Drag Racing Tips

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Drag Racing Tips

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Might go drag racing some time and was just wanting some tips for setting off and anythign else that might be handy :)

Also is it safe to go drag racing with a Carbon fibre bonnet without bonnet pins fitted??

Thanks
Sol

Re: Drag Racing Tips

Post by Sol »

I will tell you what I got told to day at santa pod (u.s.c) I have never draged any car, I have seen it done but never done it my self. It is easy to be told what to do and how to do it. But doing it is a differnt mater. I got my tips form a couple of firends who do hks pro drag this year. but use 4wd skylines and range from 600bhp the other 1000bhp :thumleft: :thumleft:

The main tips is to warm your rubber well.A drag race is lose or won with in 1/2 seconds so grip is key.

To do a nice burn out to warm your rubber. (this is were it get tricky) drive your car as you would normal but place your right foot on the brake and angle it so it can press the gas. get to the area, lift the cluch and slight touch the brake while applying the gas once the car starts to move use your heel to press completly down on the brake and use your toes to push the gas. This is tricky as it is hard to place your feet on both pedles at once. then rev it and hold it nicely.Most people only do it for 5/10 seconds..this will heat the rubber but no make it sticky ](*,) Some peoole go upto 1min to 2min as this is a key time.....but depends if you have deep pockets and like to spend all your cash on rubber :thumleft: :thumleft:

The second tip I got was the launch it self. Dont care about the lights as they will not hinder your time..Make sure you do it right rather than rush and then not happy with the result. On the line rev the engine to what rev you want to launch from. I was told about 3.5 k is a good range to start from as it shouldnt destroyer your car and it give you time to change to second so you done red line it, causing damage to your car.keep the revs going up and down from 3.5k to 4k. Allowing your engine to get ready

Once in motion your will spin!! but dont panic just feather the gas and dont take it off (this may cause you to skid as you loose traction ) Dont worrie about the other car next to you either just watch your rev count and make every change of gear spot on. I changed on about 6.8/7k and had no trouble. I did miss a gear on my second run so it did hinder my time but as they say practice makes perfect :thumleft: :thumleft:

Here are my runs from today

MY first ever run... 15.9sec

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x157 ... 1strun.flv

Second run with advice and a bit more balls and alot less fear :pale: 14.9sec
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x157 ... 2ndrun.flv

Thrid and final Run 14.2
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x157 ... V01353.flv
Was well happy with this run as I know that the orginal owner duactichck only got 13.9 and is a speed demon

It is a great feeling and good laugh..It is going to put a smile on any one face...

Was happy with my times had few few problems but it does come down to experance...

Hope it help, As i said it was the advice given to me so...other's may have differnt ways of doing things but this is how I done it :thumleft: :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

And one of the most important tips for dragging MR2s.....slip clutch. It causes more wear than just releasing the clutch completely, but you get ALL of the power down with no wheel spin (if it's dry) and the times are far better
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I don't care what anyone says, the Red Light rallies are still the best place to practice launching. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

i also went up the strip at USC this weekend.

I went once before last year, but i had only owned my car for 2 days previous so wasnt used to it at all.

First run i got 14.4
Seconf 14.8 cos i messed up the start and didnt get back onto full boost until 2nd gear
Third run 14.3
Fourth Run 14.2

i was happy with that as last year i got a 14.7 as best lool

Burnouts are very important though, and although i tried to do a standing one, i found it v hard in the mr2 and was nervous of messing it up or stalling my car in front of the several thousand people watching.

Just get out there and drive mate, you wont regret it, such a feeling!

Santa Pod is a good place to go for a RWYB day, you pay like £25 for unlimited runs all day :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Anti Lag and launch control 8)

speak to OllyDent
Chris

Post by Chris »

My advise is don't get addicted....Unless you don't mind re mortgageing your house...twice :lol: :oops:
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

Chris wrote:My advise is don't get addicted....Unless you don't mind re mortgageing your house...twice :lol: :oops:

I'll second that :whistle:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cantfindausername

One part of the burn out process that might (but probaly wont apply to road cars) is to run through the starting point. This lays the rubber down and provides further grip for the start.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i thought i heard that burnouts on road tyres is pointless???

on drags and slicks yes, but street tyres theres no point, (unless you want to look cool)
:-k :-k
cantfindausername

jimGTS wrote:unless you want to look cool

Who doesn't want to look cool!? 8)

:lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

cantfindausername wrote:
jimGTS wrote:unless you want to look cool

Who doesn't want to look cool!? 8)

:lol:

tis true :eye:

but on road tyres surely your just wearing them to crazy levels with very little gain??

road/slicks sure, like the mT, r888 etc etc...
cantfindausername

I agree, there is probaly a limit that you can burn out or heat a road tyre to before you're really just costing yourself money.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Doing a burnout on road tires is just for show.

Plus, you'll just be heatsoaking your intercooler in time for your run.... so all in all pointless and you need to resist the urge! IMO.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

thanks all, dont want to do a burn out anyway as I bet I wont get it right and end up looking like a complete dick lol :lol: :lol:

Plus 18" tyres dont come cheap :shock:

Im guessing most people put the stock wheels back on for drag racing or similar size to stock?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”