[Mk2] [NA] tapping ????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flackie666

[Mk2] [NA] tapping ????

Post by flackie666 »

i have a tapping noise from the top of the engine gets louder and faster with the revs any ideas??? :thumleft:
Not So Fast But Just As Furious =]
tomTRR

Re: [Mk2] [NA] tapping ????

Post by tomTRR »

I'm having the same problem, anyone got any idea's? Thanks.
phipck

Post by phipck »

worn shims? would sound something like tappets but the mr2 doesnt have tappets :D .

shims are basicly spacers that sit ontop of the valves (hence why the noise is at the top of the engine) as the cam rotates and touches the valve caps (sat on top of the shims) they get worn slightly over time and to make sure you have the correct gap between the cam and the valve cap you need to replace the shims with the correct gague. if you dont, eventualy the valves wont fully open becasue shims are not thick enough for the cams to push them that far.

im sure there are some other suggestions too
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Could be the exhaust manifold blowing too, makes a tappy sound also.
h3_5xy_j

Post by h3_5xy_j »

phipck wrote:worn shims? would sound something like tappets but the mr2 doesnt have tappets :D .

shims are basicly spacers that sit ontop of the valves (hence why the noise is at the top of the engine) as the cam rotates and touches the valve caps (sat on top of the shims) they get worn slightly over time and to make sure you have the correct gap between the cam and the valve cap you need to replace the shims with the correct gague. if you dont, eventualy the valves wont fully open becasue shims are not thick enough for the cams to push them that far.

im sure there are some other suggestions too

i have the same problem too, is this a fix i can perform myself and how exspensive will it be please?
phipck

Post by phipck »

IF and i mean IF its the shims it isnt a costly job, but it is a very involved job. the simplest way to explain is for you to read this article, its the same process for n/a and turbo although there are minor differences in the strip down

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Docs/ ... stment.htm

i would investigate the correct clearence for the shims on the n/a before starting as they might be different from the turbo
tomTRR

Post by tomTRR »

Just had this problem. The no.2 lead wasn't pushed on top of the plug properly so it was earthing to the head :oops:

Sounded exactly as you described...try taking the leads out and putting them back in firmly.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

It does sound like the shims

Return to “Mechanical”