Best discs and pads?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

richyrask

Best discs and pads?

Post by richyrask »

I know this question has been asked before and I have done a fair amount of searching on the subject. I am currently rebuilding all the suspension and brakes on my Mk1b and already have some of the Ferodo FCP308 pads for the front of ebay. I now have to source discs all round as mine are very worn and i need some pads for the rear.

The main advice I have learned is to stay away from grooved and cross drilled discs as they seem to have a tendancy to warp or crack. So I think I will replace them with plain discs such as those from Brakes International.

Therfore I was wondering what makes of plain pattern discs people have used and what pads would you recommend for the rear to compliment the fronts.

Cheers

Rich
monkeymax

Re: Best discs and pads?

Post by monkeymax »

Rich,
I guess you've already had a search around the forum? (This question has come up a few times!)
I've gone for Ferodo up front, with EBC Redstuff in the back. And Brakes International discs all around as well as HEL S/S braided brake hoses. And I'm very happy with the way my Mk1 stops... ;)
(Though I think the rears tend to lock up before the fronts, (I've only tested it once!) which I actually prefer...)
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Disks from local motor factors and greenstuff pads all round. :thumleft:
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

dont buy apec discs there pants. brakes international or QH are good budget options. the best plain discs they you can get for any car are bembos not sure if they cover the mk1's though.
the pads you have are top notch, in the rear of mine along with those pads i have the mintex extremes iirc as they were the cheapest options and they apear to have stood up to trackday abuse so cant be all that bad.
id also recomend changing to stainless lines and inspecting the orginal steel lines very carefult for any corrosion.
4agte on the way
richyrask

Post by richyrask »

Exellent info, thanks.... I have the SS brake lines to go on as well and all the calipers have been serviced, blasted and painted. Itshould bulge my eye balls a bit once its all bedded in.

Just cant wait to get it finished but I think its going to be towards the end of summer now.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.

Some work so far

MartG

Post by MartG »

If you were intending to take the car on track, I'd recommend removing the dustshields, but for road use what you have is fine.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

:shock:

That looks better than new :mrgreen:

Very nice , any more piccy's :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
richyrask

Post by richyrask »

If you were intending to take the car on track, I'd recommend removing the dustshields, but for road use what you have is fine.

Not going on the track after the hours I will have put into her, I have also owned this car for 16 years so its my baby. I bought the disc gaurds new as I wanted to replace all the nackered bits. It already has Koni struts, Apexi springs and all the bushes changed with Superflex.

Very nice , any more piccy's

Most of the rest of photo's are of boring welding of the body. I repaired the inner rear arch yesterday (the bit in front of the wheel that always rots away) and then the rest of the rear suspension is restored and ready to go in the drivers side this weekend.

I then have to move onto the front and do the same there and weld in a new cross menber. The rad and fan cowls have already been restored ready to be fitted. I also have a new wing to fit and a few other bits then its off to the body shop for spraying.

Still some more welding to do and the the valances and stuff to finish spraying. My plan is basically to do all the body work and get the suspension and brakes top notch then put it on the road. Not done too much to the engine, just a good tart up, cam covers brackets etc.

I never realised that restoring a car would be sooooooooo much work, but it will be worth it in the end to keep one more black T bar on the road. :D
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Just one hint if you are going to get discs from Brakes International and being as you're doing such a nice job, when I got mine they were slghtly different- one had a slight groove around the bell, the other a slight ridge. I weighed them and counted the vents and they were identical so I felt happy to use them. In your case I guess you want the best possible so it might be worth going to a motor factors so you can see what you're getting.
Another vote for Ferodo FC308's, they're excellent pads and have never let me down on road or track.
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

If you can afford it then I'd recommend ADL (Blueprint) brake components. They're extremely good quality and some say they're the company that makes parts for the main Japanese manufacturers. I've bought Blueprint parts before and they are incredible quality. But the price does reflect that!

A cheaper option would be Brake Engineering parts. I've used this company many times and never had a warped disc yet.

Liam.
richyrask

Post by richyrask »

Thankyou very much for all the advice, as far as discs go I have now purchased a full set of new QH discs off a club member which were surplus to his requirements. Now just have to sort the rear pads.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”