[Mk2] Replacing Bushes

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Cliff

[Mk2] Replacing Bushes

Post by Cliff »

I understand that a blow torch or vice is recommended to remove the OEM bushes, but if they are so difficult to remove, how easy is it to put in new ones? (I'm assuming they don't just pop in - or do they??) :-k
JohnnyC

Re: [Mk2] Replacing Bushes

Post by JohnnyC »

Pushing out the old bushes if pretty difficult. Setting them alight is both quicker and is more 'manly' :D

Putting the new ones in is best done with a vice or press.
I managed to get most of mine in fine with a C-clamp, but one was a bit stubborn so Sbits (who I'd bought the bushes from) kindly helped me out with their vice.
chr15_84t3

Post by chr15_84t3 »

i took all mine to a grage who put them in a press £20 later they were done. saved myself a good couple of hours messing with them. and from reading the range rover manual, burning them out is dangerous, the fumes are carcinagenic, and if the burning material gets onto exposed skin it can eat away at it.

gross
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

chr15_84t3 wrote:and if the burning material gets onto exposed skin it can eat away at it.

:shock:

Cheers for the response guys.

I'm hoping to do the front control arms this weekend, do I need any special tools.

What I'm worried about is if I undo the track control arms, are they fitted under pressure or can I easily just unbolt, fit the bush and re-bolt in without any problems?
2tmike

control arms

Post by 2tmike »

Takes about 15mins a side! Unbolt from the suspension end (2 nuts to remove) slacken the bolt that runs through the bush at the front of the control rodand tap the two bolts upwards lifting the control rod free of the suspension. This will then take the tension out of the bush end bolt and it will come out easily. To free the control arm you will need to put full lock on to let it miss the bottom of the shock. Then reverse the procedure for the new ones Put the bush end bolt in first and catch the threads on then attach the control rod to the suspension. Then put the car weight back onto the suspension and tighten the bush end bolt with the car at normal ride height. Good luck !
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

No special tools other than something to press the new bushes in.

One of the bushes has a metal sleeve that needs removing from the arm that it's in though. Think I hammered a screwdriver in it to force it out.

Only problem putting them back together is it'll be easier if you have something to push the suspension up a little bit.

There's some good pics here:
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=88039/

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=87493/

Oh, and it's the perfect time to change your old ball joints :)
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

2tmike - Cheers mate. Sounds easy after your explanation. Really helpful. Thankyou.

JohnnyC - Thanks for the links dude and the heads up on the metal sleeve!!

Can I just confirm though - Are you guys saying you can access the bolts with the wheels on the floor so long as the wheels are at full lock? And is there a certain amount I need to torque the bolts to or is it simply as tight as I can?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

You'll need the wheels off the ground to remove the strut rods & lower arms.

Here's a guide...
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/Knowledge_Base/o ... d=147.html

The bolts need to be relatively tight, then the whole car is lowered back onto the wheels when you're done - then all the bolts are tightened to the correct torque (which I'll try to find...).
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks JohnnyC.

That post is really good!! It does mention their will be spring tension when removing the front control arms though but a jack should be able to withstand this?

Really appreciate your help mate. :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks Dude.

I owe you a beer when your down south or when I'm up norf..

Return to “Mechanical”