Starting problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Starting problem

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

right,

ive changed the starter motor now and i still have problems getting the car to start. the battery is fine as ive measured the voltage and stuff etc.

this morning i turned the key...nothing...just a clicking noise i can assume is the starter motor. then after leaving the key turned it began to slowly come to life. feels like when your alternator is not charging the battery and you get the slow burst into life...but not...!

are they any relays or fuses to check? ive just cleaned my earthing points up, all except the starter motor, which i should have done at the weekend but forgot.

any ideas?
Kooga

Re: Starting problem

Post by Kooga »

Still sounds like a battery prob to me...are you getting 14.4v across the battery on standby? What voltage do you get when its cranking over? Have you tried jump starting it to see if it goes?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

oh yeah it cranks. its intermittant.

it works by push starting it in really desperate situations.

the battery was at 14.4 with the engine on and cant remember what it was when it was off.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Turn the heater fan on in the car before starting, when cranking, does the fan slow right down?

If not then the problem is not a bad battery, more likely a bad starter motor :(
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Measuring the voltage wont tell you much at all, you need a drop test done on the battery. If it starts with a jump pack/jump leads then its your battery.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have changed the starter motor and I tested it before I put it in.

The battery is two years old but I thought it would have lasted longer than that.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”