ignition timing question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jeffandal

ignition timing question

Post by jeffandal »

hi, i have read the BGB on how to set the timing but as i have a power fc i am unsure how to check it on my tubby , anyone had any expirence doing this or am i missing something realy simple ?
JJ

Re: ignition timing question

Post by JJ »

Hmmm.... well that a general rule of thumb to set the stock ecu up if the distributer was ever moved....

Power FC setup... well.. the timing / ignition is setup by the tuner at the different map points...

If you're thinking of getting it tuned in the future.... I'd willy the distributer over to a retarded position... then the mapper / or you can set the ignition timing with plenty of advance through the dataloggit to attain the best performance... but allowing you to retard it when on serious load....

ie... if the distributer is too far advanced... then on tuning, you'll be limited on how much timing you can remove.. which will limit the boost you're able to run...

If you've had the dizzy off.. you're best off playing it safe and sticking it in a retarded position.. and monitor the knock values...

hth
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jeffandal

Post by jeffandal »

thanks for that ,
looks like i should set it up retarded, then go looking for someone to map it for me, i was kinda wondering how i was giong to disable the adv / retard to check it anyway .
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

A ha - I am having the same problem, but I have only just finished rebuilding the engine.

How do I make sure that the dizzy is in any position, how do I stop the PFC messing with the ig timing so I can find where it's set.

And how do I spped up the tick over, is this a manual jam the butterfly in a slightly open position jobby.
JJ

Post by JJ »

looks like i should set it up retarded, then go looking for someone to map it for me

Ryan at 2Bartuning can help, he can advise the nearest rolling road and set it up there..... but agreed, set it up in a retard state.... My dizzy's practically cocked right over....

How do I make sure that the dizzy is in any posi

Anti-clockwise = Retarded
Clockwise = Advanced

Engines that have been mapped, then the dizzys pulled off must be marked at set back up in its "mapped" position. Failing that, stick it in a retarded state for a retune....

how do I stop the PFC messing with the ig timing so I can find where it's set

I've never done it or needed too....... I've just taken it as dependant on the ignition table value at that RPM / Load is what the ignition timing is advanced to. Its not so much the idling you need to worry about... its the top end under boost... thats what expires engines... especially as it comes on boost.. ignition / fuel / air temp... all factors...

"And how do I speed up the tick over, is this a manual jam the butterfly in a slightly open position jobby."

Nope, dont adjust the butterfly....as the idle control valve will try and compensate ( back to square one ).

If you've got a FC commander :

Settings > Enter > Rev Speed > Enter >

Half way down, you'll see the idle values for idling with electrical load, idling with a/c and just plain ole idling. Adjust the basic one initially ! The power FC will go through a few minutes learning curve to settle the idle.

hth.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||

Return to “Mechanical”