Replacement front disks & pads

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rowey200

Replacement front disks & pads

Post by rowey200 »

Not had MR 2 for long...so bear with me....

My pads are low on the front and the disks are believed to be warped (due to the amount of shaking my steering wheel does under hard braking) so I plan to replace both. ...

What are my options? Rogue only seem to have OE items!

The car is a rev 4, and is mainly used on the road with 2/3 track days a year....

Also, is there a 'how-to' for replacing the front brakes, nothing in the 'knowledge base'

Thanks in advance :thumleft:
TheRoadWarrior

Re: Replacement front disks & pads

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

OE items are fine for discs tbh, drilled and slotted are available from some places but they're more prone to cracking so best to stay with plain discs. Pads wise, at the moment i'm using mintex pads and they have been very good. Camskill are a good supplier for brakes and other parts.

Fitting is easy, jack the car, remove wheel, unbolt the caliper from the carrier and swing it out of the way. The pads can then be removed and the disc slid off the studs. Only tip on the disc fitting is to clean any rust off the hub before mounting the disc and if possible use a dial gauge to check the disc is on flat.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

http://www.crnproducts.co.uk/catalog/

Do some good deals on disks and pad combos :thumleft:
With premium membership I recon I saved £50-60 on a full set of disks pads and Goodridge lines :thumleft:

Fitting guide :
www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=144
Its for the MK1 but there is no real difference between the two :thumleft:

BTW DONT buy a Gunson easy bleed kit from Halfords for £20- they dont work on MR2's :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

Standard discs are fine mate, carbotech pads have a good reputation :thumleft:
willydc26

Post by willydc26 »

just did this last week, had the same exact problem as you. i would suggest having a table vise handy, as the pistons on the caliper bracket were rusted in, causing the pad to grab unevenly, eventually leading to warped rotors and failed MOT.

just spray the pistons on the bracket itself, not the calipers, with wd-40, and work them loose. clean them well, and grease them and reseat the rubber boot before reinstalling. brakes work great now.

Return to “Mechanical”