[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch pedal problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

madr2turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch pedal problem

Post by madr2turbo »

Hi,
After more than a year's work i finally finished my mr2 prodject and got it mot`ed a few days ago.

Now i just want to finaly take it for a spin, BUT .... I seem to have 1 more fault to diagnose and fix. :(

After 3 days of bleeding and rebleeding the fault remains.](*,)

With the engine off.. I can select all gears, but the pedal will only return to around half way, i have to use my foot to pull the pedal all the way back.

With the engine running ... When i put my foot on the clutch pedal it drops to about half way, then when i fully depress the pedal it will let me select reverse with alot of grinding from the gears.
1st gear can be selected with a serious amount of force used then its a bit hit a miss whether i can shift to 2nd or 3rd, again alot of force is needed.
Then after about 40 mph i can get it in to 4th, i have never got in to 5th gear.

After every shift i have to with my foot, pull the clutch pedal back to were it should be or it will ride the clutch like crazy.

So i am not to sure whether its a master or slave cylinder problem or a fault with the clutch.

I have had a good look at the master and slave cylinder, and the hydraulic lines and there are no leaks..

Any help would be really appreciated..
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch pedal problem

Post by Quigonjay »

have you checked for leaks? it is possible for both to go but in my limited experience it is more likely to be the slave cylinder seals
it can be quite difficult to bleed the clutch sometimes if you dont have an auto bleeder so i wouldnt rule out that still being the problem
madr2turbo

Post by madr2turbo »

Thanks for your reply Jay..

If i have a go at removing both the master and slave cylinders today is there any way of testing them to see which has failed :-k ...
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

When bleeding the clutch did you move the clutch cylinder in and out?

Sometimes people forget and it leaves the cylinder full of air..
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

After more than a year's work i finally finished my mr2 prodject

1st gear can be selected with a serious amount of force used then its a bit hit a miss whether i can shift to 2nd or 3rd, again alot of force is needed.

why would you do that? Potentially writing off all your hard work?

How upset would you be if the box dumped it's load on the floor!?!

It's clearly not right, don't force it, it's how you break things.

Slap on the back of your hand! Naughty!

Return to “Mechanical”