What brake pads to use on trackdays?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

What brake pads to use on trackdays?

Post by Wingers »

From what I hear, standard pads are cheap and generally very good but won't stand up to track abuse.
DS2500s are a step in the right direction and good for light track use but I'm not sure how they'll stand up to a few hard trackdays.
Pagids sound like they're very good but also mega expensive. Are they really needed or is that just hype?

Before anyone gets too upset, I have tried searching and although this seems to be a topic that creeps up every now-and-again, I can't seem to find out much in relation to track use only.

Given the price of stock pads I'm happy to run those on the road and then have a set specifically for trackdays if that's what it takes, but if a middle-ground pad would work then I'll stick to just the one set.

What do others use, and I suppose more specifically, has anyone tried running a mild track pad (DS2500s or similar) on a track and found them to fade and/or pick up?

I've got a rev2+ brake system btw...

Cheers,

Wingers
JohnnyC

Re: What brake pads to use on trackdays?

Post by JohnnyC »

Carbotech :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I've got rev3 discs + carbotecs and not much on the track can brake as late as me!!!!! Never got any brake fade yet either!!!
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Sounds like a plan!
I had seen those mentioned before actually.
Are they good for road use as well or is it worth putting something else else on for everyday driving?

Also, where do you guys get them from?

Cheers,

Wingers
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I had carbotechs, they were dusty as hell and squealed like a b1tch when they weren't up to temp. When they were though, you knew about it. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Just fitted Carbotech XP8's to my race going mk3 MR-S.
Absolutely stupifingly good - 60 to standstill in about 1.5 seconds or possibly less.
Prices have gone up this year, they're not cheap.
Once you had good brakes it's hard to go back mind!

:thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Wingers wrote:Are they good for road use as well or is it worth putting something else else on for everyday driving?

Also, where do you guys get them from?

Can't comment on the XP8, as I've got the Panther+/AX6.

I was concerned about road use, if they'd be terrible until warmed up.
But they are superb from cold :thumleft:

I've never had any major squeal though, just minor.
They are very dusty though.

Can be bought from SBits or Rogue.
As already mentioned, they're gone up around 50% since a year ago - and they weren't cheap then.
al10

Post by al10 »

I use EBC yellow stuff on my mk2 championship car,i find them to be really good,no fade work well from cold but do get better once up to temp and from what i gather are quite a bit cheaper than carbotech.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I use Mintex 11144 (i think thats the designation). Very good brakes, work from cold, nice feel and lots of stopping power. Dust and squeal though.

Whats weird is now the brakes are so good I have found I have to brake even less than I normally would, as even the slightest nudge sheds a good amount of speed.

They are also reasonably priced £50
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I don't doubt that the Carbotechs are great pads but having checked out Rogues website they seem pretty pricey (and it's probably gone up from the quoted price due to currency changes), and the heat ranges seem very high as well. Possibly more than I need...
I certainly wouldn't mind using them but if the cheaper pads do the job then I'd be silly not to at least try them first.

I already tried looking for Ferodo DS2500s as they're meant to be a decent value pad but can't seem to find those anywhere :(
I've seen some bad comments about EBC pads but I used to run them on an old mx-5 that I used to race and they were fine on that so I don't mind those, Mintex sound sensible too at that price (assuming it's an axle set, not a corner).

What sort of places do you source them from?
All the generic auto factors around here only supply standard pads, and anywhere "race" want at least 2 limbs in exchange for a set of brake pads!

Wingers
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Mintex are better than the Ferodo. Thats per axle set too. Think I got mine from Camskill.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I can voucher for Mintex 1144's too, put those on the wife's FTO.

If the price of Carbotech's don't come down by the next time I need new pads then I'll be going Mintex too.

Only problem I remember hearing about with the Mintex (not sure if it's specifically the 1144's) is that they're difficult to get hold of for the SW20. I think Mintex effectively make them to order :shock:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

In the end I bit the bullet and went with Carbotechs. They have a good rep on here and a lot of the mr2 challenge cars run them so that's gotta be a good sign.

I did look at the Mintex but the price of those was gonna be £200 for the car anyway so for an extra £90 I went with the Carbo's...
I couldn't find anyone who could find any Ferodo pads for an SW20 in the end which seemed odd but I'd pretty much given up on those anyway as I don't think they're quite what I'm looking for.

Wingers
aw11rally

mintex

Post by aw11rally »

i've got 1144's on the rear of my rally car (mk1a fronts) and they are good, a lot better than anything from ebc, green to grabby then no balls, yellow crap cold ok warm crap hot.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Has everyone who runs on the track upgraded to dot 5 fluid?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I wouldn't recommend dot 5.

Dot 5.1 is okay though.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sorry, that's what I meant #-o
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Motul RBF600 is a pretty good fluid, and that's only a Dot 4 :)
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Ive just done a track day at mallory using yellow stuff pads all round and they where spot on. Had no fade and l wasnt going easy on them. Oh and be sure youve got decent and new brake fluid.
mr2mk1chick

Re: mintex

Post by mr2mk1chick »

aw11rally wrote:i've got 1144's on the rear of my rally car (mk1a fronts) and they are good, a lot better than anything from ebc, green to grabby then no balls, yellow crap cold ok warm crap hot.

strange, as we love the ebc yellowstuff on our mk1a track car :thumleft:
never had any fade, and driven hard round most uk and some euro circuits.
used braided lines, dot 5.1, well refurbed calipers.
top job :mrgreen:
they aren't perfect on my runs to work, but you get used to their feel when cold braking

we get through a few sets a year, but cost £110 for all 4 corners (with imoc discount)

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”