cable identification 4age..

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mosguido

cable identification 4age..

Post by mosguido »

hey,

quick question with pics... couple of wires on my mk1 on refitting the engine, i cant remember where they plug into, or even if they were plugged in to begin with or not..
Hopefully somewhere here can help me out by identifying the cables and where they connect to, or dont..
for more info, my engine is an early 'blue top' but the car and all wiring is the original 1988 wiring, from the red top engine. have looked on my mates 87 mk1 but it has the earlier wiring and neither of these 3 cables.

One is a blue plug similar to one that plugs into the airfilter/battery side of the car, but at the moment is hanging under the inlet manifold near the alt. cant find anywhere for it to go..(tho this one i havent looked too far yet heh)

other one is two blade kind of connectors, that are in the wiring next to the distributor, both on the same cable, cannot find anything anywhere in its cable reaching vicinity where they could plug into, but im sure i must be missing something.
crap pics below, the blue plug is obvious which one i mean, the other two, one is in the forefront and out of focus but is on the same cable to the one in focus next to the red dizzy cap. If anyone can tell me if/where these connect to i'd be stoked

Thanks in advance for any help

Guy

:mrgreen:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: cable identification 4age..

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Looks like one of the TVIS plugs. :-k

Did you transfer all the anciliaries & sensors from the original engine?
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

hmm.. yeah everythings been transferred from the original one, missed a few bits at first, then retrieved them off the old engine again and now the old engine is bare as heh.
ive had a pretty decent look for anywhere it might connect but i couldnt seem to find a place, im sure its there but my brain doesnt seem to compute sometimes, its bound to be somewhere obvious!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The connectors usually end up pretty close to where they should go.

Sure it doesn't go into the vacuum sensor by your hand in the piccy. 8-[ IIRC there's a socket on the underside of it. :whistle:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

haha, if only! theres already a connected plugged into there, black one i think (pretty sure it only goes there too as the cable for that one is quite short) 8)
The blue connector is a longer cable, will go about half way along the inlet manifold underneath it.. tis annoying ay

any idea what those other two cables are?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

The out of focus one looks like the oil pressure sender wire
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

kaiowas - cheers for that, i think you're right there, or at least i think i know where it goes now..

any ideas on the shorter one?

cheers for the help so far, hoping to get the car running again tmrw (after months of laziness and cold weather and holidays heh heh heh :lol: )
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

after a bit more digging on here, im now 100% sure the out of focus cable that kaiowas mentioned is the oil presssure sender cable so thats cool.

The short one ive got no clue still.
The blue one, reading up it does seem like its gonna be a tvis connector, but ive just not seen anywhere it connects to..

the inlet manifold and all the wiring is 1b, and from the original engine.. so cant imagine why i cant find a connector. maybe when its light i need to get under the car again and just move the cable along its length to all possible locations until i see a connector.. hmm.
jimi

Post by jimi »

There's a spare connector under the alternator (quite a long cable on it IIRC) that isn't connected to anything, but I can't remember what colour it is and I'm at work so can't have a look.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Not being funny or anything...but if we knew what colour the actual wires going into the connector(s) were, it would be a lot easier for someone to identify what they plug into....? :thumleft:

Its possible that this connector doesn't NEED to be plugged into anything....? :whistle:
MK1 Power

Post by MK1 Power »

The blue plug definitely looks like the one connected to the T-VIS. :-k

This may help give an indication as to where the T-VIS is connected:

Hope this helps. :thumleft:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

UPDATE:

Thanks for that pic mk1 power, that helped me find the connector. it eluded me before as you cant see it from underneath unless on a strange angle, soon as i saw where it was in that pic, i found it straight away and plugged in!

The longer cable also connected fine to the oil pressure sender so sweet as there too!
Only the one cable left which i dont know about, and from above, below the car today, could not find anywhere or anything it could connect to or a cable that might go to it.. its a very short cable and all the places it can reach, had stuff all there to connect to. Only thing in the general area really is the distributor.

For more detail, the cable itself IS a blade/slide on type one, kind of like how a regular fuse fits.

The wire itself is grey with a white stripe on it..

any help on that and im more or less set! exhaust manifold is back on, all other wires reconnected. just got to fill with fluids, charge the batt, bleed clutch etc and it should be a go.. just this one cable i dont know about..

Cheers again for all the help so far, legends!

Guy
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Only 3 connections that I know of round there are the Dizzy, oil pressure sender and the fan.

All those done? :-k

I can't remember if the AC wiring is present in the UK cars.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

cable to the dizzy, the fan and the sender are all now plugged in.
maybe its just a random spare cable? On engine removal I remembered most cables I disconnected, but this one I don't, so its possible i guess it was never connected? Its so annoying how one cable can perplex me so much! :lol:

only other thing to note of the cable, is when the oil pressure sender cable is connected, that wire is natrually pulled towards the same area, but is MUCH shorter, and the only thing within reach really is the dizzy. But i just couldnt find anything within its reach it could connect to, argh!

thanks again for the reply tho limey!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Was looking at my loom earlier (hauled it out of the shed) and the boxy connector next to the dizzy doesn't connect into anything AFAIK. The one on my loom was quite heavily corroded.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

thanks limey, you're a star! car will no barring any unforeseen screw-ups by me, be running on tue/wed again! woohoo!

Will let you all know how it goes, thanks again for the help :thumleft:

Guy
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

There is a blade type connector that joins the loom via another connector on that side of the engine.

It is a ground that bolts directly to the bolt at the bottom of the coil pack/ignitor. Maybe thats it.
Smallport 4AGTE
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

mk1chris, have checked today but that cable is already plugged in, this one is way to short to even get a 1/5 of the way to the coil pack!

progress today anyway has been ok, gearbox oil refilled, cooling system back together once more.

Only one stubborn thing that I'm stuck on at the moment is the top gearlever cable where it connects to the gearbox (over that bearing thing). It simply wont go on. Im sure it came off originally easily, and im sure during the put back together stage of the car i temp fitted it back on with no hassle. Now it wont go back on no matter what ive tried! Is winding me up a bit. Might search the forum and see what I can find on it.

Anyway car should soon be running, with any luck :D.. then itll prob be off the road for ages again while i get the rust sorted #-o

G
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

oh just forgot aswell, the ONLY other problem I have is the cable that connects to the top of the alternator (visible with coolant expansion removed) which has the two blades on it.. Both of the blades have snapped so I cant connect one of the wires to it. Are there any quick fixes for this? can I just use another blade connector underneath the cable so its held in place and connect that to the existing wire?

Cher cher

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”