For Sale section - new structure

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jmachling

For Sale section - new structure

Post by jmachling »

We're going to rearrange the For Sale section to hopefully make it easier for you to find the parts you need and also that your for sale post doesn't drop off the first page after a few days.

'Parts For Sale' will now have the following subforums:

Mk1 (all variants)
Mk2 n/a (OEM and aftermarket)
Mk2 Turbo (OEM)
Mk2 Turbo (aftermarket and tuning)
Mk3

MR2s For Sale will have 'MR2s Being Broken' as a subforum.

This will be a work in progress for a little bit while we're setting it up and moving posts around to their most appropriate section.

As ever, any comments or ideas, do let us know.
pacman160778

Re: For Sale section - new structure

Post by pacman160778 »

I'm not sure the categories will work mate, theres aftermarket parts for the Turbo that will fit n/a surely?

Things like wheels, interior parts, strut braces, etc., etc.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

pacman160778 wrote:I'm not sure the categories will work mate, theres aftermarket parts for the Turbo that will fit n/a surely?

Indeed - anything that doesn't fit neatly into one of the subforums should be posted in the main Parts For Sale forum.

We can't have subforums for every eventuality, but hopefully these will help people find/sell the parts in a slightly more organised manner.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

pacman160778 wrote:I'm not sure the categories will work mate, theres aftermarket parts for the Turbo that will fit n/a surely?

If that is the case they will stay in the main for sale section.

The majority of items will be categorised though.

If it does not work, we can always revert back to the old set up. trial and error and all that! :wink:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

I don't see what was wrong with the old set up to be honest. I have my bookmark for this forum set to go straight to the parts for sale and found it pretty good and straightforwards, and i usually checked out what interested me going by the title.

Now things are all over the place, its going to be a nightmare. Perhaps its just me though :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'd have done that slightly differently. A subforum for MK1, MK2 and MK3, and then you could have subforums of those forums, say Turbo and NA for MK2, SC and NA for MK1. Items that fit both kinds would go in the forum for that mark, and items to a specific model would go into the subforum.

Like this:

Parts For Sale -> Mk1
Parts For Sale -> Mk1 -> NA Only
Parts For Sale -> MK1 -> SC Only
Parts For Sale -> MK2
Parts For Sale -> MK2 - NA Only
Parts For Sale -> MK2 - Turbo Only
Parts For Sale -> MK3

It's more or less the same structure most online parts shops use. That said, you'd have the same problem with that layout that you'll have with the new one, which is that when people are presented with too many options, they put things in the wrong places :)

Good luck!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

toxo wrote:I'd have done that slightly differently. A subforum for MK1, MK2 and MK3, and then you could have subforums of those forums, say Turbo and NA for MK2, SC and NA for MK1. Items that fit both kinds would go in the forum for that mark, and items to a specific model would go into the subforum.

Like this:

Parts For Sale -> Mk1
Parts For Sale -> Mk1 -> NA Only
Parts For Sale -> MK1 -> SC Only
Parts For Sale -> MK2
Parts For Sale -> MK2 - NA Only
Parts For Sale -> MK2 - Turbo Only
Parts For Sale -> MK3

That said, you'd have the same problem with that layout that you'll have with the new one, which is that when people are presented with too many options, they put things in the wrong places :)

Good luck!

Unfortunately you can only have one layer of subforums :(

We'll see how it goes. If no-one likes it, we'll put it back to how it was :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Pah do the phpbb upgrade already ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

toxo wrote:Pah do the phpbb upgrade already ;)

:lol:

Oh I would if I could, believe me. ](*,)

It's going to happen, but there are a few things we need to sort out before it can to ensure it doesn't go the shape of a pear. Watch this space :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I did already offer Ben my assistance when he first put the ad up ;) Anyway, back on topic; unless the existing for sale ads are sorted into the new categories people have *even more* places to have to look for stuff and probably won't use them.

I'll shut up now :)
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Sorry but im really not digging the new set up, theres too many different sub forums now, maybe just:

Mk1
Mk2
Mk3

Would be better :-k
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

toxo wrote:I did already offer Ben my assistance when he first put the ad up ;) Anyway, back on topic; unless the existing for sale ads are sorted into the new categories people have *even more* places to have to look for stuff and probably won't use them.

I'll shut up now :)

:lol: no need - member input is always appreciated :thumleft:

Scott's busy sorting out the For Sale ads at the moment into the new sections. We're hopeful it'll be an improvement.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

stevieskydive wrote:Sorry but im really not digging the new set up, theres too many different sub forums now, maybe just:

Mk1
Mk2
Mk3

We did consider that. The problem is that the Mk2 section would be just as much of a mess as the Parts For Sale section used to be as most parts sold on here are for the Mk2.

This isn't set in stone. If it really doesn't work, we can do something else.

It's your club, after all :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jmachling wrote:Scott's busy sorting out the For Sale ads at the moment into the new sections.

Rather him than me!!
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

toxo wrote:
jmachling wrote:Scott's busy sorting out the For Sale ads at the moment into the new sections.

Rather him than me!!

There's no stopping him when he's got the bit between his teeth. He's the IMOC terrier :lol:
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Too messy IMO and I now have to check 4 subforums :(
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

nailmonkey wrote:Too messy IMO and I now have to check 4 subforums :(

Once the main for sale forum is cleaned up i am confident it will work.

If you are after bodykits or wheels you now have all those items listed in one place. If you own a Turbo, and you need a stock exhaust, or a stock CAT, stock suspension...you look in the OEM section.

If you want to upgrade your turbo, suspension, or add some Apexi or Blitz gadgettry...then look in Aftermarket.

The way it was set up, the whole first page was filled with posts less than 2 days old. Items were falling onto page 2 & 3 too quick. Now, with each dedicated sub-section, it will be better to find specific items.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

stevieskydive wrote:Sorry but im really not digging the new set up, theres too many different sub forums now, maybe just:

Mk1
Mk2
Mk3

As it stands at the moment there is 10 Mk1 items for sale, nothing in Mk3 and the rest Mk2. The above would of made no difference other than finding a Mk1 part easier. :eye:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Sorry but i think its all ar$e about face. I have no idea where to post or where to look for things :?
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Scott Barton wrote:
nailmonkey wrote:Too messy IMO and I now have to check 4 subforums :(

Once the main for sale forum is cleaned up i am confident it will work.

If you are after bodykits or wheels you now have all those items listed in one place. If you own a Turbo, and you need a stock exhaust, or a stock CAT, stock suspension...you look in the OEM section.

If you want to upgrade your turbo, suspension, or add some Apexi or Blitz gadgettry...then look in Aftermarket.

The way it was set up, the whole first page was filled with posts less than 2 days old. Items were falling onto page 2 & 3 too quick. Now, with each dedicated sub-section, it will be better to find specific items.

Thanks for the reply but I could be interested in items from all Mk2 subforums, hence having to check all four. Overall IMOC is a fairly small, quiet forum so although the items on the first page were all two days old or less, this doesn't mean that items are falling off the first page too quickly. Popular or well-priced items will be on the first page until sold, common or over-priced items will disappear. Also, as bargains occasionally appear and get snapped up quickly, I think that most people were checking the old For-Sale page frequently, certainly more frequently than every two days. There's also the search function if you're looking for something specific.

Nik

Return to “Club News and Announcements”