Manual Boost Controllers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Manual Boost Controllers

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Just wondering what Manual boost controllers are like? If I cant fix my EBC I was wondering wether to spend £300 on a EBC or £17 on a MBC (theres a little difference in price :) :shock: :shock: )

Does the Turbo still kick in / Spool as fast as it would with an EBC?

Thanks
Razor04

Re: Manual Boost Controllers

Post by Razor04 »

It's a very snappy delivery with the MBC's its either on or off like a switch.
they work fine for what they are :thumleft:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

MBC are ok, it's a compromise though - obviously you get more engine load/more boost in higher gears (so be sure to set boost in 3rd gear) so you then get slightly less in 1st and 2nd, whereas EBC will continually adjust to a set boost pressure.
Might be worth checking ebay out, you can pickup decent 2nd hand ones for £100~£200.
craig

Post by craig »

I have an MBC from GTSchris on mine. Faultless, running 1.1 bar.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

might get a MBC for now then.

Dont realy want a 2nd hand EBC incase it fails like this one has that was already on my car. If I got a new one at least I have a warranty etc

Where do the MBC's connect? Does it goto the pipe on the Turbo housing and then to the pipe on the actuator (the same pipes that the EBC uses?)

Thanks
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

whats wrong with your EBC? May be able to replace the faulty part.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

rossdymond3352 wrote:whats wrong with your EBC? May be able to replace the faulty part.

Doesnt hold boost properly. Set to 0.8bar it flies to 1.2+bar. when you get close to the set boost it starts doing this strange like on off boost movement where the car will boost to 0.8bar, drop to 0.5bar, back up to 0.8bar, drop to 0.5bar like this /\/\/\/\/\/\

Tried setting it up loads of times and even tried skipping the setup but still the same.

Heres the thread I made about trying to fix it first before buying a new one -

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115754

Oh and its definatly the boost controller at fault, when turned off it boosts fine and when disconnected it boosts fine.
jim55

Post by jim55 »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:might get a MBC for now then.

Where do the MBC's connect? Does it goto the pipe on the Turbo housing and then to the pipe on the actuator (the same pipes that the EBC uses?)

Thanks

my mbc is rock solid set at 16psi ,easy to fit as well (one end to the turbo ,the other to the actuator and block off the tvsv hose ) spools up really fast and seems to come in quicker ,for £20 or so its well worth it :thumleft:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Make sure it's a ball & spring valve (sometimes known as Grainger valve), avoid bleed valves. I used a ball&spring valve to good effect for a time.
MBCs are ok, but they're *never* as good as an EBC, but if looking for something inexpensive then they're perfect.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im realy thinking MBC route now if I cant get the HKS EVC working due to the price. Im guessing GTSChris's and xxxx are the ones people go for?

Its just £300+ for a new EBC is quite alot when I could put that money towards a stand alone ECU sometime in the future that can manage my boost along with everything else :thumleft: :thumleft:

Oh and fitting will be a 30 second job as the pipes are sitting their and ready just to joing up :mrgreen:

Thanks
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

They are good for the money but as someone already said they are a bit on and off and came make the turbo come in late. In 2nd gear in my car the turbo doesn't hit full boost until over 4Krpm although when it does come in, it's a good shove. I also get the boost tailing off which shouldn't really happen on a rev 3. I will hit 1.1bar ish at 4.5Krpm tailing to around 0.9 at the redline. This could also be due the fact i have the standard exhaust and cat on. An ebc you can get the boost in earlier and it hold much better.
b4rk3r

Post by b4rk3r »

The TVIS Kid wrote: In 2nd gear in my car the turbo doesn't hit full boost until over 4Krpm although when it does come in, it's a good shove. I also get the boost tailing off which shouldn't really happen on a rev 3. I will hit 1.1bar ish at 4.5Krpm tailing to around 0.9 at the redline. This could also be due the fact i have the standard exhaust and cat on. An ebc you can get the boost in earlier and it hold much better.

That doesn't sound good for a rev3.. I get 1 bar at 4k and it will probably drop to 0.9 at most in 2nd. Standard ct26 with a grainger.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

The TVIS Kid wrote:They are good for the money but as someone already said they are a bit on and off and came make the turbo come in late. In 2nd gear in my car the turbo doesn't hit full boost until over 4Krpm although when it does come in, it's a good shove. I also get the boost tailing off which shouldn't really happen on a rev 3. I will hit 1.1bar ish at 4.5Krpm tailing to around 0.9 at the redline. This could also be due the fact i have the standard exhaust and cat on. An ebc you can get the boost in earlier and it hold much better.

Have you disconnected the VSV? Mine wouldnt hold to redline without VSV disconnected.

Make sure you adjust the boost controller after though.
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I had Rogue check it when it went in for a service. The guy there said it was all ok and felt quick. Could be the greddy unit giving a faulty reading i suppose. I will double check that the VSV is disconnected this weekend when i get it up on stands.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

where is the VSV?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

You need to get underneath the car, under the inlet manifold, theres a electrical plug.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”