Pops and Bangs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Pops and Bangs

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I have noticed with the hot weather my car pops and bangs alot more. Eg if I accelerate hard, press the clutch in and then blip / flick the throttle a little I get some very loud bangs (Sounds like a gun going off or a firework) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

is this normal?
StevenstonWullie

Re: Pops and Bangs

Post by StevenstonWullie »

my rev3 tubby does it all the time , pretty normal i think :)
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Mine does this too (did) that was before it decided to transform into a large red kettle.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It's because the exhaust is getting hotter due to the higher ambient temperatures.

Hot exhaust + over fueling on over run = burn inside the exaust/pops and bangs.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im guessing their might be some flame's as well?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

most car ECU's shut the injectors off on a closed throttle above 1500rpm so you get the pop and bangs when you re apply the throttle after the gear change or blip the throttle with the clutch down
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

mine does exactly the same and i love it!!!

flames and the lot :mrgreen:

if you drive it enough you can get it to pop on demand, ideal for scaring people!!
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Yeah all good

The pops/bangs I found you easily get after a fairly long run on the motorway/dual carriageway, constant 70mph the exhaust gets nice and hot, then when you pull off and change gears you can almost predict the bang/pop.

Night time just look in the rear view mirror, sometimes you can see an orange glow under the spoiler :D
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I need to do some night time driving now then :lol: :lol:
fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

Yes mine pops and bangs on the overrun. MR2 Turbo engines drip some unburnt fuel in to the cylinders when you shut off the gas to keep the fuelling primed to prevent lag (not turbo) when you go back on the gas. The result is that the when the turbo gets warm this unburnt fuel ignites on the turbo veins and causes the pops. Mine never pops when cold.

Be warned though if its doing it under acceleration it is not good [-X
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

fuchsiasteve wrote:Yes mine pops and bangs on the overrun. MR2 Turbo engines drip some unburnt fuel in to the cylinders when you shut off the gas to keep the fuelling primed to prevent lag (not turbo) when you go back on the gas. The result is that the when the turbo gets warm this unburnt fuel ignites on the turbo veins and causes the pops. Mine never pops when cold.

All gasoline engines put some fuel into the cylinders on a closed throttle to help keep the cylinders cool, the ecu isnt doing it to reduce any kind of lag afaik.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

TheRoadWarrior wrote:
fuchsiasteve wrote:Yes mine pops and bangs on the overrun. MR2 Turbo engines drip some unburnt fuel in to the cylinders when you shut off the gas to keep the fuelling primed to prevent lag (not turbo) when you go back on the gas. The result is that the when the turbo gets warm this unburnt fuel ignites on the turbo veins and causes the pops. Mine never pops when cold.

All gasoline engines put some fuel into the cylinders on a closed throttle to help keep the cylinders cool, the ecu isnt doing it to reduce any kind of lag afaik.

actually for fuel economy most modern engines on a closed throttle above 1500rpm do not inject any fuel.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”