Door trim strips - how to remove?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pacman160778

Door trim strips - how to remove?

Post by pacman160778 »

As the title says, can someone tell me how to remove the trim strips on the doors?

I need to remove them without bending them or anything. :-k
marc GT Turbo

Re: Door trim strips - how to remove?

Post by marc GT Turbo »

i use a few different methods to remove trims that are stuck on with double sided sticky ! i remove them often in my job for paintwork . one method is pour hot water onto the trim (softens the sticky) or use a heat gun . good luck :thumleft:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Are they only held on by sticky pad things?

I don't want to bend them when taking them off as if they are anything like the other trim strips, when they get bent its near impossible to straighten them again ](*,)
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

they bend because they have a thin metal strip inside them . i use an old credit card to push between the panel and trim to ease it away :thumleft:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Thats a good tip, thanks! :D

Will attack them next time i'm up at the workshop, theres a heat gun there i think :)
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Pacman,

The only two that are stuck on are the small one between the front wheel and door (does have a small plastic plug though, and the door strips. Rest are bolted in place from behind. You can get to the rear ones from the boot and rear wheelwell, vent ones are difficult, need to remove the plastic surround near the seat belt and you will see a round rubber plug, remove that and put a deep 10mm socket in the hole to find the nut. There's another bolt in the rear wheelwell and a popper. The very front have two bolts which you can either reach by removing the weather shields from the underneath, or the headlights.

Please note that all the bolts in the wheelwells will probably shear off as you undo them. I fortuantely had a spare set of strips and had to chop some of the spare thin n shaped metal bolt holders off and weld them the new strips.

Hope it helps

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Oh yes i have the rear quarter ones off already (yeah with some sheared fittings ](*,) ), its the actual door ones that i need to get off :-k

Oh and the ones from the front wings :-k I actually had a wing off (for another reason) and theres no fixing behind it, so guessed they must be glued on :whistle:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”