wastegate was again not fully closing. I tried the trick with the actuator again but no success, so had to run almost 900km with low boost and probably the wastegate never fully closing.

The car is running perfectly, just not boosting over 0.55 bar
Am I correct in my assumption that the wastegate is not fully closing?
Will I have done damage to it running 900Km this way, will it have burnt as If I am correct that it doesn't close to the turbo body it will probably have been extremely hot, not cooling down to the turbo body when closing as it should?

Is this a known problem, have other Turbo owners had this happen too?

Is there any way to possibly fix this without taking the turbo off, can it be fixed at all if the wastegate is defective and/or burnt?

Any advice much appreciated.
Last edited by rsevo6 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegate seems to not fully close, is this a known problem, fix?

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I wonder if its catching on the downpipe? What downpipe do you have fitted?
rsevo6

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegate seems to not fully close, is this a known problem, fix?

Post by rsevo6 »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:I wonder if its catching on the downpipe? What downpipe do you have fitted?

Still OE catalytic converter as I need it for yearly MOT and won't pass with different DP
Engine/turbo setup is still OE, only made mods to airfilter/catback exhaust/intercooler piping/ECU and have been running it like this for quite some time.

Only thing is that I was considering installing a manual boostcontroller (as boost will build up a little quicker to it's max with one) and for this reason I tested the wastegate actuator with my boost/vac pump (up to 1 bar max) to see if it was functioning OK.

One day later, the wastegate problem was there!!
However, the wastegate actuator when tested for a 2nd time when the problem ocurred, still moved OK, so I suspect the wastegate valve inside the turbo housing.

Possibly some kind of carbon or rust buildup (some kind of ridge or so) in the wastegate housing that I disturbed when testing the actuator the first time possibly moving it a bit more than it usually did and some kind of buildup got loose and stuck in the wastegate valve??
rsevo6

Post by rsevo6 »

UP...

Nobody ever had this happen, no advices? #-o
Am I the first to experience this boost problem?? :?
MRGEN3TURBO

Post by MRGEN3TURBO »

try removing the dump pipe, crappy job but easier than the whole turbo. Then you will be able to see if it is not fully closed or if there is an obstruction.
MR2 sticks like glue
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

are you sure its not a boost leak from the intercooler pipe work?

Return to “Mechanical”