[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox - advice and suggestions

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pjeff18

[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox - advice and suggestions

Post by pjeff18 »

Hello, its my first post and first MR2 so be gentle!

I am due to complete a sale on a 1991 T-bar G-Limited for £500. The car is in good order except the gearbox has a small but annoying issue which I understand is common - shifting down from third to second is slow and there is sometimes a bauling sound.

The car hasnt been driven for 7 months - could this be part of the problem as after 3 or so miles the baulking stopped and he change became slightly better - or is this a result of the oil warming up?

Anyway,just wondered if you could advise on the following:

1) Will an oil change to Redline MT90, Motul 75w-90 or even thinner (lighter) Oil remedy the above?

2) I have heard that the latest rev boxes i,e rev2,3 are better is this true?

3) Does anyone know of a good gearbox with no issues?

P.S. I know that the later boxes have different speedo setup but this wont matter as I will be racing the car and have another idea re: speedo

Look forward to your comments

Paulh
^Trickster^

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox - advice and suggestions

Post by ^Trickster^ »

People say that redline does make a difference but really it depends on the amount of wear in the gearbox, oil doesnt put metal on plain and simple but you can always try it and see if it helps you,

Rev 3+ gearboxes have dual syncros which are much better.

Graeme
T-Bar Turbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox - advice and suggestions

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

Had my rev3 box swapped by Lewis recently ( Top Job :thumleft: ) i bought the Redline MT90 and it does make a difference imo

Return to “Mechanical”