Alternators: What would you do?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Which alternator replacement would you choose?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Genine Toyota (£350 + vat)
11%
Genine Toyota (£350 + vat)
11%
Recon Alternator (Rogue, £150, + £50 deposit which I may not get back)
44%
2nd Hand Alternator (Fensport, £45 + risk!)
33%
eBay Alternator (various, £40 upwards)
No votes

Total votes: 9

toxo
IMOC Committee

Alternators: What would you do?

Post by toxo »

My alternator has died, and I need a new one. I have a Rev3 turbo which uses a 90A (?) alternator with an oval plug. My alt seems to have failed through having filled up with oil ~6 months ago when my rocker cover leaked, and then slowly collecting all manner of crap from the engine bay inside it. Places that will sell a reconditioned alternator on an exchange basis tend to only give you your deposit back if your core doesn't need to be rewound. I'm a little wary of getting one from a breakers, as the first major trip I have to do after replacing the alt is driving to Le Mans and I don't want it to fail in France!!

What would you do?
Last edited by toxo on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Alternators: What would you do?

Post by toxo »

I missed TCB off the poll, they do recon alternators for about £110 delivered. Might be a very good option at this rate!
Last edited by toxo on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

to be fair its not likely needing to be rewound
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jdbecks wrote:to be fair its not likely needing to be rewound

I agree, but the way my luck with the '2 is going at the moment that'll be exactly what it needs ](*,) This has failed in the same month I need new rear tyres, car tax and to pay the final lump for a holiday in August! Rubbish timing.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I would search a breakers and see what you can find. Slot of toyotas will use the same alt, it isn't specific to the mr2. Sounds like you were unlucky, but unless you get a ropey looking replacement you should be fine.
poj20

Post by poj20 »

hi, look at 3s service centre. £120 for reconditioned or 2nd hanh £80
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ooh I hadn't thought of 3S. Good call.

I've since found a place online that seem to sell a suitable *new* replacement unit at about £120. It uses the right connector and supplies 90A so I'm gonna order up one of those and see - if it's decent quality and the right fitment etc then it could be a good find :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

I'd get the Rogue reconditioned one, infact I will probably be doing so very soon as my alternator doesn't like to turn very well at the minute, (new) belt keeps slipping, get interfearance through the stereo, bearings sound dry. :(
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I got noise through the stereo when mine was on the way out so you may well be right.

I ended up buying a unipart one, which doesn't seem to fit. ](*,)
Baker

Post by Baker »

goes to show saving a few pennies isnt always the answer unfortunately.

TCB recons are good, infact any recons are good. Its usually only the bushes that need replacing, which costs about £40. take your one into any suitable alt shop and they can do it for you if thats the way you want to go about it.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Actually it's down to something much simpler :) I hadn't supplied them with the part number for my old alternator, so they'd sent me the wrong one. That's now been resolved and I have a different alternator sat here waiting to go on.
larry93

Post by larry93 »

Recons are good ! :thumleft: .

To be honest most new parts you buy for your Toyota, Ford Etc... if it's a older model and sometimes a new model, it is more than likley a recon unit, They just dont tell you.

Larry.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Brand new unipart alternator installed. For reference, a 90A unit w/oval plug to fit a rev3 turbo was ALT30092-R (replacing part number 27060-74500). Direct from Hillmart UK Alternators (www.alternatormart.co.uk) w/next day delivery for under £120.

Baker> I was put off TCB's recons as they told me that they use the older style alternator (round plug) with an adaptor cable, and as far as I'm aware the older units aren't rated as high. I might be wrong there though.

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”