selling on ebay.... :(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyc1988

selling on ebay.... :(

Post by andyc1988 »

Hi
I have just sold my mr2 turbo on ebay for £978, I have stated the car was for spares or repair and that it failed the last mot due to the front calipers needing refurbishment or replacement and that since then it has been just stood parked up. The winning bidder turns out to be polish with a very poor standard of english and seems to not fully understand that driving without an M.O.T is illegal and wants to just drive the car back the 1 hour 30 min journey home. he has also already began to haggle on the price which has pi$$ed me off slightly as you dont buy to haggle down later =; . There are other things that have slightly made me wonder if I want to go through with this sale.
what would you guys do In this case??
If something where to happen like the calipers where siezed from being stood or if he said it wasnt what he expected would he have the right to refuse payment?
"If in doubt, go Flat out"
Andytoyota

Re: selling on ebay.... :(

Post by Andytoyota »

Not if you've described it accuratly and to the best of your knowledge then there shouldn't be a problem, you cant check the whole car inside and out when selling for every single defect, just not possible. He's agreed to buy the car at that price so shouldn't be haggling the price, if he's not happy then he should have looked at the car before buying, obviously he's not that serious about it.
I wouldn't be happy letting someone drive off knowing that the car is both illegal to drive and/or uninsured, however it is again the buyer's problem once the handover is done but personally I would want them to be a bit more responsible especially taking into account the type of car and the risk to others. Plus if the brakes are dodgy and its been sat for a while then who knows what other stuff might make it unworthy for the road. If its me i'd be telling him to jog on :-k
Last edited by Andytoyota on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Stick to your guns.

If you have described in your description its for spairs or repair and has no MOT then thats obviously thats what he has paid for. Do not give him the car until you have every penny. MAke sure someone is with you when he does turn up as a witness or at least backup :thumleft:

I would never buy anything and then haggle on the price [-X Thats what markets are for.

Make sure you get your deposit, if need be notify the police that the guy wants to drive it away as this is illegal and just dangerous to himself and anyone else. I'd have put on the ad to be trailored awaydue to no MOT.

I hate people who drive unsafe cars + no insurence ](*,) Foreign or English. Makes my blood boil.

That said, I have no MOT on mine :whistle: Don't need one where I live though \:D/ I do have tax + insurence though.
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

The car failed on the front calipers I have the fail sheet too prove that, I realise now I should have put needs trailoring but I did say no M.O.T and the calipers need looking at so I thought people would realise it couldnt just be driven 1 and a half hours away #-o my mistake.

not only that you should have seen some of the emails asking about the car asif some people hadnt even botherd read the advert! crazy.

thanks for the input :thumleft:
"If in doubt, go Flat out"

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”