[Mk2] [Generic] bomex bonnet vents. ( border not bomex )

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

redmr89

[Mk2] [Generic] bomex bonnet vents. ( border not bomex )

Post by redmr89 »

im after something to change the look of my bonnet. and was thinking bomex bonnet scoop like this,

what do your thoughts on these. im not bothered about function just looks, but could they be functional? and what do you do with the rain water. im guessing its just gonna run straight down into the frunk.

cheers guys ( and girls )
Last edited by redmr89 on Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slipping clutch

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] bomex bonnet vents. ( border not bomex )

Post by slipping clutch »

I think thats a border bonnet or replica - the vents do serve a purpose on border bonnets - there is a kit that goes with the bonnet to angle the radiator back bit and I believe you cut part of the front of the frunk out which allows more air through the rad and out of the bonnet and helps increase down force on the front of the car.
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

yeah definitely a Border (or replica)
fearless

Post by fearless »

hmm i would like to see pics of where the frunk has been cut, i would also like one of these bonnet scoops thay are on ebay for £40. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

You remove the plastic slam panel, the one round the bonnet catch. When used with the radiator relocation kit it lets air escape up and out of the bonnet vents.
phipck

Post by phipck »

theres absolutely no need to cut the frunk. the vents only come through where the plastic slam panel above the radiator is, as the last post suggested.

remove the slam panel and the water will run through the vent and down to the radiator, the frunk will remain exactly as it is all nice and sealed when the hood is down, it should help reduce front end lift at speed as the increased air pressure at speed builds against the bulkhead behind the radiator and would be able to vent both up and down opposed to just down with the stock setup

i would aim for an original or fibreglass replica to ensure the alignment is good. Ive seen some home made versions which arnt exactly ideal.
fearless

Post by fearless »

funny enough i was thinking of getting a bonnet to play with and have a chop shop moment, thing with the fibreglass scoops you get sagging and thay crack when the bonnet is slammed, i cant justify spending £500/£600 on a carbon one though mmmm have to have a think thanks for that didnt want to start cutting my car about :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

well the ebay item your talkin about bonds on top of your bonnet so it wont sag. as for it cracking when slammed, i dont know. but surely if ya bond it with glass fibre resine it shouldnt crack id guess. maybe i should get one and report back later..
fearless

Post by fearless »

where its bonded to the bonnet its blended into bonnet with filler so it looks like all one bit, i think the term is called (frenched in) and then where the join is it cracks i know their are flexible fillers but ive seen it so many times on show cars aswell,
one good thing with us i never really open my frunk anyway so chances of it cracking would be minimal compared to a normal car with engine in the front so could be ok to be honest,
let me know how you get on because i have been considering this for ages as i really love the bonnets but dont want to spend that much money on a proper one and this looked like a good idea would be good to see,
nearly got the back end of my car sorted with a tubby engine cover and autopista spoiler so could be the first mod for the front. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

There's a madpsi carbon one in the for sale section at the mo for £150... think it may have gone but it's not finalised yet....

R.
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

HighwayStar wrote:There's a madpsi carbon one in the for sale section at the mo for £150... think it may have gone but it's not finalised yet....

R.

I've payment ready to go anytime for that and the engine lid \:D/
fearless

Post by fearless »

ive seen that a bit cheap dont you think fair play if its ok , only thing that worrys me he is selling a engine cover aswell but have to open boot to close engine cover :shock: bit strange makes you wonder if bonnet fits ok got to be worth far more than that surely. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Yeah i seen that about the engine lid, but i'm willing to take a chance on them both as i've been after both parts for a while. And have a hole burning in my pocket at the minute :-$
fearless

Post by fearless »

no matey good luck all the best for you, engine lid you might be able to elongate the holes in brackets to sit back a bit further if their is a gap at the back that is, so see how it goes could be the bargain of the century :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

i like the chop shop route, i have just bought an engine lid to play with, the fibreglass ones are too expensive for what they are plus theres never exactly what i want for sale. so im going to play with an N/A lid and see what i come up with, either way it will be cheaper than buying a new fiberglass or carbon fibre lid and i get exactly what i want.

i had concidered doing the same with my frunk lid, but theres alot more to the alignment for that......think i will practice on the engine lid first ;)
fearless

Post by fearless »

ive just got back from the paint shop having a few things painted, im really liking the idea of these scoops might buy one next month and have a go to be honest,
now i cant decide on having it painted same colour as car or a very gloss black seems to be the in thing to have black or carbon bonnets at the moment and might go for that,
god this car is costing me a fortune havent got the last 3 mods on it yet and im planning the next. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

i got my bonnet today from larry93 all good no damage courier was very good very very carefull with it he was indeed, read horror storys of people getting bonnets so damaged thay couldnt use them,
all i have to do now is buy the scoop and some hard board to make a template, going to spray it myself i have just serviced my compressor and going to buy a water filter, new spray gun, and a regulator for the gun going to spray bonnet in gloss black which ive heard is the hardest to spray nevermind im quite good with aerosol can so fingers crossed,
should be ok really after my last paintwork i had done i wasnt impressed hence why im going to do it myself and hopefully save myself a packet wish me luck, heres the bonnet flattened down only one small dent which will be covered by scoop which is a result. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

keep the progress pics coming. i'll be doing this soon and want to see how you get on with it :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

no worrys will show pics of all progress, its pay day tuesday so order scoop then ive just noticed thay have changed advert on ebay and added best offer so might have to have a go with that its £54 with delivery so try and get it a bit cheaper,
ive been buying my tiger seal and my rubbing down paper just need the scoop a bit of hardboard and im ready to go then its save up for a decent spray gun and the paint e.t.c to paint it should be fun what have i got myself into. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

I think thats a border bonnet or replica - the vents do serve a purpose on border bonnets - there is a kit that goes with the bonnet to angle the radiator back bit and I believe you cut part of the front of the frunk out which allows more air through the rad and out of the bonnet and helps increase down force on the front of the car.

Think your right martin, look what nath is doing at the minute, same thing i think??

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=420

Looks the muts nuts :lol: :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”