ae101 engine into an mr2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazybrightman

ae101 engine into an mr2

Post by crazybrightman »

hi ive got an ae101 4agze engine with loom and an ae92 ecu.

now looking at the loom i cant see how its going to fit very well without some serious rewiring as the fusebox is totaly different etc. also im junking the supercharger in favour of a turbocharger which complicates things even further. i'm going to get rid of the superchargers strange remote throttle body and fit an n/a small port inlet manifold and throttle body. i realise this gives me even more head aches as ill loose the idle speed control valve. then ive noticed that there apears to be a solenoid for the fuel pressure regulators which seems odd as the fpr is usually directly linked to the manifold pressure to gain the correct fueling, soes anyone know if this is normal?

basicaly has anyone fitted am ae101 or ae92 4agze into the a mr2? as if i can get that bit sorted out then i can sort my other problems out, currently i have no base to work from with me having the wrong ecu aswell. any links to the wiring diagrams would be useful also.
also what did you do about the coolant housing on the end of the cylinder head as the mr2 one is straight through and the 4agze one is at a right angle but i cant swap them over as the new one has 2 sensors and the old one only a single sensor.

cheers, neil
4agte on the way
kaiowas

Re: ae101 engine into an mr2

Post by kaiowas »

Pretty sure MartG has done this so he should be of some help. I've nearly finished an SC conversion although I'm not actually sure which of my stuff was Corolla and which was MR2.

I do know a bit about the coolant temp sensors though. Although the Corolla has them both on the head outlet, the MR2 has one on the head outlet and one on the thermostat housing, can't see any reason why running them in the standard MR2 locations would cause issues. If needs be I'm pretty sure the mr2 head outlet has a second boss which could be drilled out and tapped if you needed to run them both from there.

Wiring wise I didn't have to go near the fusebox. The only connections from the engine loom to the car was the N1 connector in the boot and the M1 connector in the engine bay (where the earth terminal from the battery connects to the chassis rail) but then my loom is of unknown origin - most things on it point to it being an MR2 loom and I know it's been in an MR2 before but the coolant temperature sensor plugs look like the type used on Corollas and wouldn't connect to my MR2 sensors so I'm not sure if you can get away with that.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

What makes you think you have a AE101/AE111 engine and a AE92 ecu?

Are you sure the engine isn't a AE92 small port 4agze?

Yes the engine swap has been done lots of times, the wiring, MArt G is the man to help, i'm currently trying to wire my AE92 small port engine in

As for losing the idle etc, use a mk2 N/a throttle body, it still has the stepper motor etc on it.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

thats great if the mk2 tb fits! does it line up with the 4age manifold correctly ie with the breather hole and that?

well its an ae101 loom when looking at the connectors on for the ecu. but the guy i bought it off couldn't find the ecu so got one off a guy in aus for an ae92 as aparantly the knock map isnt so sensative which was an issue with the ae101 ecu. anyhow looking at the ae92 to ae101 ecu i just need to swap 4 wires around to make it run as they changed them around for some reason or other.

im certain its a small port aswell as it has coil ignition and a map sensor so is either a late ae92 or ae101 but from the wiring im going with ae101.
until i get a wiring diagram which i bet is on one of the aus or nz forums i cant really look into triming the loom down for my needs.

the way i look at it as long as i has the cam sensor, map, lambda, inlet temp, tps and coolant temp sensors connected it hould run ok. all the other valves and stuff are either emissons related for evap (which the mr2 doesnt have) or for idle control but i have no pas, aircon etc as its a track car so should be manualy be able to set the idle speed and im not keep on the stupid high revving cold start so that can go.
but if the mk2 tb fits then it should idle spot on.
my only concern is the fact the sc has about a million vac hoses so sorting them out could be interesting.
oh and the fact the fpr seems to have a solenoid in its line so the ecu controls when it raises the fuel pressure which seems very odd to me.
but i have a wideband so can check the fueling out when its running and see if i can connect the fpr direct to the inlet manifold without it overfueling etc.
4agte on the way
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

Why not do away with the stock wiring and Megasquirt it? (Or similar off the shelf, if you have the £££'s)?

If you've already got wideband it makes a lot of sense.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

well im trying to see if its possible to use what i have. in theory it should be. and im trying to keep myself to a limit if i go megasquirt etc then ill be wanting 300-400bhp and the costs for that get silly.
as things stand on the standard ecu i should be running about 200bhp which will be enough....for now :D
4agte on the way
MartG

Post by MartG »

AE92 wiring diagrams - AE101 is pretty much identical, though some of the colour codes may be different

3 images - when doing my conversion I printed them out and sellotaped them together :lol:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pag ... _ECU_1.jpg
http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pag ... _ECU_2.jpg
http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pag ... _ECU_3.jpg
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

If you are worried about the throttle body you can just do as I have done for the moment, and use a mk1 NA throttle body with the idle control disconnected. It works fine.
Smallport 4AGTE
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

thats for all the info guys. i shall see what i can make out of what ive got. just need the ae101 wiring diagram to make things a little easier but there should be one of those around somewhere!
im still confused by toyotas ecu controls though alot of it seems very basic and un required, they seem to over complicate things for no reason.
4agte on the way
MartG

Post by MartG »

crazybrightman wrote: just need the ae101 wiring diagram to make things a little easier but there should be one of those around somewhere!

Sadly there doesn't seem to be one available anywhere, or at least there wasn't when I was doing my swap a couple of years ago. The AE92 one is pretty much identical though
dex

Post by dex »

MartG

Post by MartG »

There's a lot of info here

http://www.club4ag.com/technical_content.htm#4A-GE/GZE Specifications and Data
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Just to let you know I found those AE92 pinouts had some inconsistancys :shock:

They were mostly correct but some were reversed.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

well iirc i now have 2 or 3 different sources sent me for the pin outs on an ae101 ecu and an ae92 ecu so ill print them off and cross examine them to make sure. at the minute im no where near the wiring stage the engine needs stripping and checking yet but i want to make sure it will work and run before i go to all that trouble.
i still cant work out why theres a vsv for the fpr, anyone know why?

cheers, neil.
4agte on the way
MartG

Post by MartG »

Yep - when I was doing my swap I found a couple of pinout which didn't agree with each other - fortunately if you open up the ECU the names of each pin are printed on the circuit board next to the connectors
MartG

Post by MartG »

crazybrightman wrote:
i still cant work out why theres a vsv for the fpr, anyone know why?

It increases the fuel pressure to the injectors as the boost rises
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

yes indeed it does but its not normaly required as the fuel pressure is normaly in proportion to the pressure inside the manifold, therefor its just directly linked the manifold with a rubber pipe etc. but they have fitted a vsv in the line so the ecu can limit when the fuel pressure rises. i can only assume its to run it a bit leaner low down for extra torque, emissions or something.
i may bypass it to begin with as id rather over fuel with the turbo than melt a piston.
4agte on the way
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

i was having a sort out and came across some parts from a 3sge engine i fitted to a celica a while back and there was a throttlebody. now although theres no stepper motor fitted (i had to take it off as the other one was damaged iirc) it looks like a mk2 mr2 one to me?

it doesnt fit the 4age manifold how ever the base is too large and the suds are too short but i could sort that easy enough. i would have to make anplate to go between the tb and the manifold aswell but everything line up ok reference tps, throttle cable etc. the cold start on the bottom is a little different but i could probably sort that out.

does it look like the tb you were on about?

4agte on the way

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”