rough idle and poping.........PLEASE HELP?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andy1979

rough idle and poping.........PLEASE HELP?

Post by andy1979 »

can anyone help me out it would realy help as im stumped and since some genious decided that the mr2 didnt need a manual im a bit stuck. my 1992 rev2 n/a uk mr2 was running great untill i decided to do a service (eg: plugs/oil/oil fillter/air fillter). i changed the plugs they where fine the way they should be did the oil and oil filter. then i started to do the air fillter and i noticed that the two clips on the end of the air filter box witch holds the top and bottom air box together was not cliped on only two was instead of the four and the old filter rubber seal that goes around the air filter was broke. anyway put new air fillter in cliped air box on properly and started the engine and to my surprise it now runs like a bag of s**t. it idles rough the engine shakes if you rev it slowly it will rev ok if you give it a quick rev it will make one hell of a bang and i can smell a lot of petrol. i am thinking that it might need more air as when it bangs you can feel the air box pop as i have put my hand on top of the box and give it a quick rev and you can feel the pop. can anyone help me on this one as i dont want to fidle to much just incase i make things worse if it is the fuel/air mixture does anyone know how to adjust it. thank you all.
royashmr2

Re: rough idle and poping.........PLEASE HELP?

Post by royashmr2 »

Broken HT lead?

disturbed when you changed the plugs.

Pop the leads off one by one to see which one is broken.

Doubt its the air filter unless there is a vacuum pipe that goes on the air box on an NA?
10.1 @137.36
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Sounds like the electrics - HT lead, cap or plug.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Sounds obvious but have you tried putting your old parts back to see if it corrects it? eg. plugs, filter not the oil filter of course! LOL

You have fitted an incompatible part.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”