[Mk2] [NA] Poly Bush Fitment

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tony67

[Mk2] [NA] Poly Bush Fitment

Post by tony67 »

I bought a poly bush kit from sbits by group buy on here about 2 years ago and never got round to fitting them. I have dug them out and have vowed to fit em for the summer.
Now I'm pretty handy with a socket set so I'm sure I can do this myself. My only problem is knowing what bush goes where. I dont wanna remove somethin I dont have a replacement for. The kit I got is for a rev 1 i think thats relevant.

http://img11.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture008ciq.jpg

Images 2 and 7 are duplicates of the full kit 10 bushes in total each of which comes in 2 pieces and a slieve.

Now I've found out that image no 4 above is the front strut bush. Can anyone tell me where this goes on the car?

Image 8 is the 4 smaller bushes 2 have a narrow hole slieve 2 a slightly wider hole.

Image 6 is a mystery not even sure if its assembled correctly.

Also which bush are the washers for?

Any help would be appreciated
Tony

edit
found this list of what is included in the kit anyone know what is what?

SW20 full kit contents:
Front control arm bush x 2

Front strut bar bush x 2 (Rev1 or Rev2+)

Rear control arm bush x 2

Rear strut bar to chassis bush x 2

Rear strut bar to control arm bush x 2

All required inner sleeves and washers

ARB bushes fitted already
JohnnyC

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Poly Bush Fitment

Post by JohnnyC »

Have a read here (I asked the same - and I fitted mine 2 years after buying them too :mrgreen: )

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=101359/
tony67

Post by tony67 »

Thanks mate thats cleared up the rear perfectly. Should be able to figure out the front from that too as there will only be 4 bushes left. Gonna give it a go at the weekend once the rain holds off, no fancy garage here.
Thanks again. :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah, fronts are easily figured out.

Good luck! :thumleft:
tony67

Post by tony67 »

Just as a follow up I finally got around to fitting poly bush kit. I was quite a tough job as I was learning as i was going along. Took 4 hours for the rears and 3 for the fronts. Ran into some difficulty on re-assembly on the rear. I mis-aligned the bolt that locates in the captive nut inside the subframe and damaged the thread cos I left it till last. Anyone reading this looking to do their own I advise locating this bolt first as you cannot get at the captive nut if its damaged.
I pressed the old bushes out with a vice and a few sockets. Cut the lip off the old bush first it comes out easier.
I got a loan of an 18V snap-on impact driver halfway through the job, if you have access to one use it, it took some of the graft out of the job and you wont need to swing out of a car on axle stands. You will need a universal joint though.
I have taken the car on a spin and it feels good. The wheel wobble is all but gone a balance should finish the job. Steering play has vanished. Doesn't tram-line so bad now either. Even though the car drives straight I assume the geometry is all out and since I've never had it done thats the last job to be done.
Anyway i hope this saves someone time, take note of that mis-aligned bolt issue I had. It cost me over an hour to fix.
Good luck
Tony
ashley

Post by ashley »

Glad you got there in the end, I just did the rear of my car too- really wasn't as big a job as I thought. I used a heat gun to get the old bushes out- which was smokey, but worked well.

Did you work out what the washers were for in the end?
tony67

Post by tony67 »

ashman wrote:Glad you got there in the end, I just did the rear of my car too- really wasn't as big a job as I thought. I used a heat gun to get the old bushes out- which was smokey, but worked well.

Did you work out what the washers were for in the end?

I assume they were for the Rear strut bar to control arm bush but I used all the old washers, they were in good condition and I was positive of their locations, seemed a safer bet.
I can only imagine the smoke those things gave off when you were burning them out. 2 years off the end of your life eh. :( . It was quite a job pressing them out in the vise. If I were to do it again I'd use a heat gun a lot less work.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I can only imagine the smoke those things gave off when you were burning them out. 2 years off the end of your life eh. . It was quite a job pressing them out in the vise. If I were to do it again I'd use a heat gun a lot less work.

lol- wasn't too bad, but I did it outside and stayed up-wind of the smoke!

All I really did was get the rubber hot enough to break it's bond with the suspension arms, and then pressed the bushes out.

I didn't use the washers either- the holes in the centre of them were too small for the control arm, so like you I used the originals.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

For the control arm to strut bar bush, you do use the old washers.

The washers that are supplied with the kit go here (pic by PoohBear):

Same for the front IIRC.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Just checked the front and you are correct :thumleft:
tony67

Post by tony67 »

JohnnyC wrote:For the control arm to strut bar bush, you do use the old washers.

The washers that are supplied with the kit go here (pic by PoohBear):
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/P ... rmWash.jpg

Same for the front IIRC.

Awh willy, #-o gonna have to go at it again. So I have 4 washers does that mean 1 per corner? I see the rear pictured showing 1 washer. I thought those bushes went in fairly snug didnt think there would be room for a washer in there. Will have a go at it this weekend. Fingers crossed.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeh- one per corner :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”