HELP! I think i may be killing my car! about cheap induction kit.

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingmodest

HELP! I think i may be killing my car! about cheap induction kit.

Post by kingmodest »

right i bought a induction kit, this one found here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MRS-1- ... 1|294%3A50
well actully i got it free as i bought the che manifold and it was late so the guy threw it in for a couple more quid! got both parts fitted to my 2000 w reg mr-s but we didnt know where the blue hose went! someoneone told me it shuld be attached to the inlet throttle body (whats that) as the original pipe had a blank on the left. so we blanked the hose off! has anyone had any experience with one of these? thanks..
DannyN

Re: HELP! I think i may be killing my car! about cheap induction kit.

Post by DannyN »

It just needs blanking off, they have a pipe similar on the AEM induction kit (which I and some others have) and we've blanked them off.

If I remember correctly its something to do with our american cousins
kingmodest

Post by kingmodest »

thank god for that! lol someone told me it needs connecting to the inlet throttle body! i craped it! i also got told i shouldnt of bothered with a cheap on like that as it will all end in tears! should i not of bothered with that spercific one? thanks again for putting my mind at rest!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

If it was me, I'd be taking that cheap piece of crap off and hurling it in the nearest bin. The filtration rates will be dubious at best, and that alone should give enough cause to not use it. If you want a decent induction kit, go for either the AEM or the A'Pexi.

There's a reason no-one buys the really cheap stuff on eBay, especially when it's directly connected to the most expensive part of your car ;)
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Ekona makes a very valid point, you dont want skimp on the bit that stops crap getting in your engine :shock:
Amebb

Post by Amebb »

from my experience, cheap and nasty induction kits are a total waste of time and cost you more in th elong run - plus there is a high risk of messing up your engine.....
frogger

Post by frogger »

It is not likely that an induction kit will affect performance much at all on the 1ZZ, so no advantages there. But they do sound nice!

You can use a universal k&n filter with your existing bit of piping to get a very cheap but safe upgrade that'll sound the part with top notch filtration to boot. IIRC you'll be looking at around £50ish.

The concerns here are well founded, as there is a very slight risk associated with no 'real' gain, other than sound. But the risks are very slight and easily solved :)

I've seen worse 'top of the range' induction kits with parts that can come loose INSIDE the filter and enter the engine directly lol =;

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”