Brake Pedal creeps down... MOT failure... :(

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeymax

Brake Pedal creeps down... MOT failure... :(

Post by monkeymax »

My '2 failed the MOT on a few points... One of which was this:
"Brake pedal creeps down while the pedal is held under pressure (3.3.B.1a)"
Anyone knows what that means?

The other points were:
Offside Rear @ bleed screw Brake caliper(s) leaking (3.6.A.1)
Nearside Rear Road wheel bead rim badly distorted (4.2.1a)

The bleed screw really really irritates me, as the rear calipers are brand new (okay, newly refurbed but still) items from Brakes International. Only a few months old and done all of 10 fri88ing miles on the road. FFS.

What does the last point mean? That the alloy is dead?

Any info greatly appreciated before I call the test station up... (Found all this out thanks to the power of the 'net - no idea why the garage hasn't called me yet... :( )
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Brake Pedal creeps down... MOT failure... :(

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Pedal creep is probably due to the caliper leak Max, it's pushing fluid out of the system so will continue to sink under pressure IYSWIM.

Not sure about the wheel bit mate. :-k
sketch

Post by sketch »

monkeymax wrote:
Nearside Rear Road wheel bead rim badly distorted (4.2.1a)

Wouldn't that simply be a dink to the edge of the alloy ? :-k
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I know my rear alloys are buckled, so I suspect that that's what they're referring to. I have plenty of spare wheels, but none with tyres, so I'm probably going to pop down there later on with one of the wheels and ask them to swap tyres over. The alloys were all going for a refurb next month anyway, so it's not something I wasn't expecting - just never thought it'd fail an MOT on it... :evil:
coverco

Post by coverco »

Agree with Chris, the bleed nipple leaking will allow the brake pedal to go down, any motor factor will be able to sell you a replacement bleed nipple for a few pennies.

Can you not just stick your spare on for the MOT? Sounds like your tester is a bit keen though. Does this mean your car will be back on the road soon \:D/
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

the leak from the bleed nipple could simply be it needs tightening a bit or a bit of grit has got in the thread and is stopping it seating properly. get your small spanners out and have a look.
a lot of garages will not (or are not allowed? ) make even obvious minor repais or adjustments.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Cheers for the suggestions guys.
At the moment I'm getting fobbed off with excuses by the garage trying to speak to the MOT tester, so am getting nowhere. :x

I am now thinking I may just stick the spare on for MOT, but put my space saver spare in the frunk (i.e. from the shed at home! :lol: ) just to get it through...

I agree the brake points are probably related. I hope so. But the rear calipers are newly refurbed items - as are the bleed nipples. So I'm hoping it's just not done up fully (in which case, that's my fault... ](*,) ).

When I popped over to the place an hour ago, they wouldn't even let me into the yard where the '2 is to have a look at it and work out what was going on. :x

Sodding MOT. 3 years ago it was taken for a joy-ride when it went in for its MOT. Then the next place mucked up the headlight adjustment bolts when doing the adjustment. And now this. :x

Tommy - yes, hopefully it'll be back on the road soon! \:D/ But not for long, as it's then off to a bodyshop for some touching up. Providing this MOT doesn't cost me too much! Then I'll get to enjoy summer in it again! \:D/ Though chances are this good weather we're having now is it - while I can't drive the car - and it'll rain the rest of the year.

(Sorry for the rant!)
sketch

Post by sketch »

monkeymax wrote:

When I popped over to the place an hour ago, they wouldn't even let me into the yard where the '2 is to have a look at it and work out what was going on. :x

Jeez Max :shock: that sounds mighty harsh. I think I've been rather lucky with my MoT place (in Coventry), they let me do all the 'in car' stuff (light, wiper, brake operation etc...)

They let me mooch about with them while they check the underneath, suspension, brakes, wheels. Which is a good chance to look for potential rust issues down the line. :( :lol:

So another garage off the list for you :-s I hope they dont start arsing you about dude, best of luck.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Cheers Cas.

I've picked up the car. I may have been a tad cruel about the tester... He was actually a really pleasant chap... :lol: Oops.
He wouldn't have failed the wheel if he didn't fail the car due to the brake caliper. It may have been an advisory though.

He'd checked the bleed nipple wasn't loose, it wasn't. It's ruined and is actually leaking. :-: Going to have to look into this further ASAP.

Worked out a way around the wheel problem though... ;)

Cars. Who'd have 'em?
sketch

Post by sketch »

monkeymax wrote:

Cars. Who'd have 'em?

Y'know I was starting to get really pished off with the mk1, especially when his wipers gave up in the middle of a dark, unlit, stormy motorway.

I then drove the sillycar for two weeks and really enjoyed it. Not having to worry about every strange knock or whine. It kinda gave me my confidence back. 8)

Got back in the 2 yesterday and boy did I realise what I was missing. :-s
Loved every minute of my journey, even getting blown about on the M27. :lol:

Once she's back on the road you'll forget all the bad bits....honest. :wink:
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

monkeymax wrote:My '2 failed the MOT on a few points... One of which was this:
"Brake pedal creeps down while the pedal is held under pressure (3.3.B.1a)"
Anyone knows what that means?

Often this can mean the seals in the brake master cylinder are on their way out and if so, the unit needs replacing asap. (I had similar symtoms with my clutch pedal on my mk1 where sometimes the pedal would sink to the floor but the clutch hadn't actually responded/disengaged)

A good way to spot this is to ever so slowly (and lightly) press on the brake and if the seals are going it will slowly creep down and can even hit the floor despite you only pressing ever so lightly and slowly over maybe 30 seconds... It might take a few attempts to catch the seals in this 'blow by' condition

Conversley if you stab/pump at the brake the worn seals will bellow out to give a good seal and you will get a firm brake action as if there is nothing wrong (no creep)

You don't need a leak anywhere for this to happen so it can repeat this trick again and again over the course of days or weeks if you ignore it.

Eventually the symptoms become more pronounced and scary... :pale:

However, it could just be due to the leaky caliper (and/or air in the system) if it has only just started doing it but if you were getting regular pedal creep due to fluid loss then you would probably run out of brake fluid within a very short time.
Last edited by JMR_AW11 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

monkeymax wrote:
I am now thinking I may just stick the spare on for MOT, but put my space saver spare in the frunk (i.e. from the shed at home! :lol: ) just to get it through...

If it's a full size spare, just put that on and don't bother with the spare. They cannot fail you for not having one :)
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Hi Max just a little bit of info Im not sure if you are aware of, But, MOT testing stations by law MUST have an MOT viewing are etc YOU must be aloud to view the MOT being done and TBH I always watch it/them to make sure all is ok + its a good chance to get under the car whilst standing :clap:
My testing station always lets me have a good look :thumleft:

If they aint got nothing to hide. All should be ok.

They by law must let you view MOT test
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”