Throttle Cable Problems

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FossMan

Throttle Cable Problems

Post by FossMan »

Today when I was out driving I was sudddenly able to put my right foot to the floor with no resistance. "Hang on, my throttle cable has gone" I thought, but when I got out of the car I found that the cable pulley on the bracket had snapped. Not 100% sure what caused this but the cable looks frayed and has possibly caused the mechanism to jam.

Luckily, I have a spare bracket/pulley in the garage (these are discontinued) but I want to replace the accelerator cable when i fit it.

A search on the forum led me to this guide:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsp97

via this thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ator+cable

Just wondering if anyone knows what guage/length cable I would need and where I might get it from? I desperately want to do this 'the easy way' if possible, as a new cable from Toyota is £101 + VAT :o
coverco

Re: Throttle Cable Problems

Post by coverco »

The cable length is 349cm, I know this because I measured it for Jimi who is making up some kits. Give him a PM and he might be able to help :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

just go to B&Q,buy 4m of cable off the reel (they all stock it) and thread it up the inside of the old outer cable.... secure at each end with solderless nipples or cut an electrical choccy block up (use the brass innards),job sorted,total cost £5.50
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I did as above and used the electric blocks as I couldn't find the solderless nipples. I think it cost less then a fiver
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

4m of cable from a motorbike garage - 60p per metre = £2.40
2 'nipples' (1 big one for the pedal, 1 small for the engine) - 50p ea = £1.00

Bracket/pulley (spare from the garage) = £0.00

Total DIY price £3.40 as opposed to £101+VAT for just the cable from Toyota. So thanks all for your advice. The whole thing only took an hour or so to fix. We put a small blob of solder on the end of the cable and greased the whole thing before sliding it through the outer cable and it went in really easily.

Only problem now is that I pulled the car off a dual carriageway up a small curb when the cable pulley broke, which snapped my old rusty ARB mount! ](*,) So that's a job to be fixed tomorrow. I think that is going to be another DIY effort on the cheap though. I have some beefy ARB mounts off a mk3 VW Polo that seem to line up nicely.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”