[Mk2] [Turbo] help , just had new system fitted and it's hardly boosting

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] help , just had new system fitted and it's hardly boosting

Post by lee.w »

just got my car back today from having a system fitted with an aussie downpipe and it sounds nice and everything. but it doesn't spool up very well I cant really feel it boosting , plus my boost gauge doesn't go up now !! :pale: . any hopefull idea's , I know there's a chance of the wastegate being stuck open but it's a decent downpipe I thought it would be fine. cant afford for it to be in the garage again
Andytoyota

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] help , just had new system fitted and it's hardly boosting

Post by Andytoyota »

wastegate getting stuck is what i'd bet on, possibly the fitting is at fault?
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Andytoyota wrote:wastegate getting stuck is what i'd bet on, possibly the fitting is at fault?

what about the boost sensor , because my stock boost gauge doesn't go up .
Andytoyota

Post by Andytoyota »

If its not boosting much or at all then the boost gauge isn't going to go up either! The boost gauge uses a vacuum pipe from the manifold to get a reading i believe so no sensor involved as such.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Andytoyota wrote:If its not boosting much or at all then the boost gauge isn't going to go up either! The boost gauge uses a vacuum pipe from the manifold to get a reading i believe so no sensor involved as such.

so you could be saying a vacuum pipe isn't connected due to the boost gauge not working , also when I turn the ignition on ain't you suppose to have a blowing/fan kind of noise. I dont have that either
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Is the actuator arm still attached to the wastegate? If not it will just be flapping open and you wont produce boost.

If the garage did it take it back, tell them to sort it.

Graeme
Moo

Post by Moo »

^Trickster^ wrote:Is the actuator arm still attached to the wastegate? If not it will just be flapping open and you wont produce boost.

Graeme

+1

Aussie downpipes aren't known for catching the wastegate, I've got one and it's been fine from day one. Take it back the garage as it sounds like a fitting issue.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

^Trickster^ wrote:Is the actuator arm still attached to the wastegate? If not it will just be flapping open and you wont produce boost.

Graeme

why wouldn't the actuactor arm be attached , do you have to take the arm off to fit the downpipe ? . also what is the fan/blowin noise you get when you turn the ignition on to 3 is that something to do with the turbo/wastegate as I dont get that noise anymore
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Are your heater controls on or off? The Only sounds I hear when I turn Ign on is the heater fans starting to blow and the power steering.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Are your heater controls on or off? The Only sounds I hear when I turn Ign on is the heater fans starting to blow and the power steering.

off , I dont know why that blowing noise has stopped when I had a dp fitted
Moo

Post by Moo »

Other than the heater fans the only other blowing noise I can think of is the rad or intercooler fans. Where was the blowing nosie coming from, front or back? If the engine bay temp sensor was disconnected the intercooler fan would have been on all the time. Maybe this was the case and the garage noticed and reconnected the sensor? Just a wild stab in the dark.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Moo wrote:Other than the heater fans the only other blowing noise I can think of is the rad or intercooler fans. Where was the blowing nosie coming from, front or back? If the engine bay temp sensor was disconnected the intercooler fan would have been on all the time. Maybe this was the case and the garage noticed and reconnected the sensor? Just a wild stab in the dark.

coming from the back I think , you could be right. I just remember when you put the ignition on 3 you hear a loud blowing noise but only when you turn the ignition on and now it's stopped since I got it back , so is that a good thing
Moo

Post by Moo »

lee.w wrote:
Moo wrote:Other than the heater fans the only other blowing noise I can think of is the rad or intercooler fans. Where was the blowing nosie coming from, front or back? If the engine bay temp sensor was disconnected the intercooler fan would have been on all the time. Maybe this was the case and the garage noticed and reconnected the sensor? Just a wild stab in the dark.

coming from the back I think , you could be right. I just remember when you put the ignition on 3 you hear a loud blowing noise but only when you turn the ignition on and now it's stopped since I got it back , so is that a good thing

Check to see if the engine bay temp sesnor is connected. If it is then unplug it. This will make the intercooler fan spin the moment the ignition is on. Is this the noise you heard before?

Generally people disconnect this sensor to intentionally have the fan running all the time to keep the engine bay cooler or because the temp sensor has failed.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Moo wrote:

Check to see if the engine bay temp sesnor is connected. If it is then unplug it. This will make the intercooler fan spin the moment the ignition is on. Is this the noise you heard before?

Generally people disconnect this sensor to intentionally have the fan running all the time to keep the engine bay cooler or because the temp sensor has failed.

yep thats the baby , I dont suppose you know where the sensor is and what it looks like , :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

The temp sensor is bolted to the underside of the engine bay cover, in the middle toward the bottom edge. From memory it's a cylindrical piece of black plastic that tapers to a point. Its exactly the same sensor as plugs into the airbox.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Moo wrote:The temp sensor is bolted to the underside of the engine bay cover, in the middle toward the bottom edge. From memory it's a cylindrical piece of black plastic that tapers to a point. Its exactly the same sensor as plugs into the airbox.

cheers buddy , so it's definatly better unplugged then
Moo

Post by Moo »

It's up to you really. Having the fan running all the time won't make any difference when the car is moving as plenty of cool air will be coming in underneath and through the side intakes. The only benefit to be had is while stationary when you will be pulling air through the intercooler constantly instead of just when the temperature gets to a certain level. This might help reduce heatsoak a little.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

speaking of temps , my car seems to run so much better after a few ragging sessions , It picks up so much better, it's strange how it performs better :-k

Return to “Mechanical”