V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by PW@Woodsport »

This really is seriously amazing stuff....what on earth to you do and think about in your spare time???

What's spare time? :D

Cheers lauren, i'm making a new front bulkhead for the cabin which will be a very strong box shape with unboltable panels on it for engine access.The plan is then to put heat foil etc on the engine bay side of the panels and as much sound deadening on the cabin side as i can.It probably won't be the nicest car to drive, i'm very real about that, it's handling could be all over the place and i expect it to tram badly and have ridiculous amounts of oversteer but for me it's more about the challenge of building it than how it will drive.

Heat build up is also a major concern, i have a passenger side engine bay vent like the drivers side and will probably run a few spals in the bay.

I agree on the ABS, i will probably leave that off and just learn to drive! My E36 325 kicks in way too early although it has improved massively since i fitted better tyres.

God knows how this will turn out. :pray:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Wot no turbo's .... pfffft :wink: :mrgreen:

Considering the weight in the back I think this has real potential to bust wheelies with some drag radials on. DOOOOOO IT!

Better cut a window in your floor, you might need that to see where your going.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

For insurance you'd be better off quoting the engine and say it's been modified to an MR2 rather than the other way around.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

matt_mr2t wrote:For insurance you'd be better off quoting the engine and say it's been modified to an MR2 rather than the other way around.

Different insurance companies will have diffferent procedures of how to deal with a car like this.. but most will run for the hills :lol:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

There was humour intended in my comment lol.

I would imagine on a serious note that that stopped being an MR2 quite some time ago. So perhaps kit car insurance would be more apt?
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
This really is seriously amazing stuff....what on earth to you do and think about in your spare time???

What's spare time? :D

Cheers lauren, i'm making a new front bulkhead for the cabin which will be a very strong box shape with unboltable panels on it for engine access.The plan is then to put heat foil etc on the engine bay side of the panels and as much sound deadening on the cabin side as i can.It probably won't be the nicest car to drive, i'm very real about that, it's handling could be all over the place and i expect it to tram badly and have ridiculous amounts of oversteer but for me it's more about the challenge of building it than how it will drive.

Heat build up is also a major concern, i have a passenger side engine bay vent like the drivers side and will probably run a few spals in the bay.

I agree on the ABS, i will probably leave that off and just learn to drive! My E36 325 kicks in way too early although it has improved massively since i fitted better tyres.

God knows how this will turn out. :pray:

once the engine is in and everything is driveable sorting the suspension wont be too hard. give me a shout when it gets to that stage and im sure we can sort the handling out ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers jim, i might just do that unless by some minor miracle i've got it spot on first time (unlikely!)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I have now figured out the driveshafts to get drive from the Audi gearbox to the hubs, in the end it was pretty easy using a combination of Audi and Toyota parts that thankfully mated together which was very lucky.

Also i have ditched the huge Audi alternator and relocated a small toyota one to the opposite side of the engine.

I have also decided to go for the same VEMS ecu unit that Hilly has used on his lotus (it's Hilly who will be building mine and modifying my engine harness), this should free up a few more ponies in the process too :thumleft:

So all of the major obstacles are now worked out, and i have started boxing in the front firewall too and it appears i have more room for a seat than i first thought.We have also nicknamed this car the MR8, "MR2+ Audi R8" :D
Firestick

Post by Firestick »

This is truly amazing. A riveting read and an amazing conversion.

Can't wait for the result.

And you Sir should be applauded.

:clap:
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Sorry Paul only just had time to read this, Mate, you are awsome & so will that can be too :clap: , i know you well & know you are in your element when doing crazy stuff like this :mrgreen: , i wish you the best of luck mate & cant wait to see it in the flesh, top marks !! :thumleft: , Jinxy
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers jinx, it really was time someone in the UK stuck a v8 into an mr2, loving every second of this build.... the funny thing is it is working out nowhere near as hard as i expected it to be.
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

PW@Woodsport wrote:the funny thing is it is working out nowhere near as hard as i expected it to be.

I'd touch a piece of wood if I were you..... Infact best hug an Old Oak :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

lol nige, what i mean is so many things on it have just come together with way less fuss and working out.... ok it's not exactly plug n play but the fact i am finding compatability between audi and toyota parts is a huge help.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

You know i for one would pay good money just to be taken for a ride in this.

problem is if i take my mk1 for a V6 conversion to you after having a go in the v8 i think it would ruin it
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How much can you pick up one of those V8's for?
I would imagine they're fairly pricey?

What made you go for the Audi V8 Paul? Purely the Lotus conversion or is there something unique about it? IE weight, angle, size etc?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I paid £1000 for this S8 (340bhp) AHC unit, you can get the ABZ (300bhp) unit for a lot less, around £500-£800 gets you one of those.The gearbox will cost anything up to £500, but its all of the other stuff thats needed that makes it costly.... my driveshafts alone are working out at about £300 for both by the time i have bought all the custom parts.I reckon there is a good £3500-£4000 in total parts including the standalone ECU.

The shortness of this engine and its weight were big factors, its a very light,compact unit.... it produces very good power,sounds amazing and has the overall audi build quality about it.The bottom line though was its length, it is shorter than a V6 believe it or not.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

if its shorter than the V6 why did you transverse mount it?

i have a strange feeling the answer is "Because im Paul Woods and i Can!" :oldtongue:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL, no nothing that simple im afraid.Making the audi unit fit transversely is doable but it has some very big hurdles to overcome.

The driver's side driveshaft does not have a clear exit path from the gearbox to the hub, it would hit the oil filter assembly, which can be moved, next it will try to hit the oil pump, which could also be removed, but that would mean serious block modification,maybe even some alloy welding to the block.It would mean a dry sump system and remote oil pump, but technically doable.It would then need a bespoke timing belt making :shock:

Also it would need a gearbox adapter plate,a custom flywheel, hybrid clutch etc.... so there would be a lot of money to spend just mating gearbox to engine.The good news however is that once all of this was worked out the driveshafts/clutch operation/gear linkages/speedo/reverse light are all taken care of.

So that is the reason why its an "easier" route to mounting it inline.... plus it lets us have a 6 speed box,true supercar engine/gearbox layout and oh... it's cool as hell :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

fair point well presented :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I saw an RS4 give it some welly the other day Paul and it made me go all wobbly at the knees :thumleft:

A noise no inline 4 will ever make no matter how much power or how big an exhaust it has [-X

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”