[Mk2] [Turbo] can I use the standard bolts from stock/cat elbow onto downpipe

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] can I use the standard bolts from stock/cat elbow onto downpipe

Post by lee.w »

basically without having to fork out more money on bolts , can I still use the original bolts from the stock elbow/cat onto a aftermarket downpipe , or is best to buy new bolts again.
dansREV2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] can I use the standard bolts from stock/cat elbow onto downpipe

Post by dansREV2turbo »

i cant see why not mate....

.. 8-[ expects someone to jump on me!
-:[KM]:-

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] can I use the standard bolts from stock/cat elbow onto downpipe

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Get new ones. The amount of turbos I've seen come loose. They're single use and are only about 4 quid each.

If you're gonna re-use them, make sure you tighten them good...

The stock cat has studs in the bottom flange too, so you'll need some bolts there anyway. Not from Toyota mind...
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

what size thread are the turbo-elbow bolts?
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

dansREV2turbo wrote:what size thread are the turbo-elbow bolts?

have no idea , I'm having a turbo back system fitted soon so I thought I might be able to use the same bolts that are used on the stock elbow/cat to use with my downpipe . :-k
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

one more thing , does anyone know where you attach the downpipe support bracket :?

lee.w wrote:I thought I might be able to use the same bolts that are used on the stock elbow/cat to use with my downpipe . :-k
The only bolts you will be able to re-use are the two for the rear hangers & one for the support bracket... The standard DP has STUDS at the lower flange!!!

lee.w wrote:one more thing , does anyone know where you attach the downpipe support bracket :?
One of the old cat bracket bosses on the block, it's just above the sump IIRC...

Oh, and IIRC the stud threads for the turbo flange (the 6, or 7 studs) are an odd thread. 8x1.25 seems to spring to mind.. :-k Or was it 10x1.25...?

8x1.25 seems a regular size on reflection...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

it's 10x1.25

And the cat support bracket goes on the same fitting as the bracket on the oil return line! You knew that Keith! :D

Just remove the bolt, prise up the oil line bracket v.carefully and slip the bracket between that and the block.

:thumleft:

Skywalker wrote:it's 10x1.25
#-o Thought it was...

Skywalker wrote:And the cat support bracket goes on the same fitting as the bracket on the oil return line! You knew that Keith! :D
It's been that long since I've played with a standard set-up.. :oops: It's all a very distant memory.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Mechanical”