How bad is this rusting?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gforceuk

How bad is this rusting?

Post by gforceuk »

Well im looking to get hold of new front wings... and then look at getting the rear sections or if anyone else can give me some tips to get it done.

Apparently the floor panels need welding and fixing and as you can see from the pics the drivers side pillar is in a bit of a state... and also the windscreen is a fail due to a rust bubble cracking the screen... so the roof needs seeing to before getting a replacement on the insurance.

windscreen

drivers side sill

pillar

rear

FossMan

Re: How bad is this rusting?

Post by FossMan »

It's bad. Most of the places you have shown pictures of are cosmetic type areas. Before you set about replacing arches, windscreen surrounds and the like have a proper look at inner/outer sills, anti-roll bar mounting areas and the floor pan in general.

Sometimes it's worth cutting your losses (voice of experience)
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

No losses to cut to be honest, the car was a given to me..

so anything that gets it back to its original i fine.. no rush to be honest.
Paff

Post by Paff »

I wouldn't say its beyond repair, you'll just have to treat it as a fairly intensive welding project.

Tis better than my last one I was trying to save (only stopped cos I got offered a better shell).
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

gforceuk wrote:No losses to cut to be honest, the car was a given to me..

so anything that gets it back to its original i fine.. no rush to be honest.

I reckon you could pick up a better condition shell for less than it will cost to fix that one is all I'm saying. But if you're planning a resto yourself then fair play :)
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

cheers

i wont be doing the work.. I know more about quantom physics than I do about mechanics or welding...
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Whatever you do, get it up on a ramp and check the floor pan and the cills with the side skirts off. My first MK1 looked very similar to yours, better in some respects, but the once I took the side skirts off to check I found the cills were shot from front to back on both sides in a big way, you’ll probably find the same on yours. I took it to some one to have a look at welding it, and after closer inspection underneath, I was looking at a min £1500 welding bill, poss £2000+! The floor pan was also knackered in several places. In the end it went to the scrap yard in the sky :(
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

I know the floor pan needs welding and quoted 300 to get it fixed...
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

My old blue mk1 has started rusting badly and it's bad on the driver's side at the top of the sill.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be beyond economic repair once I pop off the sideskirts... :pale:

It's a real shame because it has a great engine and gearbox and drove really great. Better than my (still shiny and rust free) red one tbh.
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

I font think anything is beyond economical repair if u want it for yourself.... If it's just to sell then yes... But not to enjoy and own it
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

gforceuk wrote:I font think anything is beyond economical repair if u want it for yourself.... If it's just to sell then yes... But not to enjoy and own it

Stop it :lol:

I've spend ages trying to convince myself to let the car go... :lol:
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

All of those areas are common places for them to rust, they can all be made good again with a little effort & some money, if doing it yourself you will learn absolutely loads about the car & get much more fun from it once its finished, no car should go to the scrapyard without at least trying to save it first, welding is a lot more easier to do than you think, its all about practise, the more you do, the better you get, welders can be had very cheaply on ebay now, just set yourself time limits & concentrate on one area at a time, when your happy with that area, then move onto the next, Rome wasnt built in a day & no one is gonna flame you for some welding which isnt quite 100%, but i guaruntee that when it passes the MOT & your cruising down that country lane in a car that you saved from the scrappy there's no feeling in the world like it :thumleft: , take it from someone who knows & has reaped the benefits :clap: :thumleft: , good luck, Jinxy
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Well said Jinxy :clap:

Too many good salvageable cars are being stripped and scrapped at the moment.
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

Cheers for the encourgement .. was thinking I should just not bother
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

go for it, what have you got to lose, except for a little money & a little time, the car has got to be worth that at least :thumleft:
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

well I had it shipped to me for 80 quid...

It needs quite a bit of work.... so anyone in the notts area any good with knowing what needs doing on these then feel free to give me a shout.

I've booked it into a garage for a quick once over and to fix a coolant pipe.

Now looking for as many replacement bits as i can get and just change things as and when i can.
chiron

Post by chiron »

Well once you get the plastic trim stripped off you'll probably find about 80% more rust. The Mk1 skirts and front spoilers hide a massive amount of potential rust traps.

To give you an idea my Mk1 was a 98k 2 owner FSH car and just had 2 small bubbles of rust on the arches and 2 small holes in the sills.
When I stripped it I discovered the sills were gone in about 3 other places, the rear arches were shot including the lower rear section. Both front wings had 2" missing from the lower arch (hidden by the trim), the A post had holes in it and both the front and rear bumper irons were disolved.

I took 8 months of weekend welding and fabrication to sort it all out. When stripping the front end most of the 10mm captive nuts and brackets sheared off. I spent 3 weeks fabricating new brackets and drilling out/re-tapping nuts.
Then there was the £1500 respray...

....and then i put a GZE engine in it.

If you do it yourself i'd budget £500 for panels, metal and fittings. If you pay a garage then you are on minimum £40 per hour.
You won't make any money out of it but you will get a solid fun car and learn a lot along the way!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”