New 'Guru Corner' forum ***Now Live***

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jmachling

New 'Guru Corner' forum ***Now Live***

Post by jmachling »

There will be a new forum appearing soon called 'Guru Corner' in which Premium Members will be able to post questions of a particularly interesting or challenging nature to the 'MR2 Gurus': IMOC Affiliates and selected IMOC members who have consistently demonstrated accurate expertise in a certain area.

It is aimed to promote the sharing of technical knoweldge and expertise from the many decades of experience these people have.

- It will not be a free-for-all. Only the Gurus may respond to these questions
- You may get different opinions from different Gurus. It's up to you to decide which bit of advice to go with. There will be no arguing.
- There is no guarantee your question will be answered as the Gurus are all busy people and will be participating in this forum voluntarily
- You can pose a question to a specific Guru, however, they are under no obligation to reply for the reason given above
- It is not a business discussion forum. Prices for work cannot be sought or quoted and any such posts will be removed. However, if you find a particular Affiliate has a solution to your problem, there is no problem continuing your discussion over PM should you wish to pay for their services
- Any common, simple or inappropriate posts will be removed

As a guide:

Inappropriate:

'What oil do I need for my Rev 3 turbo'
'How do I do an engine change?'
'My car won't start when it's hot. What's wrong with it?'
'wot iz da loudest bov innit?' :clown:

GOOD:

'I'm building a MK2 race car and have made X modifications to the engine/gearbox. I'm using oil Y but have noticed significant wear/repeated failure of component Z after a couple of races. Is this likely to be the oil and what else might I try?'

'I've been thinking about making X modification to the location of my suspension mounts in order to increase negative camber. I've not seen it done before and am interested if it's going to have the required effect and if there might be a better way of achieving Y degrees of camber'

'I'm trying to fit a Rolls Royce Merlin engine to my Mk1 and am wondering about the best way to mount it. Any suggestions?'

So start thinking of your questions ready for when the forum goes live!

Any suggestions or queries, please post them here :thumleft:
Last edited by jmachling on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ

Re: New 'Guru Corner' forum ***Now Live***

Post by JJ »

IMOC Affiliates and selected IMOC members who have consistently demonstrated accurate expertise in a certain area.

Who determines the IMOC members ?? :-k
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

The Committee and Moderators are discussing who might be approached - it is based roughly on the following:

- consistent contribution to the forum
- demonstration of extensive experience and knowledge/qualification in at least one area of MR2 expertise
- demonstration of a professional and friendly approach to other members

There may only be one or two members put forward for this or none at all. I am of the opinion that, while the views and expertise of the Affiliates as passionate business people will be of great benefit, so will the views and expertise of passionate enthusiasts approaching it from a different perspective.

This forum is new and has not been tried before - it'll remain flexible and open to criticism so please make any views known to me directly or to any member of the Mod team or Committee.
Turbocarl

Post by Turbocarl »

Or you could call it the Paul and James Corner :mrgreen:

Just kidding - I think its a great idea!! :thumleft:
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

What about if a "guru" question is unanswed by a "guru" due to them either not knowing or being to busy, but a "non-guru" can provide a answer?

Surely this scenario would ultimatly lead to questions being left unanswered and I would certainly feel unhappy about not being able to reply to a member in difficulty because I was not classed as a "guru".

I often find myself sifting through the topics that have 0 posts answered on them and try to help in someway, I would not and the others that do this too, would then not be able to help unanswered posts.

Perhaps adding a "Can a non-guru answer my question?" as the "guru`s" dont know or are to busy could help here.

I also feel strongly that often more than one persons input guru or non-guru is a far better way to come to a conclusive answer.

Yes sometimes people write irrelevant replies to questions but then again this is supposed to be a open forum and 2 heads are better then one.

What your are proposing really is just getting people to pay via a premium membership for advice and help from what I thought was a open forum where everybodies help and support is appriciated.

I am premuim member of this forum as I see paying a fee is my duty to help the forum stay live, however I dont agree that members should have to pay via a premium membership to get help from affiliants who are willing to devote free time to helping others and defiantly should not have to pay for help from other non-affiliants who have been deemed guru status.

Perhaps making this forum a forum were a fee has to be payed to view all areas but from a initial joining (first time joiner) a free period is allowed to show what is available?

Thanks, Lewis Jay (MR2 guru :lol: )
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Lewis Jay wrote:What about if a "guru" question is unanswed by a "guru" due to them either not knowing or being to busy, but a "non-guru" can provide a answer?

Surely this scenario would ultimatly lead to questions being left unanswered and I would certainly feel unhappy about not being able to reply to a member in difficulty because I was not classed as a "guru".

I often find myself sifting through the topics that have 0 posts answered on them and try to help in someway, I would not and the others that do this too, would then not be able to help unanswered posts.

Nothing to stop you sending them a PM :)

Perhaps adding a "Can a non-guru answer my question?" as the "guru`s" dont know or are to busy could help here.

Good point. It'd be no problem to move the thread to an open forum if that happens.

I also feel strongly that often more than one persons input guru or non-guru is a far better way to come to a conclusive answer.

Yes sometimes people write irrelevant replies to questions but then again this is supposed to be a open forum and 2 heads are better then one.

Posts may well be answered by more than one 'Guru' and the OP could receive a number of different bits of advice. Plus, the usual style of posting will still be going on in the other forums. Anyone posting in Guru Corner will only be expecting replies from the 'Gurus'. If they want a broader response, they are welcome to post elsewhere. Even if they do, they may still get a response from one of the nominated 'Gurus' - they won't stop posting elsewhere just because this new forum exists.

What your are proposing really is just getting people to pay via a premium membership for advice and help from what I thought was a open forum where everybodies help and support is appriciated.

I am premuim member of this forum as I see paying a fee is my duty to help the forum stay live, however I dont agree that members should have to pay via a premium membership to get help from affiliants who are willing to devote free time to helping others and defiantly should not have to pay for help from other non-affiliants who have been deemed guru status.

Perhaps making this forum a forum were a fee has to be payed to view all areas but from a initial joining (first time joiner) a free period is allowed to show what is available?

Everyone's help and opinion is appreciated and will continue unchanged outside this forum. It's been created as an additional Premium Member 'perk' for people that have specific issues that they only want to pose to this team.

It won't detract from what goes on in the rest of the forum as Affiliates can and will still answer the same sort of posts and enquiries they always have. The new forum is just to try to allow interesting, challenging and/or unique topics to be discussed without anyone and everyone with an opinion joining in.

It may work, it may not. However, I hope IMOC members will make good use of it and I hope it proves to be beneficial in generating some interesting discussions.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

i think this is a great idea ! there maybe a bit of conflict in opinion , but there is always something to be learned no matter your knowledge about something in particular . speaking through knowledge about something and actual experience are 2 different things . i personally would go with experience :mrgreen: just my 2 pence worth . :thumleft:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

The forum is now live :)
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

I dont like the idea where the O P cant reply to the origonal post.

I.E. I want to post a reply with my experiences in this thread after taking advice:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

But i cant :-k
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

We had to do that as people didn't seem to be able to read the guidelines that only the OP and Gurus were allowed to post in there.

I can open it up temporarily if you'd like?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

John who moderates guru corner? irrelevant threads keep being posted almost daily that should not be there, it just gets tiring reporting threads that should be in the common forum, i thought that section was for indepth technical discussion only?

Recent thread include "i've lost my keys" and "do rev1 na's have lambda sensors" .... it is slowly turning into the main forum.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Paul that is indepth technical discussion on imoc, haha

Graeme
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

[Deleted]
Last edited by JeffD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Recent thread include "do rev1 na's have lambda sensors" .... it is slowly turning into the main forum.

i asked that as no one in the main forum would give me a definate answer, funnily enough it was moved back to the main forum and still remains with no definate answer, maybe i should put a poll in off topic :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Why not just look under your car? 10 seconds will tell you if it has one or not, it should be just before the rear subframe as the exhaust loops over it.

The guru section is for indepth technical discussion only.
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

because my car has a full non standard exhaust with every sensor fitting blanked and it was suggested the lack of a lambda sensor could be the reason i'm getting bad mpg while cruising - hence the question should it have one
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

An instant fault code pull which takes a minute to do would show a lambda sensor code if it was supposed to have one and it was missing.

Bridge Te1 and E1, count the dash CEL flashes. :thumleft:
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

i'll give that a go next time i'm near the garage, and once i work out what it means, thanks paul
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I typed "fault codes" into the search and the very first thread it returned, 2nd post in, has everything you need to know about fault codes and how to retrieve them.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ault+codes

Return to “Club News and Announcements”