IMOC's new Server for 2009/10

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

IMOC's new Server for 2009/10

Post by BenF »

Folks,

Just to let you know that IMOC has just renewed our hosting with Memset for the next year, purchasing a new dedicated R200 server costing over £2k, which is around 15-20% faster than our old server.

This has been made possible by the income we get from our Premium Members who subscribe - many thanks for their support of the Club.

Everything has now been moved to the new server in the last week, and the move has gone relatively smoothly.

Other than the existing 'connect errors' issue here

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117596

Can you post here if you see any errors or problems with the site and we will look into them.

Cheers,

Ben
Quigonjay

Re: IMOC's new Server for 2009/10

Post by Quigonjay »

is the new server the reason it now gives a number instead of www.imoc.co.uk?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

At http://www.imoc.co.uk ? Yes, that was a hack Alex had to do before we pointed www.imoc.co.uk to the new server.

Its something that will be going shortly.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Still sometimes getting "slow" page load up, 1.399 seconds for one just a moment ago.

I know it's not slow in the grander scheme of things but compared to the average 0.5 seconds it looks like an occasional hang up? Plus it's late at night when the site isn't quite so active.

Just thought I'd mention it.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Just taken a look, and the server was actually very busy then with a load average of 4 - it is back to normal now ( this page took 0.7 seconds)

TBH, any page generation time under 2 seconds is perfectly acceptable - the backend database is 1.2GB in size given it has getting on for a million posts made over four years. If we took the decision to delete older posts this would speed things up - but as we'd loose useful older posts we've decided not to do this.

We are closely monitoring the database performance and I've optimised a query ealier today related to the Calendar that was taking ~ 8 seconds to run and putting a large load on the database - since then no queries have taken longer than 3 seconds to run against the database.

We are still seeing a small number of connection errors ( 2 or 3 in 100 ) - these don't seem to be related to load and are investigating further to see if we can trace a root cause.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Like I said, it was only slow in comparison to the load time I usually see.

I did however (not long after posting) have a load time in excess of 8 seconds.....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I've had long load times this morning, 11 secs plus.

Ben, what about removing the old for sale posts, is that done?
T
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Toni, we need to look in the Database logs and see what queries were being run that took a long time to complete. We need to ask Alex to take a look ..
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Just to close this one off - the slow page load time was traced back to some code in the Calendar function and fixed back in June :+:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ooh, did that actually fix it then? That's good :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Club News and Announcements”