[Mk2] [Generic] Loctite Gasket Seal Black 598 95g MK2 SUMP SEAL

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobothemonkey

[Mk2] [Generic] Loctite Gasket Seal Black 598 95g MK2 SUMP SEAL

Post by bobothemonkey »

I am curious if Loctite Gasket Seal Black 598 95g from halfords Would be any good to seal a leaky sump?
I have read the various topics about sump sealant, However i can not find the RTV Silicon sealant in which people are recomending,found this so was wondering if it would do the same job?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165691
Mr2_NA

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Loctite Gasket Seal Black 598 95g MK2 SUMP SEAL

Post by Mr2_NA »

.. Well im gonna guess.

"Loctite Gasket Seal Black 598 95g forms a flexible silicon seal and is suitable for use on valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans.

Features:

Fast curing formula
Sensor-safe
Low odor
Non-corrosive
Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets
Retains high flexibility
Oil resistance properties
Temperature range -75°F to 625°F intermittent
Resists auto and shop fluids and vibration"

It does not mean chip oil pans :thumleft: I have no reason to doubt halfords product descriptions, only there prices.

and a quick edit...

RTV sealant on ebay. Notice, halfrauds is 95g and this is 75g and the halfrauds one is tiny! This one is whoppin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOW-CORNING-RTV-S ... dZViewItem
bobothemonkey

Post by bobothemonkey »

Yeah I read that, maybe didn't word the post so well, rather what I was asking was if it would do the job as in will it last or is it cheap crap,basicly,ebay looks much better value from the link
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Well in the other thread, the RTV is mentioned and tested. Id stick to what they tell you on here :thumleft: Never go wrong then :)

Im sure if you google shopping searched the RTV sealant you'd find different types, but that stuff looks like its made for non-extreme temp gaskets.

I used some similar stuff for mine, was only £7 from the garage and did the trick while I was changing the oil :thumleft:
bobothemonkey

Post by bobothemonkey »

So you used the rtv stuff?ok think ill order that as I don't want to strip car down to do it to find it lasts a day or something lol better to do the job right thanks for the advice :)
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Nah, not the RTV. It was similar to that, I think you may need to get the more hardcore stuff though. Think its RTV red? I can't remember where I read about it, mine was oil resisstant which is a bonus down there :lol: withstood higher temps... etc

Give it a day or two or PM that guy who mentioned the RTV and ask him which one he used.

It was a cheapo alternative to the expensive stuff, never seen the RTV before, only on ebay. Not much gets sold over here unfortunatly :(
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

We used the halfords one on our race car and it's working fine, no leaks :thumleft:
mark239

Post by mark239 »

I made a sump gasket for my rev 3 out of 1/8 inch cork. and a light film of instant gasket on each side just to help seal.

Not a drop from it.

Return to “Mechanical”