MK1 "Lights On" Reminder buzzer

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

MK1 "Lights On" Reminder buzzer

Post by jimi »

As all you MK1 owners will be aware the "Lights On" Reminder buzzer is a pretty pathetic effort. That's because it's basically a relay oscillating at high speed that makes the sound.
I decided to improve it to something more audible and up to date. After some investigation I reckoned I could fit a Piezo buzzer inside the existing relay.
I bought a 12 volt 3-Tone Piezo Buzzer from Maplin (Order Code: KU60Q) for £3.49.

Modifying the relay

The relay is brown and is mounted in the top left side of the front boot, remove it from the bracket and take the plug out.

Use a small screwdriver to unclip the back, remove the circuit board by pushing the pins on the socket.
The case will need a minor modification, I used a Dremel to remove a small rib from the top of the case, you can see that in this picture.

All the components can be removed from the circuit board either by de-soldering or a pair of snips. Leave the 4 flat pins.
Position the new buzzer on the board as shown and drill a couple of small holes to feed the wires through. There's no need to secure the buzzer to the board as it's a snug fit in the case once assembled.

Replace the circuit board and buzzer back in the case. Solder the Black and Red wires to the board as shown.

If the green and yellow wires are connected together a two-tone siren sound is produced; if the green and orange wires are connected together the unit emits a pulsed tone, and if all wires are left unconnected, the output is a continuous tone.
I liked the sound best with all 3 wires joined together, but it's up to you.
replace the back of the relay, refit the relay to the car, refit the plug and the job is done. :+: :D
System-G

Re: MK1 "Lights On" Reminder buzzer

Post by System-G »

Cool 8) :thumleft:

It is worth noting though that the 1a never had the buzzer to start with (well none of mine have anyway).

Is this retro-fittable to a 1a?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
sketch

Post by sketch »

System-G wrote:Cool 8) :thumleft:

It is worth noting though that the 1a never had the buzzer to start with (well none of mine have anyway).

Is this retro-fittable to a 1a?

Cool indeed but as G said, mine has never had a buzzer. :(

Bit of a git really as I'm always leaving my sidelights on. ](*,)
System-G

Post by System-G »

sketch wrote:
Bit of a git really as I'm always leaving my sidelights on. ](*,)

Yup :oops:

It's why I always now just have full beam instead of sides only because 9/10 I come back to a flat battery ](*,)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
coverco

Post by coverco »

I don't see any pictures, and I like the sound of this mod Jimi, I have done all your others.

Is it just me or is there a problem with the pics?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Works fine for me :?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
coverco

Post by coverco »

That is weird, it does for me too now and I havn't changed anything :shock:
Pug_crew

Post by Pug_crew »

I'd like to know if this can be fitted to a 1a.

Sounds like a good idea.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tommy
I have an extra buzzer ( I bought 2) if you want it ?

I'll need to look into the wiring, it's quite possible it can be retro fitted to the 1a
On the 1b it only alarms when the lights (sides or mains) are on and a door is open. shouldn't be to hard to figure out for a 1a I'll look into it.
Pug_crew

Post by Pug_crew »

Well done Jimi, appreciate news on a 1a version.
coverco

Post by coverco »

jimi wrote:Tommy
I have an extra buzzer ( I bought 2) if you want it ?

I'll need to look into the wiring, it's quite possible it can be retro fitted to the 1a
On the 1b it only alarms when the lights (sides or mains) are on and a door is open. shouldn't be to hard to figure out for a 1a I'll look into it.

Jimi, you are too kind. I will only have it if you let me pay for it :thumleft:

PM me your Paypal e-mail and add a bit for postage and I will send the money.
jimi

Post by jimi »

I think I may have a simple solution for the 1a guys, but since I have a 1b and there are subtle wiring differences, I need someone with a 1a and a multimeter to check 2 things for me. Any volunteers ??
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

I fitted a lights on buzzer to my 1a 4 years ago. Just get a buzzer from an electrical store to start with. Then find the fuse for sidelights in the driver footwell and solder one of the wires to the buzzer to the wire going to the back of the sidelight fuse. After that solder the other wire to the earth side of the door open switch. Or at least that's how I think I rigged it up. Can double check for those interested. Works perfectly still :mrgreen:
jimi

Post by jimi »

After that solder the other wire to the earth side of the door open switch

not the earth side or it will sound as long as the lights are on irrespective of whether the door is open or shut. Other than that it's basically what I'm looking at, but doesn't involve any soldering and is all done at the fuse box :wink: If I'm right it will take about 5 mins to fit one can even be done on a 1b if you didn't want to gut your original relay.
Pug_crew

Post by Pug_crew »

Jimi,

I have a 1a, multimeter and very little electrical knowledge but willing to give it a go.

Keep it Simple and I may stand a chance.

What do you need checked out?
jimi

Post by jimi »

Roy
Have a look at this picture
Where the red wire is plugged into, circled in Yellow, is a unused fuseholder ( the Tail fuse is normally in the space above it I just had it out for testing)
If you look closely at it you will see there is only a metal contact on the left hand side of it. With the ignition off, could you check for voltage between that contact and a good earth on the body, should be 0 volts
Then repeat the test with your sidelights on, you should get 12/13V (depending on your battery)
2nd thing
Does the 1a have the blue plug that's in the bottom of the picture ? if it does is there 2 Red/white wires in the same position as circled in the picture ?
Cheers
Jimi
Last edited by jimi on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

Oh yeah slder before switch would make more sense #-o. It had been a long day :D . I originally had spades on the end of wires and put them in fuse box but decided to solder them a week later.
Pug_crew

Post by Pug_crew »

Jimi,

Very clear instructions - just what I needed.

There's good news and bad news.

Checked the fuseholder contact and found voltage there when I put my side lights on just as you suggested (ignition off).

I also have the blue plug however there is only one Red/White wire in the bottom right hand corner. It is the lower of the two in your photo.

I did take some photos to show what I found but I can't work out how to post them on here.

Hope this helps.

Let me know what you think.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Pug_crew wrote:
There's good news and bad news.

I also have the blue plug however there is only one Red/White wire in the bottom right hand corner. It is the lower of the two in your photo.

Actually it's all good news, cheers Roy :thumleft:
The difference in the 2 red/white wires agrees with the 1a diagrams I have and doesn't matter, it will work fine.
All you need to install a light reminder in a 1a is:-
1 12v buzzer same or similar to the one in my first post
1 Red Male Blade Crimp like this
and 1 Red Flat Pin Crimp like this
To install it, crimp the male blade connector to the +ve lead of the buzzer ( usually a red wire) and plug it into the fuseholder contact, same as in my picture. If you bend the crimp a bit, the cable can be fed out the side and the fusebox cover refitted (it may even clear the cover without bending it).
Crimp the Flat pin connector to the -ve lead of the buzzer ( usually a black wire) and push that down the side of the red/white wire on the blue plug ( where I have a piece of wire in the picture).
Position the buzzer where you want it, (the one I pictured should be small enough to fit behind the trim panel below the fusebox) and that's it :thumleft:
You now have a light reminder buzzer same as the 1b.
If you open either door with the lights (sides and or main) on, the buzzer will sound until you either switch the lights off or close the door.
Enjoy :D
Pug_crew

Post by Pug_crew »

Thanks for that Jimi.

I'll pick up the bits from Maplin next week something and get it installed. Sounds an easy quick mod - worth doing.

Just one furher question - will I be able to adjust the tones produced as per your initial post?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”