[Mk2] [Turbo] Power fc user's

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev 3 Kris

[Mk2] [Turbo] Power fc user's

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

I was just wondering if anyone on here has seen this Copilot software that was developed by an MR2 Spyder enthusiast?

From what I can tell, this should be compatible with the 3S-GTE,

Anyone using it or tested it out for the auto-tune functionality and ease of use?

If interested, first download and read at least the first two sections of the User's Guide here: http://www.mr-s.org/copilot/Copilot_2_0_8.doc. Right-click and save as.

Next, download the program here: http://www.mr-s.org/copilot/ Look for the latest version of the Copilot zip file.
Rev 3 Kris

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Power fc user's

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

Copilot for Power FC
Current version: 3.5.4. March 23, 2009

The latest and greatest Power FC data logging, display, editing, tuning, and replay software is now available. It is loaded with new features. Some of the new features which were not in the 2.0.6 "Lite" version include:

Online Auto Tuning
Previously you had to do data logging while connected ("online"), run it in offline mode and click Analyze, then run it in online mode and write the new base map. Now you can set it up so it reads, logs, analyzes, and writes as you drive. This includes auto tuning the base map and/or ignition timing. Online ignition timing changes are limited to retarding only for safety reasons.

Improved Auto Tuning Algorithms
This is rather complicated, but basically samples are weighted and balanced, and you have a clearer picture of what is happening due to additional maps which can be displayed, some in higher resolution than the 20 by 20 Power FC maps. For ignition timing auto tuning, the program looks at what is happening for each knock sample obtained, for example whether or not you are shifting gears, and decides whether the knock is most likely true knock or false knock (false knock can be caused by shifting noise). Also, if you want it to, it will retard timing when there is knock (even a small amount, which you may think is just noise) until the point at which retarding it further does not reduce the knock.

Street Dynamometer
The program looks for conditions that indicate a full throttle run in one gear and saves the data associated with it (not just HP and torque, but also AFR, knock, airflow, injector duty, boost, etc) in a Dyno file that can be opened later. If you want, the Dynamometer window will open automatically when there is new data. You can compare any two runs. Amplifying information, for example the car's weight and other factors affecting the HP calculation and notes, are saved and can be viewed as well.

Export to Google Earth
If you have a GPS antenna connected (example: DeLorme's LT20 -- around $60 and includes mapping software which can run at the same time), GPS data will be saved in the log, so you will be able to use the Export to Google Earth function. I've posted an example .kml file before (Google Earth input file).

Complete Replacement for FC-Edit
Well, almost. You cannot reinitialize the Power FC yet. I've added all the Fuel Injection Factors, Ignition Factors, Sensors, and so on. There are new windows for displaying, editing, saving, load, and writing all this new data.

Different Ignition Maps per Gear - REMOVED
This is actually described pretty well in the User's Guide. Unfortunately, I had to disable this code due to the complexity of the ignition timing auto tuning. It may be put back in later.

Better Communications Error Recovery
The Datalogit box is prone to communications dropouts. I have tried many things in software to work around this and the latest version seems to do a better job. I went for a two hour drive today and there were 6 momentary dropouts, all of which were handled automatically within a couple of seconds. The only reason I know it happed at all is there were messages in the log saying that it had handled them. UPDATE: Nope, that was too much to hope for. It still stops responding at times. Yet another update: It is working very well now after some more changes.

Rescaling Maps
A previous version added map rescaling, but I did not catch a bug that prevented the new map reference from being written. So this is just a bug fix, but it will not be in the Lite version... I am done updating the old code. It is just too much work to maintain two separate versions of the software.

Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge
These have not been tested, but should work with at least some of the sensors out there. Like the other virtual gauges, the data driving it is logged and replayed, so the gauges all work when replaying. Additionally, there is a Boost map, Boost trace on the chart, and Boost is included in the Dynamometer plot. The Boost map is 20 by 20 and can be displayed as average, min, and max, all per gear(s) (like HP and Torque maps).

Export to Excel Workbook
Most of the data, for example all the maps, airflow, and map reference, can be exported as a complete Excel Workbook. In a later version I will expand upon this to include all the data. Having the Power FC data in Excel makes it easy for people with Excel talents to implement their own formulas. You can also print, of course. Whether or not this particular feature works for you depends on what version of Excel you have... no guarantees that it will work on your computer.

Expanded I/O Capabilities
With Datalogit, you get 4 Analog Inputs. Copilot also supports Phidgets 8/8/8 boards, which give you another 8 analog inputs, 8 digital inputs, and 8 digital outputs. The inputs are all logged and analog inputs can be used for a wideband O2 sensor (faster and more precise than Datalogit or even LC-1 digital), an oil temperature sender, oil pressure sender, or boost sensor. That's all I have defined at present. I have built a hand controller with 8 buttons that connect to the Phidgets 8/8/8 card and do dedicated funtions in Copilot. Let me know if you have any special I/O needs and I can work with you on the software. Copilot works with a Phidgets accelerometer and any GPS antenna and driver that outputs NMEA (standard protocol) GPS sentences on an actual or virtual comm port.

Graphical User Interface Improvements
Many improvements here... too numerous to list.

Audio for Limit Check Alerts
You can now have it play any WAV file when a parameter (e.g., water temperature, knock, injector duty, ... up to 12 in all) exceeds a limit you define. A different WAV file can be used for each parameter, if you wish. A variety of WAV short files are installed.

2D Plot of Course and G Forces Display

This is an overhead view of where the car is with many features. A GPS antenna is required for this feature. The plot is a separate window and a miniature version showing just the track and vehicle position can be viewed on the Dashboard tab. Control of both plots center and scale is done via the 2D Plot of Course window, which you can set up to keep the vehicle on the plot (anywhere), keep the vehicle in the center, or keep it centered on any position. The Dashboard tab can now (as of 3.0.4) display a different style AFR gauge and a G forces plot (different from the G Forces window). Just click the different gauges/displays to make them change function. See the Jan 1, 2008 post on Page 17 of this topic for more information.

Video

Now (3.0.5 and greater) you can replay an AVI file in synch with all the other data (Power FC, wideband, GPS, accelerometer). This will be expanded upon in the future.

Economy Display

Computes and displays fuel economy as you drive. Similar to a Prius "Consumption" display.
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

no one tried this programme yet as it seems like a better programme than the original

where`s Ryan when you need him ? :D
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Isnt this something like datalogit? Ie you need a cable to hook it up to the pfc. I doubt this changes the settings on the commander.
dex

Post by dex »

Here's a thread with more info, screen shots etc about it http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45059
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

Its new software for the power fc so yeah you`ll need a datalogit to connect to your laptop
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

Never tried it but looks good. Will wait until its tested abit more. Wouldn't want to use something like this on a customers car just yet

Ryan
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

Ryan= few people have tried it now and are pleased by the results

Here's a review I found from a 240 owner/tuner

Review: CoPilot Power FC Tuning Tool
Love it. Takes a bit to get use to but the layout as far as fuel and ignition is the same as the FC-Edit software. As are any of the other controls the FC Edit software can do.
Then the CoPilot software takes it to another level. I have not used the auto tune portion yet but the manual edit is amazing. Diagnostic Info is much easier to look at it and logs automaticly. Will record the lows and highs for you on the fly for easy access. Allows overlays over ignition tables for knock readings without this being an option that has to be logged like it is on FC Edit.

This software also a launch control for the Power FC. The older Pro editions had this but the newer L Jetro removed this option. Which is the most common version.
The Launch control isnt a true 2 step but will build boost at stand still. The RPM can be set from 0-9999 rpms. Its activated when the software sees 0 mph and can be set to stay on till what ever mph you want. I see this being helpful for cars that spin a lot.

It has gear recognition and economy read out to give you a Fuel consumption.

It has a screen for gauges such as boost oil pressure water temp voltage and oil temp. They look like autometer gauges just digital. These can be hooked up to actual 5 volt sending units through the datalogit box via the inputs.
Wide band can also be inputted in to the software.

The auto tuning and manual tuning can be run offline(changes have to be written by command) or Online(changes take place when you enter them).

Auto tune is a new cool feature. It works with the wide band to tune the fuel map to as close as it can to your pre made map. So say example you want a 12.0 AFR under full boost from RPM 4-8K you set the map appropriately. The software then will tune the fuel using the wide band input to match your map. There are manual variances you input to how close and what AFR you want it start at to achieve the desired AFR.
Timing is added till a certain knock number is seen (manual inputted) and then backed off to a preset number (manual inputted).
The changes to the map are only made after a average number of samples are gathered. The sample number is set by the user the lower the sample number the less average. The average gives the ECU the best match to each cell of the fuel map. This is also done on the ignition tuning process.

Needless to say its impressive and a growing open source program. Unlike most of the Power FC editing tools this one shows growth and promise.

Source:
http://www.502streetscene.net/forum...d.php?p=2315510
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

tried to get on to the web site but it seems to be down ???
gtech

Post by gtech »

Give Tubby_Tony a shout on here, I posted this up to him about 18months ago and he was having a look into it to adapt for MR2 use (he's a programmer). Dont know how far he got as this year has been a bad year for him, BUT, if he knows that there are others out there interested, it may prompt him to do something with it.

Graeme
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

Why cant itbe used on the mr2?

The latest version has a setting for 3sgte
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

It can and its damn good. I have been using it for a couple of months now autotuning my off boost areas of the fuel map. It has been monitoring the knock on my car and pulled a couple of degrees ignition in a couple of high boost cells also.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

I'll give it a bash :thumleft:
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

If you have any probs PM me but Kevin Beane the author is normally available on

http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/inde ... 4c9ab106fb

but you need to register on forum.

Return to “Modifications”