a few niggles with the new car

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

a few niggles with the new car

Post by jasongtr »

i only picked it up last night (rev3 NA)

the 1st thing i notice is the drivers window is clunking when going up and if this makes any difference it goes up slightly too far - is this a common thing or do i need a new mechanism?

and the drivers side lock wont work the cenral locking/arm the std alarm, it will arm and lock from the passenger side, but if you umlock the drivers door it will open it but set the alarm off too as it hasnt triggered the disarm/central locking, again is this a common fault or anyone have ideas

thanks from a new boy
Steve-O 2007

Re: a few niggles with the new car

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Well I think your first problem sounds like the window has came off the runner or the window mounts have came loose. I had this problem and my runner had vibrated loose off the window. take the door card off and have a look for loose bolts / mounts and check the bottom of the door for anything thats fallen off. :thumleft:

dont know about the alarm but while the doors in bits have a look around to see if you can see anything :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cheers, the cars at a mates house at the moment he's bring it over on an a frame later (no mot-tax)

ill have a play tomorrow

cheers again
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Standard Mr T alarm is just under the driveside rear speaker, found it today :thumleft:

Plenty of water gets into the doors, so i'd just do a check on the wires with a multimeter. Have a search for the electrics pdf in google.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

this is going to be an interesting car i can tell already, just had a quick look at it and have the following faults

fuel gauge does not appear to work
electric mirrors do not do anything (not sure if they are supposed to be heatred - i doubt it)
drivers window issue as above
drivers side central locking
gear stick has a very lazy/no return spring (assuming its supposed to have one)
a few bodywork issues (but thats my fault for buying a car unseen off ebay and collecting it at night)

however it does have 64k miles and is the black t-bar i wanted, i plan to change the front bumper, aftermarket suspension and big brakes, add some side skirts no idea what ones any suggestions> nothing to lary i like subtle.

hope mr2 ownership will improve and stay that way
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

With the fuel gauge thing, did you put petrol into an empty tank and see no immediate response on the gauge?

Same with ours, it just takes a while to register for some reason, I don't know if it's the same on other 2's?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

not put any in yet, its not mot'd or taxed so towed it home on an a frame, will get a couple of gallons later and see, but the low level light isnt on either so i think somethings up - never mind just add it to the list
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

electric mirros, door unlock not working...

Point you in the direction of the control panel in the drivers door.

Right...

In the drivers footwell, you will have a white block that runs to the panel in the door.

Im not sure which wires are which. I bet oyu find our fault either in that panel, or in the wires between it and the block in the footwell. Took me a good few hours to replace some lengths and solder new bits in.

Unwrap the black tape covering the wires in the door, you may find they are full of water.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

sorted the window clunking, it had come off the runner and the runner wasnt bolted tight at the top, the mirrors are an easy one too, took of the door card and switch panel and its not fecking connected - but the connector isnt even there, looks like it may be broken on the switch, the door wiring is a spagetti mess which over the years has been bodged by the following

stevie wonder
david blunkett
ray charles
my nan
and any other blind or incompetant person who cared to have a go

rather than p1ss around ill buy another drivers door loom and go from there,

i love older cars and there niggles - now let me think why do i want to get rid of an 05 330i BMW???????????....................
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

:clap:

May be easier :lol:

Just make sure you get a like for like loom :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

will do, ill make sure its an import rev 3 type

cheers
fearless

Post by fearless »

thing with having a 2 is keeping it going, you dont have this much fun with a bmw do you,
i owned a mint 323i all singing all dancing some years ago electric everything, i had the car 2 weeks and got shot of it i found it so boring it was unreal also had my cousins m5 while he was away once , i made a few hundred quid on it mind and was the most easy car to sell ive ever had, i had 16 messages on my ansawer phone first to see bought it,
i always prefere old cars my family think im crazy but i like something different not what everyone else is driving and modern cars all look the same, fords make me laugh when you buy one of their cars thay should ask would you like small, medium, large, extra large, or double xl because thay just all look the same from the front. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

sure is boring, i regret not buying the leon cupra r i test drove at the same time, could of had it brand new for the same cost as the 2 year old beemer
fearless

Post by fearless »

must admit i do like those leon's i really like the nissan 350z such a nice shape car im loving the 370 thay just had on top gear aswell. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

350z sounds awesome, i hope my mr2 with a v6 can sound as good
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

As above, door looms do get wet and the driver's door loom has got loads of important stuff running through it. Looms are not quite unique to rev but rev1/2 are very different to rev3+. The looms also differ depending whether you've got normal mirrors or retracting ones. There's a step by step guide to repairing the door looms on stephenmason.com somewhere. I might even still have a spare door loom knocking around somewhere.

The fuel level sender and low fuel warning light are 2 seperate senders. They connect underneath the ashtray, beneath a round plastic cover. Remove the plastic cover and you'll find a circular metal cover which is the top of the sender, held in with 6 screws IIRC. Undo those and give it a little tug (has a rubber seal) and it should pop off and then you can get high from the fumes :whistle: Obviously do this with the doors open and don't smoke while you're at it! I'd also recommend doing it with an empty fuel tank. You can disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter, stick it in a 10l jerry can and then bridge the fuel pump relay to empty the tank. You'll have to rotate the sender unit to get it out as the float is on quite a long mobile arm, while the sender for the low fuel light is in a fixed position.

If you can't find a suitable loom from anywhere let me know as I can repair your messy one for you :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cheers for the offer of repairing the loom but i think i have a plug missing as nothing in the door connected or otherwise will plug into the mirror switch, there is a round 3 pin plug that looks like its doing nothing....

do you mean the ash tray in the centre console in front of the gear lever, i would never of thought the tank was under there, i think i need a manual or maybe theres another ashtray i havent found yet, ????
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jasongtr wrote:cheers for the offer of repairing the loom but i think i have a plug missing as nothing in the door connected or otherwise will plug into the mirror switch, there is a round 3 pin plug that looks like its doing nothing....

Whereabouts is that plug? Is it clipped to the rear window slider, near the back of the door? There should be 2 there, both central locking related. Pictures would be good :thumleft: As I said above I do have a spare loom (I think) but it's for an older rev so I could nick the plug off that if you have one missing.

jasongtr wrote:do you mean the ash tray in the centre console in front of the gear lever, i would never of thought the tank was under there, i think i need a manual or maybe theres another ashtray i havent found yet, ????

Yeah that one. The fuel tank runs the length of the centre tunnel so it's right under your arm while you're driving. If you remove the dash panel that goes around the stereo, cigarette lighter etc and pull the ash tray holder out the access panel you want will be right in front of you.

There are plenty of copies of an old (rev2) american workshop manual knocking around on the internet, try this link: Google Search. I'd rather not link to a particular one as they go up and down quite a lot.

Also check out http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ for an online parts catalogue, which can be useful for showing you how things all fit together.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ah i see (about the tank) not knowing how much fuel is actually in it ill add a few gallons 1st before i start ripping it apart too much, the plug is in the mess could not say where it was supposed to be as most of the loom is hanging loose,

dont suppose you happen to know if i get retractable mirrors (not on there now) and the relevant switch is it just a case of plugging the retractblke style door looms in and away we go?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Get a picture of the inside of your door, that will be easiest! If it helps the loom is supposed to split off around the metal bracket that the door cup clips into, with 2 or 3 circular/triangluar plugs heading backwards towards the lock at the rear of the door, a thin bit of loom running backwards to the courtesy light on the door, and then a thicker bit of loom running forwards to the door control panel. The same section of loom that runs to the bottom plug on the door control panel should run upwards to the mirror control bit as well.

I don't know how relevant it is to the JDM MR2s but there's a knowledgebase article for retro fitting retracting mirrors to a UK car here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=140

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”