engine swap!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

justarn

engine swap!

Post by justarn »

hey ppl... had a suspected ringland failer ran through that on ma previous post, thanks for your time all! picked up a 70 though lump today 450 british pounds with clock n sevise history :mrgreen:

attempting gettin my old lump out next weekend, is the whole subframe out the bottom the best way?

i just want a reliable standard rev1, would forges b advised?

also it was overboosting too about 12psi before it failed, guess the new lump wont solve this! the pipes were all nice an tight, why would it overboost? do you think this is enough too melt a ringland! it stopped showing overboost when i connected my greddy fcd controller properly after my garage done some work an never reconnected it? its always boosted to 12! was running nice n rich too!

turbo is gettin reconed too as it really needs it, perhaps a bit of impella caused my failure?

mr2 turbo, mk1 golf lol?
had my mr for 6 mnth drove for one, prob after prob.... was a golf man!
Frustrated Pilot

Re: engine swap!

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

have no idea what you are talking about.. but i presume you are trying to remove the engine through the bottom of the car. if so.. carry on it is the only way.
justarn

Post by justarn »

sorry maybe ive tryed to cram it all in two paragraphs! the old engine thats still in the car was overboosting and has got a suspected ringland failure! :-k

basically need to know y its overboosting and any tips on the swap?
i had a recon ecu fitted and my garage didnt reconnect my greddy fcd controller( guessin this lets you boost more than standard with out it cutting to safe mode?) i thought it was overboosting an going into safe mode due to my boost controller running slightly more than standard? does that sound right) so i reconnected the greddy device and it stopped going into safe mode and it showed a rich airfuel mix? an hours driving later its blowing blue smoke out the oil breather! the garage put crap fuel in it too, i octane boosted it straight away!

can anyone steer me in the right direction? anyone think my overboosting is related to my ringland failure?

my turbo is also in poor condition so thats getting reconed b4 my new lump goes in(new lump is just that no turbo, plenum, or gearbox ect)!

please bare with me as im new too turbos, a little knowlege is dangerous! :lol: 8-[
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

If the turbo was overboosting then the VSV valve could be broken, and it could be letting all the pressure through and not opening the wastegate. Check all the small vac pipes between the turbo and the actuator. also the actuator could be weak or broken.

If you are getting a reconditioned turbo, see if you can get a CT20b from a REV3 tubby. Spools quicker, less lag, and can take you to 300bhp with the other rev3 parts (injectors, cams etc) and some bolt on mods.

Return to “Mechanical”