[Mk2] [Turbo] Best Turbos for quick spool up?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattymr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best Turbos for quick spool up?

Post by mattymr2 »

ive decided to go down the forged route as my low mileage Meticulously maintained(by me anyway) rev 3 engine has a cracked piston ring.

i will be looking to upgrade the turbo in the future but im not looking for massive power/massive lag.

im interested in a turbo that will spool like the standard turbo or even kick in faster? and thought id start my research early

looking for up to 400bhp max really as i think for road and ocassional track use that sort of power in a rear wheel drive mid engined car is more than sufficent...lol.

any one got any recomendations?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best Turbos for quick spool up?

Post by Martin F »

gt3071 , a gt2860rs or 2871 would probably be better for your requirements but trust me , if there comes a time you want more power then all you have to do is up the boost and remap \:D/

make sure you get a T3 footprint though :thumleft:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

thanks for the quick reply martin.

what are the bhp ratings and characteristics of these turbos?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mattymr2 wrote:thanks for the quick reply martin.

what are the bhp ratings and characteristics of these turbos?

very good, think around 3500 revs for 1.5-2.0 bar of boost, 450+ bhp
turbo

Post by turbo »

hi mate im running a gt2876r and making 365bhp at the wheels and it spools up really nice was all set up at rogue
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

turbo wrote:hi mate im running a gt2876r and making 365bhp at the wheels and it spools up really nice was all set up at rogue

what boost are you running mate??
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

Td06 :thumleft:
sutton

Post by sutton »

turbo wrote:hi mate im running a gt2876r and making 365bhp at the wheels and it spools up really nice was all set up at rogue

Sounds awesome im also interested in the boost your running, and how quick exactly does it spool? Sounds awesome =P~
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

sutton wrote:

Sounds awesome im also interested in the boost your running, and how quick exactly does it spool? Sounds awesome =P~

Me too, is it a particular kit or a custom job?
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea i have four settings,the lowest is set at 1bar and the top one is set at 1.97 bar which is the 365 @wheels figure,the car was mapped by lyndon while he was working at rogue.the kit was all sorted by matt at rogue which was the turbo,oil and water lines and a down pipe that had to be made by a company that rogue use.all the work that has been done to the engine has been carried out by rogue and they are happy with the figures that the car made on that turbo and its great fun to drive and it starts to spool up at 3600.the engine is all forged and had loads of head work done as well with cams that rogue had made to the specs of my engine and loads of other bits as well which is too much too list but has taken a couple off years to get it to where it is now,also running a radtec cc so in a way it is a custom job.
sutton

Post by sutton »

=P~ =P~ =P~ so spooling is pretty much the same as the ct20?! You got any pictures mate?
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea as i say starts to spool around 3600 and on full boost by around 3900/4000 and it comes in really nice and smooth and yea have got pics will try and get them up later but as i say taken a while to get there :D
sutton

Post by sutton »

Fair play though mate, i bet its so much fun!! id much rather a gt28 rather than a massive laggy turbo
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea i was going to go for a larger turbo but after talking to matt for a while we decided to go for a gt28 as it suited my type or driveing :D
sutton

Post by sutton »

I bet you hate turning the car off i'd always be out on the b roads with that beast!
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea im allways out in it (i love it)i no there are more powerful mr2s out there and i hate to think what they are like cause mine aint slow :D :D and i like going up against evos and scoobys :D :D
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Spool is pretty much the same as the td06, 2bar of boost must sound and feel awesome!!!
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

^^ second that, the feeling of your face being ripped off must be addictive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stupid question, but even at that very impressive figure do you still get "used to it" as with say a stock rev3 tubby.
And do you still get the bug for more power :evil:

dave
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea it sounds great mate and yea its real nice to drive and as i say i feels real smooth all the way up the rev range it really pulls well in 3rd gear :D
turbo

Post by turbo »

yea you do get used to it after a while but if not careful it will bite you so have respect it and im allways looking for more power just comes down to money now

Return to “Modifications”