seat mountings

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turner

seat mountings

Post by turner »

hello can anybody give me any advice on where i can get bucket seat subframes / frames from for the mk1 any info would be great cheers andy
SteveM

Re: seat mountings

Post by SteveM »

I'd be really interested in knowing about this too but I suspect from previous posts there isn't anything available and people who have fitted them have fabricated their own? I would have thought there was a market here for someone if they were able to fabricate things? Mounts for aftermarket seats and the abilitu to lower the stock seats is something that seems to keep coming up.
aw11rally

seat mounts

Post by aw11rally »

I made some custom mounting plates to fit a pair of cobra monaco s buckets to the standard rails (also lowered the seats slightly). It took a weekend but turned out to be rather simple in the end, all I used was a sheet of 5mm alloy plate/sheet and assorted nuts and bolts. This will only work for base mounted seats but if anyone is interested let me know and i can draw up some diagrams, might even do some cad drawings if there is interest.
turner

Post by turner »

well i have a cobra monaco seat so that would be really usefull if you could do that , that would be a great help matey :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

you can sometimes (i've heard, not seen) pick up (TRD?) ones made specifically for the AW11, but they are pretty rare and now also expensive.

Most people fabricate their own.
One way is to remove the runners from the old mk1 seats and weld them into the correct place on the upper part of the buckets runners or base frame. This is great if you want to maintain the movement on the seat, but does mean they sit a bit higher than the stock seats. not a problem if you are short, but not so good if you are taller and pop a helmet on for a trackday.
we had to do it this way as my legs were much shorter that garicks, but now we struggle along with a fixed seat, and i use a lot of cushions.

you can also buy 'universal' runners. these don't generally quite fit, but can give you somethign to start with to adapt.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If you weld a side mount to the existing runners it end up lifting the seat up a bit which is not what you want.

I did this then thew away the runners got another set of sidemount brackets and bolted the seat to the floor:

Welding sidemount to runners and seat fitment.
http://www.mr2.net/trackdayqueen/beardseat.htm

Scrapping the side mount with runners idea and bolting seat to floor:
http://www.mr2.net/trackdayqueen/seatrefit.htm

On runners:

Using a sidemount to bolt to the floor:

One thing to add. Avoid the crappy metal framed 'bucket' seats, they are rubbish.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
turner

Post by turner »

cheers thanks for the replies ,think we are just goin to try old runners idea to start off with just mess about trying different ways and see which is the best i guess and see what happens :thumleft:
System-G

Post by System-G »

The only place you'll find pre-made subframes for bucket seats to fit the AW11 is Yahoo auctions Japan. They are like hens teeth though.

Jo's (mr2mk1chick) got it slightly wrong with our track car. Originally we used the original runners apapted and welded to the underside of the bucket seat fittings, but this mean the seat sat very high and I could barely fit in the cabin without my head touching the roof, let along a helmet.

On the current car and seat set up, I've only the feet from the original runners have been used. These have been welded to the seats on subframe which makes the seat as low as possible. Only thing now is the seat can nto move forward/back and as Jo says, she needs cushions/pillows to get her seating position right.

I am planning on new composite seats sometime soon which will use customer runners being used which will be able to raise/lower and move the seat front to back, but this setup will not be cheap.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
BMR2L

Post by BMR2L »

The only place you'll find pre-made subframes for bucket seats to fit the AW11 is Yahoo auctions Japan. They are like hens teeth though

There's always plenty of them available but they are relatively expensive, especially with the yen as strong as it is at the moment. See this search:

http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/ ... 2084005258

Other issue is that almost no yahoo auction sellers ship overseas so you'd need someone local to help if you decided to go that route.

-Alan
System-G

Post by System-G »

Thanks for that search Alan :thumleft:

My searches have never shown that many results. I guess it's user interface (or lack thereof on my part :lol: )
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Although they are expensive at around £80 ish. There is the advantage that they save a bucket load of messing about :thumleft: The downside for me is that they appear to be all side mounting. I like my Cobra seats, but they are bottom mounting so it looks like I will need replacements :(

I do know that a friends brother is out there. If anyone does want stuff shipped let me know and I'll ask.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Loads on the link above that appear to be under-mounting :thumleft:
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Just had another look, yep you are right there, must be going blind :oops:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”