Timing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ruishy1

Timing

Post by Ruishy1 »

Just finished getting my timing belt done ( hope i never have to do it again :pray: ) the car starts fine, it wont rev due to a big air leak from the throttle body, so il get a new gasket tomorrow.

My only hang up is the exhaust pulley, was half a tooth out when timing it up, i tried for over 2 hours and couldnt ge it perfect, will this make a noticeable difference ?
bobhatton

Re: Timing

Post by bobhatton »

Ruishy1 wrote:Just finished getting my timing belt done ( hope i never have to do it again :pray: ) the car starts fine, it wont rev due to a big air leak from the throttle body, so il get a new gasket tomorrow.

My only hang up is the exhaust pulley, was half a tooth out when timing it up, i tried for over 2 hours and couldnt ge it perfect, will this make a noticeable difference ?

Was it ok before changing the belt?
I cannot see how only one pulley is out, you have not changed the gap between them so they should both line up.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

the timing belt had snapped when i bought the car, thats how i got it for 300 quid :mrgreen:

Its making the car very sluggish, so im gonna have to do it again ](*,)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Being only a very small amount out should not make it run too bad at all.
When it snapped it may have bent a number of valves. You need to do a comp test.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

bobhatton wrote:Being only a very small amount out should not make it run too bad at all.

I would disagree with that. One tooth equals however many degrees, which means the engine will not run as it should.

bobhatton wrote:When it snapped it may have bent a number of valves. You need to do a comp test.

Bearing in mind that these engines are non-interference, I highly doubt that valves have sustained any damage.
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

I assume you took off the tensioner and put everything to TDC?

Have you got a timing gun?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Half a tooth is not far out at all, and although it is not right the engine should run ok.

I have 14 valves here that show they can be bent when a cam belt snapped.
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

I did a cold test when i first got the car, i got 105, 110, 120, 115, i thought that was acceptable for a cold test, i dont have a timing gun, and i replaced the tensioner, MR T charged my 61 quid for that single priviledge ](*,)

I think the crank pulley might be out, the mark on it looks like it was made last time the belt was done, and may be out, but dont have a DTI to get the crank perfect :-k

I did this with only a handful of spanners and sockets since all my tools were stolen by pikeys :evil: i thought i had done not bad.

Im gonna take it to a garage and get them to set the timing, as the car doesnt pull as well as it should.

BUT i checked the plugs ( new) and they were covered in white deposits from only 10 mins running, was wondering why the car would be runing so lean #-o
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

How did you do the comp check with no cam belt? The readings are very low, should be up around 160 to 180 or so.
If you check the bottom pulley the key way should point up and the pulley mark should then be at 0 on the timing marker on the belt cover.

Bob
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

I timed in each cam by hand to close off each cylinder in turn, then turned over the engine, and the readings are low becuase it was a cold check :oldtongue:
the pulley looks like its been changed at some pont, when i used the marks it tells me in the PDF i downloaded, the timing was about 100 degrees out, then i noticed a small, rough file mark, timed it to that and the engine fired up, but is still a little rough.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

There is something wrong there. You have to look at the crank key way, that should point up and give you TDC, then check what marks line up on the pulley. Once that is right then time the cams

Bob
Ruishy1

Post by Ruishy1 »

Might give that a go if the weather lightens up a bit, if not il jus pay to get i done, want to drive it asap, I miss boost :twisted:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”